Page 1 of 2
so im planning on setting up an underage music venue, and i'm just looking for a little advice from people who have done this before.

i know straight away im going to need:

• A desk
  • a PA
  • monitors
  • lights
  • amps
  • a drum kit
  • security
  • effects
  • eq's
  • lots and lots and lots of cables..

i've no doubt forgotten a quite a few things, but what else am i going to have to think about when putting this all together? obviously im going to be looking at around the 20 to 30 thousand mark (Aussie dollars), so im going to have to be finding plenty of financial backing. is there anything major that would have to be looked into?
Who decided that pie would be sold on Tuesday but not Wednesday?
Quote by sashki
POWER SUPPLIES

The distribution of power to and within the venue needs to be carefully planned, and needs to conform to all safety regulations.

Ask a pro.

This, and you're gonna need well filtered power, so you don't get A/C interference with the audio gear.

There's gonna be a lot of other stuff you'll need too. Never mind the gear, I'd say start from the ground up, get the whole place happening, and then just fill in the gaps with the gear.

Edit: Kinda like Delirium said, don't bother about effects, amps and a drumkit. You'd only need a few cabs really, almost all gigging bands would be able to bring along all their own gear, no point spending money on a backline some bands might not like.
My Gear
Guitars
Cort VX-2V
Basses
Stagg BC300
Amps
Marshall JCM900 4100 DR
Marshall 1965A
Hartke HA3500 Combo
Last edited by Jesstaa at Aug 6, 2009,
You of course need a bathroom for the musicians to OD in.
Quote by JohnnyV
I'm pretty sure the feeling i get when i blow my load on my computer screen is a f*ck of a lot different than when i shoot in on my girlfriend's face.

Music things

PRS SE Custom 24
Epiphone G400
Vox AC15C1
Quote by Deliriumbassist
licences, insurance, planning permission, advertising, a building, cleaners...

a sh*tload of stuff before you even start considering sound equipment.

+1

Better to have a 4 channel desk in a good venue that people will visit, than a 26 channel desk in a dirty shithole that no one will touch.
Quote by Lots O' FX
You of course need a bathroom for the musicians to OD in.

OD? in a bathroom? You mean like pooping with overdrive?

:S
Currently My Rig Consists of:

Guitars:
Starcaster by Fender
Takamine Acoustic

Amps:
SP10
Assuming you have the permits, property and such;

1. Security guy and cameras to watch the gear.
2. PA system.
3. Soundguy for the PA.
4. Monitors, particularly for the singers.
5. Backstage area. I'm pretty sure even back in the 1960's, places like The Cavern Club in England had them.
6. Stages that are large enough to move about and not feel crowded on, but don't leave you feeling like you need to do a whole bunch of pointless **** to keep the crowd attention.
7. Free drinks, particularly for the vocalist.
8. A good atmosphere. It may be a personal thing, but I wouldn't want to play a club where the music is treated as ambient noise instead of music or something like that.
9. Recordings of everything. CBGB's would record concerts and sell CD's, VHS tapes, DVD's and earlier on cassettes. I personally think this was a brilliant idea ahead of it's time for a club; If you don't have anything by the band you went to see and wanted to check some new music out and wanted to get some of their stuff after the show, really loved that night's set or were just a packrat like me, you could run over to the guy at the mixer and get a copy of the show once they made copies for all the orders. Plus if the bands get a cut of the profits, it may be a draw to some who are more strapped for cash.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 4-5
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 92-54
why the **** would you buy a drumset???? that's for the band to bring themselves.
Quote by ultimatedaver
We're just trying to help man, cause it doesn't seem like you can get any pizza.
Quote by TehPsychoChef

Due to your age, maybe that's understandable you don't understand, but

A clue, OD = overdose in this case.

Quote by Highway60Bob
why the **** would you buy a drumset???? that's for the band to bring themselves.

Most venues have a house kit... it's less likely they'd provide amps but a lot of venues do provide a basic backline on request, it just usually isn't very good. Drums are by far the biggest common instrument a band will have, and thus transporting them to gigs requires large vehicles/flattening the back seats of a car down to fit it all in...if the drummer needs to take other people too the band may not be able to bring their own kit and the drummer may ask for a basic 5-piece kit and he'll bring along his own 'breakables' (cymbals, snare, pedals and stands etc.)
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Last edited by DisarmGoliath at Aug 6, 2009,
yea, power is a good point, and something i hadn't really though of. insurance, advertising and a building etc, are a given, and something im just about to look into, though can you elaborate on licenses? what would i need?

as for effects, compressors wouldn't be brought by the band. yes, they can use pedals for other stuff, but there are basic things that i would need. the amps and drumkit i think would be a must, as it's much easier to use gear already set up then have to run around trying to set u pall the new gear for 15 min during a change over.
I looked into it before, It cost a crazy amount of insurance, and then the amount of time you have to put into it is alot,
amps
Vox Ac 30 (main)
Fender Supersonic with Krank Krankenstien 4x12
OR 50 with 4 x 12
Gassing for ibanes airplane flanger
youll need to take care of any building costs and legal stuff first. make your venue presentable. dont go out spending money on expensive audio stuff without covering all that stuff first.

you shouldnt buy any actual musical equipment, the bands are gonna have to buy that.
youll need microphones, and good microphones. theres mics for picking up drums good, theres mics for picking up voices good, etc. look into it. youll need monitors, a mixing board to plug it all into, and a power amp to power it all. if your not too sure what to buy specifically, make friends with someone thats experienced in sound tech.

most important thing to remember is to market it well, so you can make money off of it. make it so people will want to come to your venue. If you switch up venue themes, like have open mic nights, rather then just bands, you'll diversify your crowd and probably save money by just playing acoustically.

but dont scam anyone.. i know one venue that charges people to buy a drink just for hanging out.
Quote by Dunjma
yea, power is a good point, and something i hadn't really though of. insurance, advertising and a building etc, are a given, and something im just about to look into, though can you elaborate on licenses? what would i need?

as for effects, compressors wouldn't be brought by the band. yes, they can use pedals for other stuff, but there are basic things that i would need. the amps and drumkit i think would be a must, as it's much easier to use gear already set up then have to run around trying to set u pall the new gear for 15 min during a change over.

Most bands would rather do the 15 minute changeover than not use their gear.
also my friend owns a venue and the biggest nuisance he says there is about the whole place is that they had to build a support pillar in the middle of where the pit area is because the structure became unstable over time. So make sure you know what the hell your contractors/construction workers are doing.
love is love // return to dust
well pepsi, good thing i am a sound tech then, hey? i know all the tech equipment that i'll need, i know i'll need to make the venue presentable, have a big enough stage, a backstage, a loading bay, parking etc etc, i was more looking for advice on how to run things, or any major brick walls that i may run into.

and yea, necrosis, i had considered doing recordings, i've even done a few live ones before, my biggest concern was going to be buying it. i mean, the recorder itself would be about 4ish grand plus the extras on the desk i would need in order to run the thing.
Quote by We'realltoBlame
Most bands would rather do the 15 minute changeover than not use their gear.

well as the sound guy, i'd rather not have to pull down all my mics, run all the amps, the kits etc etc off the stage, run all the new gear on, set up all my mics again AND have to sound check it when i could just have decent equipment to begin with and not have to worry about it. especially when there could be a few hundred kids wondering what the **** is going on.
Quote by necrosis1193
5. Backstage area. I'm pretty sure even back in the 1960's, places like The Cavern Club in England had them.

6. Stages that are large enough to move about and not feel crowded on, but don't leave you feeling like you need to do a whole bunch of pointless **** to keep the crowd attention.

7. Free drinks, particularly for the vocalist.

8. A good atmosphere. It may be a personal thing, but I wouldn't want to play a club where the music is treated as ambient noise instead of music or something like that.

9. Recordings of everything. CBGB's would record concerts and sell CD's, VHS tapes, DVD's and earlier on cassettes. I personally think this was a brilliant idea ahead of it's time for a club; If you don't have anything by the band you went to see and wanted to check some new music out and wanted to get some of their stuff after the show, really loved that night's set or were just a packrat like me, you could run over to the guy at the mixer and get a copy of the show once they made copies for all the orders. Plus if the bands get a cut of the profits, it may be a draw to some who are more strapped for cash.

hes making an underage venue not a club. I take it you havent got out to many of those

* most venues that arent bars that ive been too are just empty rooms. narrow in width, long in length, with bathrooms in the back and if your lucky, you might have a room off to the side that can act as a backstage. but the only thing you would need a back stage for is to store music equipment between sets. so people wont have to have it in their cars.

* his venue is for underage people. like i said before, your venue will probably be small. most places ive seen just have a drum riser and the speakers against the wall awkwardly.

* free water at least for performers is absolutely yes.

* you wont be able to control the 'atmosphere', as i said before your venue might be small.

* ive never seen a venue record anyones shows before.
Quote by Dunjma
well as the sound guy, i'd rather not have to pull down all my mics, run all the amps, the kits etc etc off the stage, run all the new gear on, set up all my mics again AND have to sound check it when i could just have decent equipment to begin with and not have to worry about it. especially when there could be a few hundred kids wondering what the **** is going on.

thats something that youll have to do. Every ****ing body i know would refuse to play house instruments. and every sound guy ive ever worked with at venues do all that work between sets without question. but you dont move their amps and drums for them. thats their job. their equipment. you worry about your own equipment. and a 15 minute break between sets is actually welcome because no one wants to hear horribly talented kids playing all ****ing night.
yea, your prolly right. although, most bands that i've heard around my area are pretty ****in good. most cant write for ****, but at least they can play. the benefit of living somewhere where there is nothing for kids to do besides wander the shops or go to the movies..
another thing is, if your funds are bad. make bands sell tickets. every venue i know makes people sell 10-15 tickets from 5-7 dollars. i wouldnt charge over 5 though. 5 is as reasonable as ive heard.
Quote by Dunjma

anyone who's ever gone to a local music venue (at least here in the states) expects that changeover... if a venue didn't let me use my gear, i would never even book there. and as a soundguy, you're expected to move the mics/soundcheck everything. if you don't want to do it, hire someone to do it for you.

and as you said "decent equiptment" for what? metal? blues? punk? it's all subjective, and kids playing there aren't gonna wanna try and find their sound on a different amp, they'll already have it keyed in on theirs. basically you can just leave the mics for each instrument on stands and just run up on stage and position them really quickly and then soundcheck them.. the venues i play at do it this way and after we're all set up, the whole micing/soundcheck takes less than 5 mins.
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
anyone who's ever gone to a local music venue (at least here in the states) expects that changeover... if a venue didn't let me use my gear, i would never even book there. and as a soundguy, you're expected to move the mics/soundcheck everything. if you don't want to do it, hire someone to do it for you.

and as you said "decent equiptment" for what? metal? blues? punk? it's all subjective, and kids playing there aren't gonna wanna try and find their sound on a different amp, they'll already have it keyed in on theirs. basically you can just leave the mics for each instrument on stands and just run up on stage and position them really quickly and then soundcheck them.. the venues i play at do it this way and after we're all set up, the whole micing/soundcheck takes less than 5 mins.

indeed. my group soundchecked in a minute thirty once. (we used to clock it, just for the lols)

one more thing is to have some places to sit down. i like venues where theres couches in the back.. a couple tables against the walls, and a pit in the middle.
Underage????
A good fucking lawyer.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Like said before, the musicians can/and will want to bring their own amps and such!
IN/ RAINBOWS
IN RAIN/BOWS
IN RAINBOW/S
IN RAINBOWS/
IN RAIN_BOWS
RA D IOHEA_D
RAD IO HEA D

Quote by I'mronburgundy?
in addition to all of that, you also win the thread.

Quote by metallica724
>:O littlejoy isnt a creep hes full of win unlike you
You all say bands would rather take their own gear... as a member of a touring band, I can say yes, it's nice to bring own gear, but sometimes it just isn't possible, so venues having a backline is fantastic. Especially for drummers. Although drummers should always be expected to bring cymbals, snare and kick pedal.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
You all say bands would rather take their own gear... as a member of a touring band, I can say yes, it's nice to bring own gear, but sometimes it just isn't possible, so venues having a backline is fantastic. Especially for drummers. Although drummers should always be expected to bring cymbals, snare and kick pedal.

It's still nice to have them there, though.
my thoughts exactly. if the band isn't capable to get all their gear there for some reason (and there are some very good ones that i can think of), you'd want something for them to use so they can play. and for an underage gig, it's more about just getting up there and having a go than anything else really. i mean, most kids would be content just having people hear their stuff, and wouldn't really be fussed about if they sound exactly the way they want to; most wouldn't even know how they really want to sound, or even what they sound like already.

and jackel, would you care to elaborate, or are you just talking out of your ass?
Last edited by Dunjma at Aug 7, 2009,
Get a barricade... unless you allow punk/thrash were people will be allowed to get on stage and get crazy and/or stage dive
No-one's said sound proofing yet?
Especially if you're near a residential area.
Quote by shattamakar
Just because i like the taste of semen...It doesnt necessarily mean you would like it too..

...Music is like that.
Quote by CheeZey!
No-one's said sound proofing yet?
Especially if you're near a residential area.

good point, but thats sorta obvious right???
Quote by RiotSquad
good point, but thats sorta obvious right???

yeah, that's kinda like saying "why hasn't anyone mentioned a roof and bathrooms yet???"
Quote by CoreysMonster
yeah, that's kinda like saying "why hasn't anyone mentioned a roof and bathrooms yet???"

Someone HAS mentioned the bathrooms
20 / 30 thousand? yeah, maybe... if you add another 0.

Your gonna have to have a fkn building ya cack.

If not, you're gonna have to rent one.

On top of that, you're gonna need an entertainment licence + alcohol licence (if those are applicable in your area)... these can be verr expensive, especially where I live.

If your charging people to come in and listen to music, theres deffinately licences for that.

errrrrr.

and you're 17/18

have fun dreaming
MY DESIGN/PHOTOGRAPHY TUMBLR
Quote by SEALSniper1152

If you take a jar, and whisper what you want to hate into it, then close the jar, coat it in crunchy peanut butter, and shove it up your ass. I'm pretty sure you could hate everything after that.
Quote by PETERFKNPARKER
20 / 30 thousand? yeah, maybe... if you add another 0.

Your gonna have to have a fkn building ya cack.

If not, you're gonna have to rent one.

On top of that, you're gonna need an entertainment licence + alcohol licence (if those are applicable in your area)... these can be verr expensive, especially where I live.

If your charging people to come in and listen to music, theres deffinately licences for that.

errrrrr.

and you're 17/18

have fun dreaming

Don't be such a jerk. I know of a young guy who set up a venue for parties, raves, bands and general club nights, and in less than a year of being around, was chosen by BBC staff as one of the best nights around.

With enough work, TS can make it work. He just needs to know how. Instead of being a dicjk, why don't you give some friendly advice?
A potential major issue is going to be the kids. A lot of places near me have come into problems with the law because of kids sneaking alcohol into the shows. Not only that but bringing in their own drinks cuts into one of the major profit areas of a small venue.

Not to be a downer but sometimes things you think are periphery end up being a real pain in the ass for small venues.
Last edited by rizo299 at Aug 7, 2009,
Quote by TehPsychoChef

OMGZ DIZ IS SOOOO CRUSHING
Page 1 of 2