I have a C30 and have been debating going to a Valveking for less of a classic rock/blues tone and closer to a modern rock/light metal tone. Would this be an upgrade?
Quote by drewfromutah
Would this be an upgrade?

Yes or no depending on what you are after. The VK gets heavier tones than the C30. I actually don't like the C30 and like the VK.

Do you want to keep the V18? Maybe sell both amps and pool your funds, then look used and see what's out there. $400-450 goes a long way these days.
the valveking is nice but you will never get as warm and sweet tones as you would in a full tube amp. The valveking being a tube power amp and a digital proccessor.
~Defiant~
Quote by Aurex
the valveking is nice but you will never get as warm and sweet tones as you would in a full tube amp. The valveking being a tube power amp and a digital proccessor.

You couldn't be more wrong.

TS, I'd say go out and test, test, test.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by Aurex

Uhm... no? All tube, dude. (Except the rectifier, which may or may not count.)

Anyway, this is basically preference TS. Do you prefer/want a more classic tone? Classic 30 is the way to go, though it can get pretty damn metal with an OD/Dist. For more modern tones, the Valveking is probably the one to get.

I advise you to play both, pick what you like more.
The Classic 30 can do some metal tones. Tone wise overall, the Classic 30 has better tone imo. The VK is darker and thrives off of 6L6 power tubes and a better speaker. Preamp tube upgrades can help too. There are NO digital circuits or modelling going on as said earlier.

I agree with pooling your cash and surfing craigslist. If you can get up into the 700 - 900 range you can find some absolute killer deals that will take care of all of your needs.

PS: I own a VK and love the C30 too.
If you wish to play blues, country-rock, rock you should stay on C30.V30 have better clean and high gain sound and nothing betwen!