question for you guys-

im looking for a multi effect processor. what are the opinions on multi effects vs individual boxes? also, is it possible to bypass the pre amp modeling section of a multi effect and just use it for the effects?

i mainly want one as a cheaper alternative to pedals...though some had acoustic simulator models that sounded interesting

edit: no gigging. bedroom practice only
Last edited by pickleweed at Aug 6, 2009,
i feel like individual stompboxes have better quality effects and more control ya know? That is, if you get good pedals of course.
Agile Intrepid 8
S-gear Scuffham Amps
I got a digitech rp350 for $100 on ebay, it's great, tons of thing's, plus online on the digitech website you can download presets for various artists...

from a value standpoint you can't go wrong, no the individual boxes aren't up to par with the actual boxe's, but they're still pretty damn good, if your on a budget, just a hobby player like me, they're perfect!! if your a multimillion dollar musician who need's to fine tune his sound, then it's not
Well, for your purposes, a multi-effect will be fine, but if I could advise you against them, I would. The problem you have with them will be 1. you can't bypass the preamp, and 2. you can't always get them set up properly. Equalizing the effect volume with the module-bypass volume will never be perfect, which may not bother you, but it kill me.

If you do go with a multi-effect, I would advise a Digitech RP70 model, or higher. It will introduce you to basic effects without breaking the bank, sound good for a multi-effect, and you can save for individual boxes once you determine what you want.
Main Setup:
Charvel So-Cal

Dunlop Volume
Digitech Tuner
Custom Compressor
VFE Blues King
Ibanez TS9 30th Anniv
Boss DD20
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Hardwire Supernatural
Loop-Master 2 Channel Looper

Mesa Single Rec
Look into a Line 6 POD - one of the best multi-effects processors on the market (imo).

Generally, though, stompboxes are superior to the effects found on multi-effects processors. You are paying for a million low-quality effects, 99% of which you will never use. My advice is to determine which effects you actually want and buy them in single pedal form. But if you are hell-bent on a multi-effects then go with the POD.
Quote by eteam_sammy4him
Well, for your purposes, a multi-effect will be fine, but if I could advise you against them, I would. The problem you have with them will be 1. you can't bypass the preamp, and 2. you can't always get them set up properly. Equalizing the effect volume with the module-bypass volume will never be perfect, which may not bother you, but it kill me.

If you do go with a multi-effect, I would advise a Digitech RP70 model, or higher. It will introduce you to basic effects without breaking the bank, sound good for a multi-effect, and you can save for individual boxes once you determine what you want.

on my digitech rp350, you can bypass the preamp, it's just the press of a pedal away!
Get a multi effects. At this point if you're using it for bedroom playing, you're just going to waste a lot of money on individual pedals. Sure individual pedals sound better, but it's usually not a huge difference where you would think "Wow all these effects sound like ****." Some multi effects have weaknesses with one or two effects but not for all their effects unless it's just a bad pedal.
I have a huge fear if rays.
Quote by camaross427
on my digitech rp350, you can bypass the preamp, it's just the press of a pedal away!

Wow! I bet that comes in handy. I really only use mine for a tuner anymore. I'm actually trying to get a hardwire tuner so i can put the RP70 in reserve. Im buying actual boxes now, so i feel alot better about putting it in storage.
Main Setup:
Charvel So-Cal

Dunlop Volume
Digitech Tuner
Custom Compressor
VFE Blues King
Ibanez TS9 30th Anniv
Boss DD20
Boss NS2
MXR 10 Band EQ
Hardwire Supernatural
Loop-Master 2 Channel Looper

Mesa Single Rec
my gt - 10 can bypass the preamp too, infact so can the pod and the Vox one and the zoom one

for the 999th time i will push my GT- 10, i dont know what people complain about with regards to fine tuning stompbox sounds but you can do ANYTHING YOU WANT. Its worth the extra hundred bucks or so over the generic ones and seeing as its cheaper than the pod (last i checked) its the way i went. Lets see here, sounds good, works great, built like a tank and has connectivity to pc for even more crazy loops; sounds like a good deal to a fellow bedroom guitarist. Dont pay for cheap crap even if you dont like the multi effects pedal you can usually sell em for around the same price because people just like you wanna try them out.
~Defiant~
Last edited by Aurex at Aug 6, 2009,
my main concern is that ive got a blackstar ht-5 and i really like the distortion on it, and id hate to alter it with some crap modeler. i dont mind having amp and cab options to play with, i just would like to be able to maintain whats coming out of the amp right now and add a few effects primarily.

are there any opinions on which one to get? ive got a vote for the pod and a gt-10. i saw a vox tonelab, and what really piqued my interest was the acoustic simulator. i think i'd really like that option. what are your opinions of the tonelab, or do the gt-10 or pod have an acoustic model? (trying to find specs for these things is tough...they all just say how many odels or effects they have, not what they have)
I wouldn't recommend any of the Digitech RP series unless you are an absolute beginner to multi effects. They are such a pain in the ass to set, you have to make individual patches for each sound.. It's so tedious.

If you already have some experience I'd recommend the BOSS ME series. I'm still trying to sell my RP200A so I can get an ME-50...
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Look into a Line 6 POD - one of the best multi-effects processors on the market (imo).

Generally, though, stompboxes are superior to the effects found on multi-effects processors. You are paying for a million low-quality effects, 99% of which you will never use. My advice is to determine which effects you actually want and buy them in single pedal form. But if you are hell-bent on a multi-effects then go with the POD.

their original floor model was out of this world amazing compared to every other multi board i've ever heard! everything since has been meh, but any of their models beat the crap out of the boss/digitech stuff (though rarely in price). haven't much experience with vox multi's, but i hear decent enough things to make them worth considering.

Oh, and individual pedals win hands down (unless you just go out and buy pedals from the same maker as you would a multi... pedals still win, but by a much narrower margin), but for bedroom practices a decent multi is way more economically friendly.
POD XT Live. I can by pass anything i want with it.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD