Right so i have been playin for nearly two years, sad thing is i cant solo for ****. I can play umm Californication lolz but thats as technical is it gets. I have talked to some peeps and they suggested an Avenged Sevonfold song, uhh Second Heartbreak or soomthing, also i have learnt the first solo in Orion but i am hesitant to try and get any further as i wil probs go into a fit rage and throw my guitar out the window from frustration, lol joking. So i need some advice, solo's that i can learn from, what's your first solo you learnt? Suggestions please.
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

I play a Schecter

Quote by Iriathz
I love you.
Have all my life's future earnings.

Quote by Lt. Shinysides
Just how loose is your urethra?

Quote by shavorules42
I have a 6 inch gauge in it, so I can cockdock so I'd say loose enough.
Not really.
Try Conquer All by Behemoth.

And SCALE STUFF I HAVE NO NAME FOR, such as:

E-------------------------------------------------8-10-12
B--------------------------------------8-10-12
G----------------------------7-9-10---------
D-------------------7-9-10------------------
A----------7-8-10---------------------------
E-7-8-10------------------------------------

My personal favorite. Also:

E------------------------------------------7-8-10--------
B---------------------------------6-8-10----
G-------------------------5-7-9------------
D-----------------5-7-9--------------------
A---------5-7-8----------------------------
E-5-7-8------------------------------------

and

E-----------------------------------------------------------------12-13-15---------
B----------------------------------------------------12-13-15-----------
G---------------------------------------10-12-14-----
D--------------------------10-12-14-----------
A--------------10-12-14-----------------------
E-10-12-13------------------------------------

There's more, but these are my favorites. PM me for more.
"If an injury need to be done to a man, it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."
- Niccolo Machiavelli
Last edited by Legion355 at Aug 7, 2009,
my first solo was the solo from walk by PanterA and also some Amon Amarth song, What I tend to do is just listen to songs and listen to the solo and ask my self "can I play that" then go from there it helps if you practice scales and licks too
BFMV solos arent too hard you could try some of them may be hand of blood or her voice resides (if you can tap).
others:
smells like teen spirit solo
last summer solo
dani california solo
one intro solo

ill post some more if i can think of any
first solo i learned was sunshine of your love by cream but a good solo to build speed and technique as well as sounding kickass is the end solo of fade to black by metallica very awesome took me about 3 days so not that hard
Rattle Your Goddamn Head!
I won't see you tonight part 1 - Avenged sevenfold
Has three simple solos in it.
Quote by Legion355
Try Conquer All by Behemoth.

And modes, such as:

E-------------------------------------------------8-10-12
B--------------------------------------8-10-12
G----------------------------7-9-10---------
D-------------------7-9-10------------------
A----------7-8-10---------------------------
E-7-8-10------------------------------------

My personal favorite. Also:

E------------------------------------------7-8-10--------
B---------------------------------6-8-10----
G-------------------------5-7-9------------
D-----------------5-7-9--------------------
A---------5-7-8----------------------------
E-5-7-8------------------------------------

and

E-----------------------------------------------------------------12-13-15---------
B----------------------------------------------------12-13-15-----------
G---------------------------------------10-12-14-----
D--------------------------10-12-14-----------
A--------------10-12-14-----------------------
E-10-12-13------------------------------------

There's more, but these are my favorites. PM me for more.

Seriously, don't give advice if you don't know what you're talking about - I suggest you read the modes sticky in Musician Talk.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
AC/DC - Shook Me All Night
Metallica - Nothing Else Matters
Led Zep - Stairway
Metallica - Fade to Black

In that order.

Ignore modes. Learn your major scale and your pentatonics. Listen to the solo loads, break it down into phrases and learn it a phrase at a time, slowly enough to play it cleanly and accurately. Once you have it nailed at a slow speed you can gradually speed it up, but don't play it faster than you can play it accurately.
Quote by KoenDercksen
After having played guitar for roughly two weeks I learned the solo in Smells Like Teen Spirit. Says how easy that solo is xD

i actually think the come as you are solo is even easier
Quote by Stikky207
I won't see you tonight part 1 - Avenged sevenfold
Has three simple solos in it.

+10

first of all how is walk by pantera that guys first solo!?!?!?!?!
that guy must b f***** amazing! my first solo was ironman by black sabbath i think u should learn that and smalls like teen spirit is a good place to start too
Quote by steven seagull
Seriously, don't give advice if you don't know what you're talking about - I suggest you read the modes sticky in Musician Talk.

What the hell man? It's something my teacher wrote down for me when I asked him about soloing, dammit. I didn't know if modes was the right word or not. I'll change it if it's THAT annoying. Jesus man...
"If an injury need to be done to a man, it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."
- Niccolo Machiavelli
Quote by zhilla

Ignore modes. Learn your major scale and your pentatonics.

Why? I've recently learned the other 4 modes of the pentatonic minor scale and when I'm improvising now I can play more divers, higher and lower. It made my improvised solos sound better and I can jump around the fretboard easier. It certainly did good to me...
Quote by poopsmith666
thats pretty epic actually.

-Cheap classical guitar
-Cheap western
-Ibanez GRX70 jumpstart package
-Shine bass + Eden Nemesis en8jr 25W
No, you haven't learned modes.

All you've done is learn the pentatonic scale all over the neck , which arguably is what you should have been doing with it all along.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
My first was Ain't Talking 'bout Love by Van Halen, easy and nice. Start off slow, like half speed and then learn everything till you get it perfect, all the notes coming out clearly then work your way up till you get to full speed. For some it is an hours practice, for some a week. I've been playing for 3 and a half years and I'm sure there is guys playing for 6months who plays better.

Work on your own pace otherwise you'll get frustrated. You should play guitar cause it's fun, not to be good.
Ibanez 540S, Randall RG50TC, Blackstar HT-DISTX, Ibanez TS-808
Last edited by WantzChas at Aug 7, 2009,
Quote by steven seagull
No, you haven't learned modes.

All you've done is learn the pentatonic scale all over the neck , which arguably is what you should have been doing with it all along.

What are modes then? Did I learn positions then? I learned it from some guy I was jamming with a few weeks ago, but he didn't really explain what it was, just that I should look it up
Quote by poopsmith666
thats pretty epic actually.

-Cheap classical guitar
-Cheap western
-Ibanez GRX70 jumpstart package
-Shine bass + Eden Nemesis en8jr 25W
Sweet ok, ill try some of those. So what was the deal with that first post by legion355, i couldnt understand if i was sposed to learn that or not, the modes or somthing?
Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

I play a Schecter

Quote by Iriathz
I love you.
Have all my life's future earnings.

Quote by Lt. Shinysides
Just how loose is your urethra?

Quote by shavorules42
I have a 6 inch gauge in it, so I can cockdock so I'd say loose enough.
Not really.
Quote by Drift king77
Sweet ok, ill try some of those. So what was the deal with that first post by legion355, i couldnt understand if i was sposed to learn that or not, the modes or somthing?
Learn the major scale so you understand how its constructed, and learn your pentatonic scales all over the neck so you can use them.

When you understand the major scale, learn how the natural minor scale is related to the major scale, and learn how the pentatonic scales are related to the major and natural minor scales.

Until you understand that lot, don't worry about modes or any other types of scales.

You can derive pretty much any scale you'll ever use from the major scale so get that nailed and the rest will be a whole lot easier.

Edit:
Quote by yottaMax
What are modes then? Did I learn positions then? I learned it from some guy I was jamming with a few weeks ago, but he didn't really explain what it was, just that I should look it up
The pentatonic scale is just made up of 5 notes. You can play the scale anywhere on the neck that you can find those notes. What you've learnt is the standard 2nps positions of the pentatonic scale.

One of the most common misconceptions is that modes = scale shapes. They don't.

Modes are an entirely different concept. If you want to be able to use modes, start by learning the major scale.
Last edited by zhilla at Aug 10, 2009,