Poll: Can you read music?
Poll Options
View poll results: Can you read music?
I can sight read like a muhfugga!
25 30%
I can read. But like a child sounding out each syllable of Cat in the Hat.
50 60%
I cain't read fuh ****, nukkah.
9 11%
Voters: 84.
read what...
Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
do you mean reading...or sight reading? if its the first one, you're pretty stupid to ask as anyone who would answer no couldn't read your question
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
You sigged me, AND had an idea the same as mine!
I like you.

About my Lady Gaga/Pokemon parody
Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
i learned in a guitar/theory class
i am now way out of practice
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
i kind of gave up on theory for tabs. kinda regretting it now too.
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
I can sightread to an allright level, somewhere between the two options given on the poll.

And I learned from reading bits for electric guitar, but mostly from playing clasical guitar and from my current attempts at learning piano.

Edit: After actually noticing what forum this is in, I can read for bass guitar, but not amazingly, (only been playing bass for a few weeks)
Last edited by *powerslave* at Aug 6, 2009,
Quote by guitar-guy01
do you mean reading...or sight reading? if its the first one, you're pretty stupid to ask as anyone who would answer no couldn't read your question

well, you see. one part of reading that's important is reading "comprehension." (say it with me now ... [cawmp-ree-HEN-shun]) ... now ... within the context of the BASS GUITAR forum of UG ... what do you think i mean?
#DTWD
Quote by Casketcreep
We caught ourselves a smart one.

i'd forgotten that was the name of the poll. even better.
#DTWD
Yeah I can read music. I can sight-read pretty well too. On saxophone I don't even need to think about it. On guitar I'm ok. I'm not so good at bass clef though. I struggle with bass guitar and the left-hand of piano. Like TS says, I'm "like a child sounding out each syllable of Cat in the Hat." I put the first option in the poll because for the most part I can sight-read pretty well.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
well, back in Kindergarten, they showed us letters and thru out elementary school i learned how to read and began reading full books, too. I could even write by 3rd grade O=

EDIT: I had to submit my joke before anyone stole it, so heres the actual relevant part...I can sight read like a child with syllables, probably because i used to b better but its summer break and i have ntohing to read, but It'll probably come back to me beginning of school year.

EDIT 2: *reads full title* forgive me for not beign the brightest enivromentally firendly bulb in the shack (Politically corrected! lol). I learned the notes on each string one at a time. First low E and learned a few songs using the 3 notes on that string and went on and each lesson involved mroe and mroe differnt notes. My teacher was excellent at it, and he had me use a book while i learned.
Try adding more delay.
Last edited by telecastrmastr at Aug 6, 2009,
for a mod you are pretty rude. shame on you.
Quote by edge11

Quote by Wesseem
for a mod you are pretty rude. shame on you.

awwwwww. i'm sorry.

fwenz?
#DTWD
Quote by primusfan
awwwwww. i'm sorry.

fwenz?

we coo'
Quote by edge11

Im renting a cello to teach me to read sheet music. I dont know why I need a diffrent instrument to teach me to read music, but hey, ya know...whatever.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
I can sight-read fairly well if it's relatively under-tempo. I learnt out the ol' handy dandy Hal Leonard's Bass Method Book 1-3 Coil Bound Edition, A.K.A. God's gift to beginning to beginning-intermediate bass players.
I took a beginning bass book that had music and tabs by each other. Then I put masking tape on the tab to force myself to learn the music. I could see through the tape if I had to, but not in my peripherals. Now I can read pretty well.
Quote by telecastrmastr
well, back in Kindergarten, they showed us letters and thru out elementary school i learned how to read and began reading full books, too. I could even write by 3rd grade O=

EDIT: I had to submit my joke before anyone stole it, so heres the actual relevant part...I can sight read like a child with syllables, probably because i used to b better but its summer break and i have ntohing to read, but It'll probably come back to me beginning of school year.

EDIT 2: *reads full title* forgive me for not beign the brightest enivromentally firendly bulb in the shack (Politically corrected! lol). I learned the notes on each string one at a time. First low E and learned a few songs using the 3 notes on that string and went on and each lesson involved mroe and mroe differnt notes. My teacher was excellent at it, and he had me use a book while i learned.

do you remember the book? i'd thought about getting the hal leonard 1-3 bound into one. although i downloaded a real book in bass clef and have been playing through the simpler ones. i also made flash cards from the E below the staff to middle C and quiz myself.
#DTWD
I can sight read in treble and bass clef like a mutha! From God's voice to my hands !! Mwah!!

Seriously, I have rather solid sight reading chops, because that's how I was taught music through 10 years of school band and orchestra. Reading music was considered a primary skill. The bad thing was that we weren't taught anything but cursory theory, so when I went to bass, my improv chops were rather negligible to say the least. I had to learn the theory behind the music I played and really learn to train my ear as a musician.

Edit: On learning. Hal Leonard or Mel Bay are excellent because they give the tools for sight reading in manageable chunks. It helps if you say the note as you play it as well. Also--get some staff paper and write out/ copy bass clef from sheet music. The act of writing it can also help you internalize the knowledge.

To me learning the notes on the staff is easier than learn to read rhythms. For that--I would recommend a metronome and clapping out the rhythm.
I can stumble along fairly well. Took me longer than I would've liked to learn the parts for my school's musical this year because of it.
I can sight read fairly well. I play bass in the school band, so when I first got in I couldn't read at all (I had to write the note names in over the notes) but a couple of years ago it suddenly clicked for me and that, combined with my good sense of rhythm, allows me to sight read very well. My school band went to play in Disneyland last year and one of the workshops we did we had to read a score for a Disney movie, play it, record it, and then we watched it back with the movie. The other guitarists in my band were with me playing bass and they just turned their volume off and let me play it.
Gear I Want:
-Boss GEB-7
-Boss LMB-3
-Boss CEB-3
-Korg Pitchblack
-Boss ODB-3
-Fender Road Worn 50s Precision Bass

Gear I Have:
-Peavey Millennium BXP =]
SWR WorkingPro 2x10C =D
cat in the hat option
Without spiritual mentoring, too much freedom can lead to the soul's decay
- Prince
I read terribly. with the chords listed and a good look at the pattern the music has, I can retain emphasis in the right spots.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by NearDissent
I can sight read fairly well. I play bass in the school band, so when I first got in I couldn't read at all (I had to write the note names in over the notes) but a couple of years ago it suddenly clicked for me and that, combined with my good sense of rhythm, allows me to sight read very well. My school band went to play in Disneyland last year and one of the workshops we did we had to read a score for a Disney movie, play it, record it, and then we watched it back with the movie. The other guitarists in my band were with me playing bass and they just turned their volume off and let me play it.

That ****'s legit! My band was gunna do that when we went to Disney but idk why my director decided against it.

Anyway I learned to read Treble like 6 years ago when I picked up sax for the school and can sight read that like nothing. Bass on the other hand...I started on tabs and after about 2.5/3 years I started to learn to read but since I don't really get the opportunity to read real music in most groups that I play in I'm not amazing...I am slightly better than the "cat in the hat" style, but not a whole lot
Quote by anarkee
Edit: On learning. Hal Leonard or Mel Bay are excellent because they give the tools for sight reading in manageable chunks. It helps if you say the note as you play it as well. Also--get some staff paper and write out/ copy bass clef from sheet music. The act of writing it can also help you internalize the knowledge.

To me learning the notes on the staff is easier than learn to read rhythms. For that--I would recommend a metronome and clapping out the rhythm.

good call. i had to resort to clapping when i started seeing crazy stuff like a half note tied to a dotted quarter note.

i actually printed off some staff paper (with tab underneath) in order to draw a note on the clef and write the cooresponding fret underneath. but i'll definitely start rewriting bass clef. thanks for the advice!
#DTWD
I can read treble well enough, can't just play, but I only have to go through it a few times. Bass clef is a different matter though.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

i can read treble clef and am getting decent at bass clef, but i can sight read tabs pretty damn well.
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Yeah, I can read. But like a child sounding out each syllable of Cat in the Hat.

We had to know that for music classes in school. Teacher taught us scales, too, but I don't remember that at all...
When i was 5, my parents pushed me into piano and i still play now at 15 so with 10 years of music under my belt notation is like english.

Then i joined a jazz band and my bass clef reading got better.
My sight reading skills are of the cat in the hat option but i can learn a piece of music by reading it. I tend to work more with chord charts and build up my basslines around them in a primative jazz style
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
On the treble clef while playing trumpet i can read like a the first option thingy, really fast, i can easily pick it up, but yet again ive only got three valves and 2 tuning slided so its fairly easy to go by.

On EB i dont read to much as i like to rock out, but with Db i only read and im getting fairly fast at it and i can notice patterns. Also i find it easy to rad and play DB rather than read and play EB, but ive got some classical music and at the mo im learning that on EB.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
I learned so sight read in the bass clef with my school band, where you fail if you can't read music because about half of your mark is the theory tests and final exam.
I can read it and still trying to improve myself. However, i find tabs also quite useful.
Cookie monster genocide my nation! HE MUST DIE MENS

Art is never finished it is only abandoned.

Real mitalhead don't give a f**k if it is Wensday or a dick in the a**
I used to be good, 'cos I had to do it for my O-grade. But that was in '89, and 20 years of tab and learning by ear has ruined it. It's not so much Cat In The Hat, as Where's Wally/Waldo.
"I know that note...it's in here somewhere...hmmmm...YEAH! There it is! Next..."
I learned by getting told I was playing in a show and having to read it. I learnt by "baptism by fire". It worked pretty well
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by primusfan
do you remember the book? i'd thought about getting the hal leonard 1-3 bound into one. although i downloaded a real book in bass clef and have been playing through the simpler ones. i also made flash cards from the E below the staff to middle C and quiz myself.

YES! taht was it! Hal Leonard! Thats the one it is! ya, i did 1 and part of 2, but in Jazz band the music was giving me as much practice as needed so I think i was A-Ok (:
Try adding more delay.