Hey guys, okay so I'm learning an amazingly difficult song, called Silent Revelation by Galneryus, played by an amazing Japanese guitarist named Syu.

In this song, there is a lot of sweep picking and a lot of movement especially for me cause I'm new to guitar but am practicing every single day for hours just playing tab and doing exercises. So far so good.

One question though, in one part of this song, Syu does very wide chords, I can barre, but there so wide that my pinky does not have enough pressure to hold down these notes.

For example here are some of the chords.

(D) C# --5-----5----5-----4-----3--------
(A) G# --7-----2----1-----5-----5--------
(E) D# --3-----2----1-----2-----1--------

Can anyone give me tips on how to switch/get these chords fluently besides practice (of course I'll practice them. ) Exercises, etc to help stretch my fingers so I can easily play these chords.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xwURhndOaE Heres the song and how he plays it.

Thanks in advance!!
Last edited by TwinBroz at Aug 6, 2009,
Start by playing the same chord shapes higher up on the neck where it's comfortable and gradually move down the neck making sure you're fingering correctly at all times and stop once it starts to get too uncomfortable, repeat this process often and over the course of a few months you should notice and increase in your stretching ability. The most important thing is to AT ALL TIMES make sure you're not trying to do something you're not capable of, in the case of stretching that can lead to injuries so always make sure you're not causing yourself pain or anything like that.

Also make sure that your thumb is low down on the back of the neck, if you're not already doing that it's proper technique for stretching and should increase your ability to stretch effectively immediately.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
You want wide chords, you should try the jazz version of Bohemian Rhapsody I've been learning.

Here are two of the first chords:
e|---7---4--|
B|---9---6--|
G|--11---6--|
D|--13---9--|
A|----------|
E|----------|
Quote by TwinBroz
Hey guys, okay so I'm learning an amazingly difficult song, called Silent Revelation by Galneryus, played by an amazing Japanese guitarist named Syu.

In this song, there is a lot of sweep picking and a lot of movement especially for me cause I'm new to guitar but am practicing every single day for hours just playing tab and doing exercises. So far so good.

One question though, in one part of this song, Syu does very wide chords, I can barre, but there so wide that my pinky does not have enough pressure to hold down these notes.

For example here are some of the chords.

(D) C# --5-----5----5-----4-----3--------
(A) G# --7-----2----1-----5-----5--------
(E) D# --3-----2----1-----2-----1--------

Can anyone give me tips on how to switch/get these chords fluently besides practice (of course I'll practice them. ) Exercises, etc to help stretch my fingers so I can easily play these chords.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xwURhndOaE Heres the song and how he plays it.

Thanks in advance!!

You sure you should be learning something by the Galneryus?

Anyways, back onto the topic. To add to these people, if you're playing standing up, you could move the guitar neck upwards to stretch easier too. I know Satch does it, I've seen Vai do it. It helps when making really long stretches for certain note grabs.
Quote by FallsDownStairs
You sure you should be learning something by the Galneryus?

Anyways, back onto the topic. To add to these people, if you're playing standing up, you could move the guitar neck upwards to stretch easier too. I know Satch does it, I've seen Vai do it. It helps when making really long stretches for certain note grabs.

Well yea, I love their music, why is it too advanced for now? So far I've practiced the song for 8 hours, just the large chords, sweeping, and shredding gets me.

Everything will probably take time and more practice I guess, well thanks.
Those aren't that hard....(To TS)

And to the jazz guy. Theres no physical way to do that...I can do a 1h7 and I can't do those chords
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Quote by mcraddict81592

And to the jazz guy. Theres no physical way I can/B] do that yet...I can do a 1h7 and I can't do those chords

fixed.

I can do those chords without a problem. I can do 10h21 at best. That's a real stretch.

To TS, do a little stretch exercise. Play frets 1, 3, 5 on the top string and play that though all the strings. after you do it on the high e string, move it up a fret. Do that for a bit and keep moving up by a fret. When you get to about the 7th fret, instead of playing 7, 9, 11, play 7, 10, 13. After a while, you will be able to do 1, 4, 7. Those chords will seem easy.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Quote by mcraddict81592
Those aren't that hard....(To TS)

And to the jazz guy. Theres no physical way to do that...I can do a 1h7 and I can't do those chords

They are possible. The first is quite a nice voicing too. The shape reminds me of this Gmajor 6 chord

e|---
B|-5-
G|-7-
D|-9-
A|-10-
E|---
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.