Page 1 of 2
Did you guys hear that Satch has switched to Marshall JVM 410s for his Chickenfoot live rig? Why do you think this is? After all, the JSX should be THE tone that he views as "ideal".

I think that maybe he couldn't get a good 80's rock tone out of the JSX, and so he's just using the Marshalls for Chickenfoot.

My other theory is that there is some bad blood between him and Peavey now. Who knows?
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by ibz_bucket
Did you guys hear that Satch has switched to Marshall JVM 410s for his Chickenfoot live rig? Why do you think this is? After all, the JSX should be THE tone that he views as "ideal".

I think that maybe he couldn't get a good 80's rock tone out of the JSX, and so he's just using the Marshalls for Chickenfoot.

My other theory is that there is some bad blood between him and Peavey now. Who knows?
um or could it just be that he liked the Marshall better?
Quote by al112987
um or could it just be that he liked the Marshall better?

No because that would be logical.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
I read his PEAVEY contract is only valid in the US, and chickenfoot is soon to be doing a large tour in the UK and is free to use what he wants...

not sure for sure, but thats what i heard
Peavey JSX 120 Half Stack
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE
Mockingbird Special(White)

Set sail to sea but pulled off course by the light of golden treasure --Hetfield, the Unforgiven Pirate

So I dub Thee Unforgiven Three! -How it should have been
JVM Series gets a lot of unfair criticisms imo

Sure it ain't the best amp in the world but it is a good versatile mid range tube amp imo.

The marshall tone and his JSX tone are so different though. I'm presuming it's to suit the style of music he plays in chickenfoot in contrast to his idea of 'tone' apparent in his solo albums. I've never liked joe's tone, sounds way to digital to me.

No denying he's a brilliant player though
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Last edited by sharpant at Aug 6, 2009,
Satriani used Marshall amps on his earlier albums, he used a limited edition 6100LM for a long time IIRC. He's also used many other amps, Marshall or otherwise. He had been in talks with Cornford about a signiture amplifer (a 100W version of the MK50H, though Paul Cornford says Satriani preferred the 50W models to the prototype they built), but that never came to fruition.

On some level or another I think it could be a money thing. Cornford could never offer the endorsement deal Peavey could afford to, and Marshall can probably outbid Peavey. I think the same is true of Paul Gilbert. He used Laney amps for years and then switched to Marshall Vintage Modern amps, I don't believe for a moment that he prefers the sound (I know he has used Cornfords for that matter too).
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
It's very clear guys...he demands more crushing overdrive...

srsly though

they probably gave him alota money
and lets face it, who doesn't want money?
Quote by JacobTheMe
JacobTheEdit: Hell yeah Ruben.

Quote by Jackal58
I met Jesus once. Cocksucker still owes me 20 bucks.
Quote by diofan88
It's very clear guys...he demands more crushing overdrive...

srsly though

they probably gave him alota money
and lets face it, who doesn't want money?

If I was a professional guitarist I doubt I'd take any kinda cash to sacrifice my dream tone.

I'm pretty sure Joe does very well for himself with ibanez /dimarzio/dvds/magazine deals etc
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Wow, has Marshall become so disliked on this forum that the entire thought that the JVM is a better sounding amp than a Peavey apparently has not come across anyone else's mind?

It always has to be...
"Marshall must be paying him!"
"There must be bad blood between him and Peavey!"
"It's to suit his tone in Chickenfoot better!"

I'm amazed, especially since the JVM actually does sound better than the Peavey.
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 6, 2009,
Quote by al112987
Wow, has Marshall become so disliked on this forum that the entire thought that the JVM is a better sounding amp than a Peavey apparently has not come across anyone else's mind?

It always has to be...

I'm amazed, especially since the JVM actually does sound better than the Peavey.

+1

because of 1 bad amp people here hate marshall and jump on the bandwagon. GET OFF IT. IMO marshall while overpriced is at least trying to make it up with the haze and class 5
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by al112987
Wow, has Marshall fallen so far from grace that the entire thought that the JVM is a better sounding amp than a Peavey apparently has not come across anyone else's mind?

It always has to be...

Joe was involved in the developent of the JSX. I'm sure had he wanted it to sound like a JVM, it would have. Not only that, but he could have had the JSX redesigned as a JSX MKII to sound more like a JVM had his tastes changed. Peavey were paying him. Why would he move?

Marshall is paying him more, or there is some disagreement between him and Peavey, or the JSX just doesn't really suit what he's doing at the moment and he either doesn't wish to redesign the JSX to suit it, or Peavey don't want the bother of building amps for him that sound like JVMs and have allowed him to use the JVMs for Chickenfoot.
I liked the JVM and vintage modern. just too much for a new amp here in the US. you can sweet deals on the vintage modern used on craigslist.

whatever suits joe. Artist switch amps like crazy. only few artist are super consistent like joe and paul were.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by Bostonrocks
+1

because of 1 bad amp people here hate marshall and jump on the bandwagon. GET OFF IT. IMO marshall while overpriced is at least trying to make it up with the haze and class 5
If there is one brand as a whole that is actually underrated on this site, it's Marshall, and if there is one brand as a whole that is overrated on this site, it's Peavey. Seriously, not everything sounds like an MG, and an MG being as bad as it is, is certainly no worse than most other cheap solid state amps in their class.

And I'm not bashing Peavey, they make great products, good quality, affordable prices, they're an awesome value and truly work house amps, but we're talking about Satch here, who isn't a 16 year old who plays death metal with only $500 to spend on an amp. And honestly, blind test and don't take into account price, someone honestly tell me that the JSX is a better amp than the JVM. I rag on Marshall for making crappy plexi reissues, they truly suck compared to boutique clones and adaptations, even their overpriced handwired models, but as far as the mainstream market goes, Marshall is still one of the best, and the fact that they have been so successful in the past and are so popular now has apparently caused such a backlash that apparently they've even fallen below Peavey in terms of being able to put out a good amp.
Quote by Prophet of Page
Joe was involved in the developent of the JSX. I'm sure had he wanted it to sound like a JVM, it would have. Not only that, but he could have had the JSX redesigned as a JSX MKII to sound more like a JVM had his tastes changed. Peavey were paying him. Why would he move?

Marshall is paying him more, or there is some disagreement between him and Peavey, or the JSX just doesn't really suit what he's doing at the moment and he either doesn't wish to redesign the JSX to suit it, or Peavey don't want the bother of building amps for him that sound like JVMs and have allowed him to use the JVMs for Chickenfoot.
What is the point of having Peavey redesign the amplifier to sound like another amp that you could very well go out and get already? How has it become so illogical that if Joe liked the JVM that he would decide that he wants to start using it as his main amp? Is this a more likely scenario?

"Hey Hartley, yeah so I played a JVM the other day, man it really smokes, can you redesign the JSX to sound like it and I'll stay with you guys? Otherwise, I think I'm just gonna start using the JVM from now on"

Is it really more likely he doesn't just play the Marshall in order to preserve Peavey's endorsement of him? Come on...
I wasn't saying at all that Marshall are bad amps. However, the JSX should have been exactly what Satch wanted, and even if his tastes changed, I'm sure Peavey would have been happy to have it redesigned. Obviously, there is either some sort of conflict between Satch and Peavey, or Marshall is offering him more money. I'm not saying that Marshalls are bad in any way, shape or form. However, if one has a signature amp, that should be THE only amp the person needs.
Quote by sg4ever
+15,670,899,554,667,881,999

Quote by CullenT
+15,670,899,554,667,882,000
That was a post of sage advice. Listen to this guy TS.

Quote by AcousticMirror
my parents beat me for a's. I was like wtf and they were like just keeping you on your toes.

RG1570/PRS McCarty
Rebel 30
Quote by ibz_bucket
I wasn't saying at all that Marshall are bad amps. However, the JSX should have been exactly what Satch wanted, and even if his tastes changed, I'm sure Peavey would have been happy to have it redesigned. Obviously, there is either some sort of conflict between Satch and Peavey, or Marshall is offering him more money. I'm not saying that Marshalls are bad in any way, shape or form. However, if one has a signature amp, that should be THE only amp the person needs.
Not really, people's tastes change and sometimes the amp that you ask for does not really turn out the way you envisioned it. If you try to think about what goes into building an amplifier you'd realize that you can't just say... well, I want the something that has the Marshall plexi grind and bark, but with the bottom end of a 5150, and expect your amp to sound like that. And then say if an amp comes by from another manufacturer that you like better, then it's not illogical to switch. Joe doesn't lose anything from it, Marshall can very well make up the endorsement money he loses from Peavey, and he gets to play the amp he wants. The only thing that "wrong" with it is that it shafts Peavey, but Joe staying with Peavey in this situation is more him doing them a favor than anything else if he prefers the Marshall amp.

Think of it this way, he's a high profile artist, if he just wanted to get more endorsement money from a bigger name, he could've gone for the Marshall several years ago. Maybe he wasn't particularly into anything Marshall was doing back in 2003 or whenever, and Peavey offered to design him an amp, so he did, 6 years later, he goes and plays some new Marshalls and he likes them better, guy can switch if he wants, he's Joe Satriani. People who think that he can just go to Peavey and have them build him something like the JVM really don't understand how this works. Just because someone builds you a signature amp does not mean it's the only amp you should ever need. EVH had a signature amp and he jumped ship to Fender, who ironically designed an amp, that sounds almost exactly like his old Marshalls did.
marshall dont pay people who use their amps they are all about if an artist uses their amp thats good and if the dont that fine
jackson dk2 2008
hamer xt sunburst qt
epiphone g400
peavey vk212
morley p wah
behringer pb1000
dige bm
big muff ny
behringer dc 9 comp
member of the Jackson/Charvel Owners Club

£8.50/58fund for a ROCKTRON HUSH SUPER C PEDAL
Quote by al112987
What is the point of having Peavey redesign the amplifier to sound like another amp that you could very well go out and get already?

I certainly don't believe a player like Satriani is entirely satisfied with the JVM, almost certainly there is something about it he'd change or redesign, and he has the influence to have it done. EVH was the same, Marshall wouldn't make Marshalls how he wanted them, so Peavey did.

Quote by al112987
How has it become so illogical that if Joe liked the JVM that he would decide that he wants to start using it as his main amp?

Let's say he likes it. Simple as that, he just prefers an amp whose creation he had no influence on over an amp he designed. He's still in an endorsement contract with Peavey that he would have to break from. Peavey still produce the JSX and advertise it as his signiture amp, so I'd assume they are within their rights in doing so, so the contract likely still stands. I know that some of the big names have signituure gear but are allowed to use other brands aswell (Eric Johnson still regularly uses Gibsons), it's entirely possible that Joe is allowed use Marshalls in Chickenfoot for a similar reason or indeed for the reason that the gigs aren't promoted under his name, but rather the band name.

Quote by al112987
Is this a more likely scenario?

"Hey Hartley, yeah so I played a JVM the other day, man it really smokes, can you redesign the JSX to sound like it and I'll stay with you guys? Otherwise, I think I'm just gonna start using the JVM from now on"

Yes, I believe it is, it would deinitely be easier than ending his involvement with the company entirely. I think it's entirely possible aswell that Joe still prefers the JSX and has been offered an endorsement deal with Marshall that significantly better than the deal with Peavey and has been supplied with JVMs for the near future, and that Peavey will stop making the JSX after a fixed date in the near future, after which we'll see the beginning of a JS JVM series from Marshall.

If money isn't a factor why didn't he stick with Cornford?

Quote by al112987
Is it really more likely he doesn't just play the Marshall in order to preserve Peavey's endorsement of him? Come on...

If Joe still agrees to use the Peavey's for his solo projects, why not? I don't care what company Joe is endorsing, but why would he go to the bother of jumping brands? The amp being good enough just isn't the reason, again, look at what happened with him and Cornford.
Quote by al112987
Not really, people's tastes change and sometimes the amp that you ask for does not really turn out the way you envisioned it.

Exactly, you don't like it and then you stick with it for nearly 8 years.

Quote by al112987
If you try to think about what goes into building an amplifier you'd realize that you can't just say... well, I want the something that has the Marshall plexi grind and bark, but with the bottom end of a 5150, and expect your amp to sound like that.

Hence the purpose of prototypes. You try something, and if it's not right you try again.

Quote by al112987
And then say if an amp comes by from another manufacturer that you like better, then it's not illogical to switch.

He's still regularly using Cornfords in the studio, why not stick with them? Blind test an MK50H and a JVM, forgetting about the price (it's unfair, but you used this argument earlier, so why not?)

Quote by al112987
Joe doesn't lose anything from it, Marshall can very well make up the endorsement money he loses from Peavey, and he gets to play the amp he wants. The only thing that "wrong" with it is that it shafts Peavey, but Joe staying with Peavey in this situation is more him doing them a favor than anything else if he prefers the Marshall amp.

He loses the control of his name and likeness until the date the contract determines Peavey is forced to stop making the JSX.

Quote by al112987
Think of it this way, he's a high profile artist, if he just wanted to get more endorsement money from a bigger name, he could've gone for the Marshall several years ago.

Maybe Peavey offered him more back then? Maybe Marshall only recently decided he was wroth more to them than Peavey were willing to pay him?

Quote by al112987
Maybe he wasn't particularly into anything Marshall was doing back in 2003 or whenever, and Peavey offered to design him an amp, so he did, 6 years later, he goes and plays some new Marshalls and he likes them better, guy can switch if he wants, he's Joe Satriani.

It's still not an easy thing to do, even if that is the case.

Quote by al112987
People who think that he can just go to Peavey and have them build him something like the JVM really don't understand how this works.

Then how does it work? Vai didn't like anything Ibanez offered back in '87, so they made the JEM, which was more similar to the Jacksons/Charvels he'd been using.

Quote by al112987
Just because someone builds you a signature amp does not mean it's the only amp you should ever need.

I agree.

Quote by al112987
EVH had a signature amp and he jumped ship to Fender, who ironically designed an amp, that sounds almost exactly like his old Marshalls did.

They're were essentially the old Marshall's in new casings! He didn't suddenly find a Fender amp that was to his tastes.
the JSX WAS NOT DESIGNED to be the only amp Satriani ever plays. it was designed to work well on the stage to cover all the sounds he gets in the studio for his solo work. and guess what he uses in the studio? anything he damn well wants.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Maybe Joe just liked how the JSX sounds in the studio, and how the JVM sounds live?

I mean, I personally like the JVM 410. WAAAAAAYYYYYYYY overpriced, but it's still one of the best modern Marshalls. It ousts the JCM2000 and 900 (except the SLX) in my book, and I personally like it more than the JSX. Maybe Joe just wanted a different sound. What's the big deal with that?

STREDIT: ^ +1
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Satch is a man, Men got GAS, simple as that.
Quote by ljohn
The thing is, in a band like chickenfoot, think of the JSX as a submarine and the Marshall as a plane. No matter how good the submarine is, it might be the perfect submarine, if you need a plane, a submarine ain't gonna do it for you.
This isn't Joe Satriani, it's Chickenfoot. I'm sure he got out of the contract on that one.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by ibz_bucket
I wasn't saying at all that Marshall are bad amps. However, the JSX should have been exactly what Satch wanted,

The thing is, in a band like chickenfoot, think of the JSX as a submarine and the Marshall as a plane. No matter how good the submarine is, it might be the perfect submarine, if you need a plane, a submarine ain't gonna do it for you.
better than the JSX imo. Thing sounds like a solid state.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Omygodsatchisusingmarshall
So what. He can use whatever he wants. And to everyone who said 'Marshall must be paying him more' you're wrong. Nobody ever said he endorses Marshall or anything like that. He just uses the JVM for Chickenfoot because its better suited to the tone he wants for that than the JSX. He still endorses Peavey.
He's never used the JSX exclusively even for his solo work, there is no one 'dream tone' - he'd want different things to convey different moods in different pieces etc

As for chickenfoot, its kinda obvious why he'd want a different amp - its a totally different band with a different 'feel'. Its meant to be a van halen-esque rock band so the marshall will cater to it better than the JSX
Gear
ESP LTD Truckster James Hetfield Sig
120W Bugera 333 Amp
Harley Benton G212 Vintage Cab

Desired Gear
ESP EX Diamond
ISP Decimator
EHX Metal Muff
MXR 10-Band EQ

C4C
Illusory Master
I wonder if good ol' Kirk Hammett uses his signature amp?

If Satch wants to use Marshalls, good luck to him. I still think that some of the CF songs would sound better with the gain dial turned down a bit.
Quote by al112987

It always has to be...

They have. I know I give them some bad mouth. But still their classic models are great, I just find their new models to leave a lot to be desired and that many of their amps are overpriced. But my amp of chocie is a copy of a Marshall 1974 and my all time dream amp is an original JTM45...
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
This isn't Joe Satriani, it's Chickenfoot. I'm sure he got out of the contract on that one.

Chickenfoot is endorsed by Peavey too.
He could be using a marshall clean channel + the satchurator.. well that is his signature tone in a box he said.
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
I was at a chickenfoot concert the other day and he was definitely using JVM's. He uses a lot more crunch tones for Chickenfoot - he's not just playing solos. I suspect he prefers the crunch tone of JVM's to that of his Peaveys (which doesn't necessarily mean he doesn't prefer the lead tone of the Peavey's crunch channel plus his Satchurator).
Ibanez S320 with Dimarzio Fred + Seymour Duncan 59-> Weeping Demon Wah -> Ibanez TS-7 -> Homemade iBoost x3 -> Keeley DS-1 -> Visual Sound H2O -> MXR Ten Band -> Traynor YCV20
Quote by Zapher
Satch is a man, Men got GAS, simple as that.

Pretty sure this is the best explanation.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by Gabel
They have. I know I give them some bad mouth. But still their classic models are great, I just find their new models to leave a lot to be desired and that many of their amps are overpriced. But my amp of chocie is a copy of a Marshall 1974 and my all time dream amp is an original JTM45...
I've made some negative comments as well and I'm definitely not saying everyone who bashes Marshall are haters or anything. In your case it makes perfect sense, I know the kinds of amps you prefer, and for someone who likes the kind of Marshall amps that you do, making negative comments about their modern amps in comparison to their more renown vintage models is simply displaying a matter of taste. Because, to someone who has played plexis or other vintage Marshalls, a JVM doesn't really sound that much like a plexi, or jtm45 or 18 watter. You can get a similar kind of voicing, because that general Marshall tone is still there, but in the end, there are little subtleties about the vintage style amps that you gain from playing them, cranking them, gigging them, etc, that separates them and really make those vintage amps stand out.

But there are definitely those who just dislike Marshalls purely as a source of backlash. Of all the boards that I read and post on, this one is by far the most anti-Marshall. Well, except maybe the Metroamp forum and Vintage amp forums, but those places display some of the biggest cases of vintage amp snobbery one will ever see. And sometimes I tend to agree with those folks, just like I agree with you about how old Marshalls sound compared to new ones, but there ARE a fair number of people who hate on Marshalls here and claim, "the old ones are so much better!" don't have the slightest clues what they're talking about as most do their playing through guitar center and have never even been in an environment to ever play amps like that the way they were meant to be played. You're not one of those people, you actually know what a Marshall is supposed to sound like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZAjymRsuY8
A great sounding JVM
Last edited by al112987 at Aug 7, 2009,
More like.. Boldermort...
Quote by slickerthnsleek
YOU WIN THE INTERNET.
Quote by dxpaintball8000
long live bucketmark.
Quote by al112987
I've made some negative comments as well and I'm definitely not saying everyone who bashes Marshall are haters or anything. In your case it makes perfect sense, I know the kinds of amps you prefer, and for someone who likes the kind of Marshall amps that you do, making negative comments about their modern amps in comparison to their more renown vintage models is simply displaying a matter of taste. Because, to someone who has played plexis or other vintage Marshalls, a JVM doesn't really sound that much like a plexi, or jtm45 or 18 watter. You can get a similar kind of voicing, because that general Marshall tone is still there, but in the end, there are little subtleties about the vintage style amps that you gain from playing them, cranking them, gigging them, etc, that separates them and really make those vintage amps stand out.

But there are definitely those who just dislike Marshalls purely as a source of backlash. Of all the boards that I read and post on, this one is by far the most anti-Marshall. Well, except maybe the Metroamp forum and Vintage amp forums, but those places display some of the biggest cases of vintage amp snobbery one will ever see. And sometimes I tend to agree with those folks, just like I agree with you about how old Marshalls sound compared to new ones, but there ARE a fair number of people who hate on Marshalls here and claim, "the old ones are so much better!" don't have the slightest clues what they're talking about as most do their playing through guitar center and have never even been in an environment to ever play amps like that the way they were meant to be played. You're not one of those people, you actually know what a Marshall is supposed to sound like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZAjymRsuY8
A great sounding JVM

Exactly. I was just trying to differentate myself from them. A lot of Marshall hate started about the time when I told I dilsiked the Vintage Modern. Even though I dislike some Marshalls I though the JVM was among the better kind of amps I've played and quite enjoyed the Haze head. I still try to be open, but I agree here people are bashing Marshall. Which means we have the other camp you thinks Marshall are gods instead... You and me, well we're somewhere in the middle
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Page 1 of 2