For those of you've who've seen me around the pit, you'll probably know that i am a MASSIVE Dire Straits fan, so i come to you guys for advice. I'm looking for some way to get the tone knopfler has achieved on the album Making Movies. primarily the tone you'll hear in songs such as Tunnel Of Love and the electric riff at the end of Romeo And Juliet. the tone is both icy clean, yet has a lot of sustain and punch at the same time. If anyone has come anywhere near achieving this tone, it would be great if you could assist.

the gear at my disposable to get this tone is:
A fender Deluxe Reverb amplifier
A Vox AC30 amplifier
A 2004 Gibson Les Paul Standard
An Eric Johnson signature stratocaster
no effects, knopfler doesn't use any anyways
I always plug straight into the amp, and play fingerstyle (no pick)

any help is greatly appreciated.
Quote by Lt. Shinysides
For those of you've who've seen me around the pit, you'll probably know that i am a MASSIVE Dire Straits fan, so i come to you guys for advice. I'm looking for some way to get the tone knopfler has achieved on the album Making Movies. primarily the tone you'll hear in songs such as Tunnel Of Love and the electric riff at the end of Romeo And Juliet. the tone is both icy clean, yet has a lot of sustain and punch at the same time. If anyone has come anywhere near achieving this tone, it would be great if you could assist.

the gear at my disposable to get this tone is:
A fender Deluxe Reverb amplifier
A Vox AC30 amplifier
A 2004 Gibson Les Paul Standard
An Eric Johnson signature stratocaster
no effects, knopfler doesn't use any anyways
I always plug straight into the amp, and play fingerstyle (no pick)

any help is greatly appreciated.

meh Dire Strait sucks... who the hell wants their tone?
Quote by herman ri2
meh Dire Strait sucks... who the hell wants their tone?

Dire Straits are excellent and Knopfler has a great tone...so a lot of people want that tone.

Anyways, TS, I'll have a search and see what I can dig up.

Edit:

Quoted from a similar question I found:

"Well the Strat is a good place to start, it's the right guitar for the song. Since everybody sounds different even on the same equipment this is just a rough ball park estimation, so use the bridge/middle pick-up combination, plug straight into the amp, if your amp has a master volume, turn it up high and use your pre amp vol to bring the sound level up where you want it, very clean no distortion, for the tone controls, bass about a 1/4-1/2 up, treble probaly about 1/2-3/4 up, the midrange is the key, you're going to have to just play and adjust up as you go to find that sweet spot, you'll probaly find it somewhere around a 1/4-1/3 up, use a little reverb if you got it. The sound is really more of a country sound than rock&roll, I know when I first heard it, it really caught my ear, a sweet clean sound, not really pushing the amp at all, one more thing, try backing off the volume and tone pots on the guitar a little bit to take some of the bite off, and the right and left hands are really crucial to that sound too, it's not the typical rock, turn everything on 10, sound, sorry to be so long winded, but I love that tone, good luck and have fun with it!"
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Last edited by Kurapica at Aug 6, 2009,
Quote by Kurapica
Dire Straits are excellent and Knopfler has a great tone...so a lot of people want that tone.

Anyways, TS, I'll have a search and see what I can dig up.

Edit:

Quoted from a similar question I found:

"Well the Strat is a good place to start, it's the right guitar for the song. Since everybody sounds different even on the same equipment this is just a rough ball park estimation, so use the bridge/middle pick-up combination, plug straight into the amp, if your amp has a master volume, turn it up high and use your pre amp vol to bring the sound level up where you want it, very clean no distortion, for the tone controls, bass about a 1/4-1/2 up, treble probaly about 1/2-3/4 up, the midrange is the key, you're going to have to just play and adjust up as you go to find that sweet spot, you'll probaly find it somewhere around a 1/4-1/3 up, use a little reverb if you got it. The sound is really more of a country sound than rock&roll, I know when I first heard it, it really caught my ear, a sweet clean sound, not really pushing the amp at all, one more thing, try backing off the volume and tone pots on the guitar a little bit to take some of the bite off, and the right and left hands are really crucial to that sound too, it's not the typical rock, turn everything on 10, sound, sorry to be so long winded, but I love that tone, good luck and have fun with it!"

Take a look at my avatar and tell me what you see.

If you didn't pick my sarcasm yet, I love Dire Strait and Mark Knopfler is one of my influences.
Knopfler doesn't use effects? In the video for "Money For Nothing" when they show the band on stage you can see Knopfler's got a board with 4 or 5 pedals on it. I know for at least that song he's got a half cocked wah on. I believe he uses a compressor on his clean tone so it's got a lot of sustain and is pretty much, and I want to say it's an old MXR Dyna Comp.
strat and deluxe reverb. (vibrolux would be better.)
i know you said no effects, but forget that. get your hands on a nice compression pedal and use some slight compression. use the middle pickup or middle and bridge together.
Quote by BryanChampine
It was like a orgasm in my ear.
Chea_man is the best.
Quote by herman ri2
Take a look at my avatar and tell me what you see.

If you didn't pick my sarcasm yet, I love Dire Strait and Mark Knopfler is one of my influences.

Yeah, I saw the Knopfler pic after I'd commented and couldn't be bothered to change it ^^ Sarcasm rarely works on the internet, especially when I just read the post.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by RG_FANMAN
Knopfler doesn't use effects? In the video for "Money For Nothing" when they show the band on stage you can see Knopfler's got a board with 4 or 5 pedals on it. I know for at least that song he's got a half cocked wah on. I believe he uses a compressor on his clean tone so it's got a lot of sustain and is pretty much, and I want to say it's an old MXR Dyna Comp.

there are certain songs where he does, but for most songs he plugs straight into the amp

and money for nothing is played with the neck pickup of a les paul, not a wah pedal.

EDIT: also, i'm looking mostly for amp settings and stuff.

SHINYEDIT: i know that on the Making Movies album Knopfler used a Music Man HD 130, but i don't have one of those lol
Last edited by Lt. Shinysides at Aug 6, 2009,