I need something like fastfret or finger-ease, but have no money. Any suggestions? I was thiking about using baby powder, but I'm not sure.
This was such a horrible idea...I hope the pit doesn't catch wind of this thread.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

I'd actually like to know a good homemade solution as well, as I am constantly broke.
mineral oil. fastfret is made of white mineral oil.
My band - DEADIRON
Playstyle - Rock / Metal / Hardcore / Punk
Main Gear
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Morley Bad Horsie Wah
Memory Man Deluxe
ISP Decimator

Mesa Single Rectifier Rect-o-Verb
I'm waiting for the IcyHot comment.....

Anyway, don't do it. You don't REALLY need string lube. Just change the strings. Why do you feel you need it anyway?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
do you really need it THAT bad? there's no way...just go buy some finger ease when you get a few bucks (literally, a FEW) and save yourself the trouble of ruining your strings and fretboard by putting baby powder/baby ****/crisco/whatever on your guitar.
Gear :

Gibson Les Paul Special
Fender Koa Stratocaster
Korg Pitchblack
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
BBE Boosta Grande
Fulltone OCD v4
EHX Russian Big Muff Pi
Vox Night Train
Egnater Rebel 112x Cab
Marshall Class 5
i used unlop formula 65 stringlide cleaner/conditioner, worth every penny.
fast fret sucks
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Baby powder isnt going to do crap to keep your strings from rusting. And would probably nasty up your wound strings pretty fast. There are labeling laws so its doubtful there is some secret ingredient other than simple white mineral oil. And the stick of fast fret lasts forever. Its the price of a single set of strings. A can of mineral oil will cost several bucks anyways.
fastfret is like 5 bucks, just pay in spare change
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
^^^What one person considers junk another person finds useful. Ive been using it for years never had a problem. Perhaps you have another product that is much better in mind?
jeff beck uses some sort of powder on his hands.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
vaseline.
Quote by TheWall27

Spot on, JWZ28, spot on.

Gibson Les Paul Classic
Blackstar HT-5
Framus 2x12
Quote by Tackleberry
^^^What one person considers junk another person finds useful. Ive been using it for years never had a problem. Perhaps you have another product that is much better in mind?

Just a tiny bit of Tung Oil on the fretboard and neck once every 6 months or so, and wipe down each string with a microfibre cloth after every gig. It gets rid of all the crap off the strings, not just the top like Fast Fret, and doesn't build up the way the mineral oils eventually do.

Each to their own, I suppose; though to me the idea of adding something to the strings and fretboard to make it slippier is an odd one. Washing my hands properly before a gig makes for the single biggest difference to playing feel, although you have to take care not to wreck your callouses...
How can you stand to have oil all over your guitar?
03 Schecter PT >-->Boss BD-2>-->Marshall MG15 DFX

Danelectro HoneyTone

Taylor 210e

Yamaha F-325

use real lubes
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.
fast fret sucks i use dunlop ultra glide
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Its one of those things where there are alot of opinions. Every company seems to sell something that is claimed to be better than what everybody else sells. Some dont use anything on their strings, some do. Just like brand preference in strings, some swear by ernie ball or fender etc, I use GHS which some will say is junk. Throw in the fact that everybodies skin chemistry is different really complicates things. I just know bare metal, skin oils/acids/salts and air dont mix well. And for me fast fret after playing allows me to go longer between string changes.
Hi All, I have started using a string lubricant lately... It started when we were busking at the waters edge, and it was hot and sweaty mixed with salty air.... as a result my fingers got really sticky and I couldn't slide and play like normal... next time I brought baby powder as I have seen flamenco guitarist use.... Horrible ended up with dough like substance all over the neck and actually made the stickiness worse. I then bought some Finger ease, and it worked great! but maybe expensive or maybe you can't get to a music shop so what are the alternatives..... Well a mineral oil is best, what this means an oil that is not based on plants like olive oil or flaxseed oil, the reason (i am also a painter) they use these in art to make oil paints and they do eventually dry and create a really sticky varnish like substance.
Mineral oils on the other hand don't really dry the same way. oils like paraffin oil or WD40 or even silicon oil. I think even baby oil is actually a refined paraffin oil with perfume added...
Any good chemist,supermarket or auto shop should have a refined mineral oil, in large amounts for very little money... the trick is to re apply the oil in small amounts often, don't try and bathe your guitar once and think its good forever.....

Cheers!
Peter Sesselmann
peterman stompboxes
http://www.peterman.com.au
This is like something baby joel would necro
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Just buy elixir strings. One set is like $12, but you could probably make them last forever or until you break a string. They are naturally sleek and easy to play
Quote by suckmahnuts
Watterboy, I love you.

Quote by davrossss
You are now my favourite person on UG.....You write cool shit.

Quote by wannabestoner69