Hi, for the past couple days I've been practicing this

E-----------------------------------------1-2-3-4-|
B---------------------------------1-2-3-4---------|
G-------------------------1-2-3-4-----------------|
D-----------------1-2-3-4-------------------------| and back
A---------1-2-3-4---------------------------------|
E-1-2-3-4-----------------------------------------|

Is this good for building speed for shredding/soloing, or is it just good for developing alternate picking technique?
Also, when sweep picking, should you always use the neck pickup?
Sending a dummy to my God.

i do that every time I warm up. it's a nice little exercise.

http://www.insaneguitar.com/mc/sweeping.html

that is the website that i learned basic patterns from. Practicing with a Metronome helps too

http://www.metronomeonline.com/

EDIT: you don't need to use the neck pickup, but some argue it sounds better. The neck is usually reserved for lead anyway, but it is mostly artist preference. I use all three configs on my SG for different tones of sweeping
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
Last edited by JBizzle Da Truf at Aug 6, 2009,
I do that pattern whenever I warm up. It is a great exercise, but when I get bored with it, I mix up the picking, do string skips, and reverse the fingering. If you do stuff like that for a few minutes your fingers will be on fire.

Now onto your sweep question. I used to only use the neck pickup when I soloed/sweeped but now I am moving towards just using the bridge pickup for just about everything (including sweeping). It is really preference though, so experiment and figure out what you like. The way I see it is that when you are on the bridge pickup you are forced to play cleaner whereas on the neck pickup you can play a bit sloppier and it will still sound decent.
MyGear
Schecter Hellraiser (EMG 85/81 + 18v mod)
LTD SC-207 with EMG 707
Peavey 6505 Head
Some random Peavey 4x12 slant cab
Boss Chorus Ensemble + Boss DD-3 + Dunlop Crybaby Wah + Boss NS2
I use that exercise to warm up and it's great

I use the neck pickup during leads because I like the fat and smoother tone it has to it. But, I love it when people do leads on the bridge pickup (EX: Alexi Laiho) because if your technique is clean enough it sounds really cool. It is really all up to your personal preference.
Playing 1234 up the fret board... will make you better at playing 1234 up the fretboard. To get faster, practice slow. Practice songs. Practice licks. Start slow and move faster. Don't grind chromatics with the metronome.
I prefer the neck pickup for sweep picking / playing solos, because it sounds cleaner and I love the tone the neck pickup has to it.

I prefer the bridge for any leads other than sweeping and soloing.
yea mix up the exercises you do, so you practice different things, and also don't get bored. Learn a few different arpeggio shapes and play them all over the neck.

and for sweeping i almost always use the neck pickup. for alternate picking i mostly use the bridge.
Quote by protest000
Hi, for the past couple days I've been practicing this

E-----------------------------------------1-2-3-4-|
B---------------------------------1-2-3-4---------|
G-------------------------1-2-3-4-----------------|
D-----------------1-2-3-4-------------------------| and back
A---------1-2-3-4---------------------------------|
E-1-2-3-4-----------------------------------------|

Is this good for building speed for shredding/soloing, or is it just good for developing alternate picking technique?
Also, when sweep picking, should you always use the neck pickup?

Not really.

It's a good thing to include in your warmup as it loosens the fingers up nicely but in all honesty practicing it like that is not going to help you improve in any way. It becomes more useful if you mix up the sequence, but as it stands all your doing is training your fingers to play 4 notes one after the other on the same string, something you'll hardly ever want to do when actually playing the guitar.

There's no magic shortcut to playing the guitar, speed comes from accuracy. If you make a point of learning to play EVERYTHING accurately, using the most economical movements then you'll be able to play faster. You get good at the things you practice, if you practice a song you'll get good at that song, if you play a scale up and down then you'll get good at practicing that scale but not using it, if you practice the 1234 pattern you get good at that pattern - you need to ensure you're practicing in a way that will benefit your playing, not just practice for the sake of practicing.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
Not really.

There's no magic shortcut to playing the guitar, speed comes from accuracy. If you make a point of learning to play EVERYTHING accurately, using the most economical movements then you'll be able to play faster. You get good at the things you practice, if you practice a song you'll get good at that song, if you play a scale up and down then you'll get good at practicing that scale but not using it, if you practice the 1234 pattern you get good at that pattern - you need to ensure you're practicing in a way that will benefit your playing, not just practice for the sake of practicing.

How would you make sure you're using the most economical movements? you and freepower keep on saying it but its hard to understand.

How would you practice something in a way that will benefit your playing?
I like metal

Gear (still working on it ) :

Epiphone SG G-310
Marshall MG10cd
Boss MT-2 Metal zone

Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-
^listen to him

Metalli-freak
Last edited by metal_shredder0 at Aug 7, 2009,
Quote by metal_shredder0
How would you make sure you're using the most economical movements? you and freepower keep on saying it but its hard to understand.

How would you practice something in a way that will benefit your playing?

Economical movements - move your fingers as little as possible (i.e. don't lift them way above the fretboard when switching ntoes), use short and accurate pickstrokes, etc. Basically don't waste any energy on unnecessary movements.

Practicing in a way that will benefit your playing? First, practice something musical. Wanna get better at sweeps? Practice a song with sweeps. Wanna get better at alternate picking? Practice a song with alternate picking. etc. etc. To practice effectively, start slow and perfect. Then move faster (while staying perfect) until you're at full speed. It's all about patience. And accuracy. Speed is a byproduct of accuracy.
It s a good warm up but thats it.

I still prefer the 3 nps method. I like to practice all the diff positions of the major scale using 3 nps patterns to practice with the metronome. It's just a little more practical than just blazing through a 1-2-3-4 chromatic pattern.
E---------------------------------------------------2b-1-4-3-|
B-----------------------------------------2b-1-4-3-----------|
G------------------------------2b-1-4-3----------------------|
D-------------------2b-1-4-3---------------------------------|
A---------2b-1-4-3-------------------------------------------|
E-1-4-3-------------------------------------------------------|
Gear:
Squier Affinity Series Stratocaster
Epiphone G-400
Line 6 Spider
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
BOSS DD-3

"Wish I Had This" Gear:
Guitars- G&L, Gibson, PRS
Amps- Egnater, Bogner
Effects- Fulltone, JHS, Eventide
Instead of using Chromatics, use actual scale intervals. My self made scale, which Ive practiced until I could hit 24NPS on it.
--------------------------------------------------------------15-17-19-
--------------------------------------------------15-17-19-------------
-------------------------------------14-15-17--------------------------
-------------------------14-15-17--------------------------------------
-------------12-14-15--------------------------------------------------
-12-14-15--------------------------------------------------------------
Add different intervals, like adding Diminshed Intervals (17-16-13) and such for different scale types.