i've been playing with a band for a few years now (not really gigging though) and i've just bought a new amp (laney vc-30). when i use it with a distortion pedal i can't really get any volume or tone before the amp starts getting a lot of feedback, sqealing as soon as i'm not playing anything and generally being irritating.

imagine i know nothing about amps, because basically i don't, what can i do to avoid it? i end up having to turn the treble right down on both the amp and pedal, and i'm still getting a fair amount of noise.
i thought of micing it up through the PA but regardless, i should still be able to get a bit of volume before this happens

my set-up is simply

fender tele----> marshall jackhammer -----> laney vc-30

i know its an age-old problem but i've never known how to solve it, so sorry if there's a million other threads on this.

cheers
don't crank the gain on anything... that will help a ton if not fix the whole problem.

other than that, try turning the guitar volume down to 8 or 9 instead of 10

or, just turn your guitar volume down when not playing

and did i mention it helps to stand further away from your amp? woops, should have put this first.
My Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Epiphone AJ
Ibanez Strat Copy

Amps:
Orange Tiny Terror Head
Old beaten up Peavey cab
Marshall MG30DFX
Wait, the distortion pedal is the jackhammer?

Anyways, yeah, stand farther away, and just maybe don't face the amp when you play. Turning down the volume on the guitar helps also.
i've tried standing far away but its a small room!

i'm hoping to avoid losing any gain, the laney has a nice sound but its distortion capabilities = zero, so its good to be able to switch between opposite ends of the scale.

i'll give the guitar controls thing a go, but can anyone pinpoint what, specifically makes it happen in the first place? so that i don't have to compromise several things

xx
if you wanted distortion why did you get a fender tele and that amp if it has 0 distortion capibilities? single coil p/u might be the thing aswell, try changing pickups to stacked humbuckers or something,

if you have the amp on the lead channel (SP?) thats your problem, always put distortion pedals ontop of clean channels ... or you get screaches when you dont play ...

EDIT - if i sounded like a dick im sorry
Last edited by kakos at Aug 6, 2009,
you're probably getting mains hum from you're single coils on the tele. Also put the pedal on the clean channel instead of a lead channel or w/e
I like metal

Gear (still working on it ) :

Epiphone SG G-310
Marshall MG10cd
Boss MT-2 Metal zone

Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-
^listen to him

Metalli-freak
Quote by kakos
if you wanted distortion why did you get a fender tele and that amp if it has 0 distortion capibilities?

its ok i assumed someone might ask! i'm more interested in achieving a nice clean sound and then just switching to the stomp box than fussing over how my distortion sounds, so i bought the two together because of the clean tone i wanted. it's probably the reason why they don't work well with gain, so that's why i came here, to see the best way around it.

anyway thank for all the suggestions.

on the same note, are single coil pickups basically a pain in the ass for distortion? i plan to buy a strat, so perhaps for gig purposes i should get a SSH for the loud songs and switch to the tele for the clean ones?
yeah that works
I like metal

Gear (still working on it ) :

Epiphone SG G-310
Marshall MG10cd
Boss MT-2 Metal zone

Quote by DiSTuRBeD -26-
^listen to him

Metalli-freak