Page 1 of 3
Well, a while back ago when I first joined I had planned out a build, but due to lack of resources, time, and money, I never even started on it.

This time it's different. I have ordered most of my parts, and even made a mock-up of what I kind of want it to look like.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/Xkakashihatake/Moreorlessnewguitar.jpg

I shall start posting pictures as soon as I start cutting the body shape, but I was wondering if you guys can recommend any chrome or nickel
Locking Tuners (Keystone shaped or whatever) and
TOM + Stop bar bridges

Thanks guys! And look forward for the pictures, they'll be coming some time this week, hopefully.

Edit: Got the knobs!
Last edited by -Raiden- at Aug 6, 2009,
buy the knobs from guitarfetish.com i'm pretty sure they're cheaper. Maybe worse quality, but a knob is a knob. Don't think it's worth like $40 for knobs. You can make a neck with $40 worth of parts. What's your budget for this project? GFS has some inexpensive items. what pickups are you sticking in there?
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I'm planning on spending around $800 on this, more or less. But yeah, 40 seems a little too much. Haven't thought much about the pickups yet, I'll get to that later.

Edit: Guitar fetish ones look great! Thanks for the link man, had forgotten that website.
GFS knobs are pretty good, I've got some on my Strat.
R.I.P. Les Paul, 1915-2009

A man chooses, a slave obeys.
Quote by -Raiden-
I'm planning on spending around $800 on this, more or less. But yeah, 40 seems a little too much. Haven't thought much about the pickups yet, I'll get to that later.

Edit: Guitar fetish ones look great! Thanks for the link man, had forgotten that website.

ooh. That's a lot of money. Still need to save money where you can. Would you buy used pickups? They fly around on ebay for half the price in very good condition. I'd buy a couple humbuckers off of ebay. What kind of sound you going for?

Whoa. The GFS knobs are more expensive. I don't know if the price is for one or four.. really weird. I'll email them.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Last edited by apak at Aug 6, 2009,
It's for a set of four, bought 'em already, two tone two volume, so much cheaper. And they look even better, too.
And on used pick-ups, I think I'd probably rather buy brand new ones, just in case.
But like I said, haven't totally decided on what I want this to sound like, so no pick-ups in mind yet, I'll probably get to that a little later, if you guys want you can start throwing options. I'm probably gonna go for a more Classic Rock sound, Zeppelin-ish.
If you're willing to use ebay, Cord puts up a set of pickups every week starting at 99p. I've tried to win some before, but they go for about $50 apiece (half of the normal price and they're handwound)

Check his profile, everything is recorded with his pups.

oh ok. That's a good deal then. Maybe some sort of PAF in bridge and a duncan 59 in neck?

And $800 is a lot of cash. you can buy some good quality hardware then. Like one of those graphite TOM's and some nice schaller or gotoh locking tuners. Anyways, TOM's don't have to be super good. They're all pretty much the same, but intonation is better on the more expensive ones. Tone is kinda. I mean, the expensive ones are like over $200...
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Yeah, haven't had any experiences with TOMs, so I'm hoping to get some good tips there. And I'm still looking for the tuners, I basically know what I want for the tuners, but haven't found it yet.
If you're ordering off of Allparts.com, nuthinbuttrubl8 (Phil) has a 25% discount, iirc. Only downside is that it takes a bit longer to get to you, but it's a great deal.

i have planet waves locking tuners, and they're not that good. dont buy those.
http://www.guitarpartsdepot.com/product.cgi?group=17626&product=17627 this maybe?
http://www.guitarpartsdepot.com/cart.cgi?group=17074&child=17665 and here.. Nothign fancy. Good and cheap and brand name
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I'll check if there's anything there I need. By the way, too lazy to check on this, had done all my research BEFORE, and I mostly forgot all the small details. I'm pretty sure 500k pots were agreed on for Humbuckers and 250k for singlecoils in general, right? Or do I have it backwards D:
Yep. You can also use 1Meg pots for a brighter tone from humbuckers.

EDIT: Get the Grovers instead. They're 18:1 and locking.

Last edited by bv310 at Aug 6, 2009,
gotta say, like your taste in paintjob i will be watching this thread
~Defiant~
Still gotta figure out how to make the paintjob come out that amazing! But I won't settle for less. Going with the Gotoh's and changing the buttons.
By the way anyone know if these are any good? D:
http://www.guitarpartsdepot.com/product.cgi?group=18242&product=18250
And if notched/unnotched makes a big difference.

Also! tailpieces, does the material really matter? I see Zinc and aluminum ones.
i think notched means it has a space for the string to sit on. Looks like an unfinished TOM. Never heard of unnotched. I wouldn't buy it because I know nothing of it. But then again, the description sounds cool. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=unnotched+tom+bridge
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Bought all the parts left over! All I need now is wire, which I'll probably go buy at a local electronics store, any recommendations?
Oh, and I still gotta choose the pickups.
22AWG solid core at radioshack. It's like 5 bucks for three 30' spools of different colored wires. Solid core IMO is easier to work with because it's stiffer, so you can easily thread it through small holes and tunnels. Also, if you bend it, it stays bent. Real convenient. 22 or 20 AWG are good thicknesses for guitar wiring.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I keep listening to your advice but...

apak
I am always wrong.

D:

Just kidding, thanks man!
Quote by -Raiden-
I keep listening to your advice but...

apak
I am always wrong.

D:

Just kidding, thanks man!

hahaha. That's a disclaimer in case I am wrong. If someone f*cks up badly because of me, I just point at that. XD. Anyways, yeah that wire is good. A lot of people like stranded wire too, but I like solid.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Yeah, I've tried both, I also prefer solid, it was more regarding the thickness. Stranded moves and gets in the way if it's too long, and then if it's too short, you'll pull it and boom, you gotta re-solder.
exactly. Stripping solid core is way easier too. Sometimes, strands rip out and you gotta do it again.... But that's because I don't have a legit stripper and I use my teeth or scissors/ wire cutters.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
just wondering, what the hell is the point of un-notched TOM's?
so you can notch them yourself? like the nut?

or what?... it seems like a stupid idea, the strings would fall off?
Quote by Scowmoo

You deserved this, Matt.
Quote by metal-matt
just wondering, what the hell is the point of un-notched TOM's?
so you can notch them yourself? like the nut?

or what?... it seems like a stupid idea, the strings would fall off?

I know right?? They say it has better sustain, tuning, and tone on the website. Something about locking in place? Who knows..
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Unnotched tom's are so you can line up the strings over the pickup poles in the exact position. You line them up with an old set of strings and then tap the string with a hammer and it leaves a little indentation on the saddle in which you then file in your groove then set your action and set the intonation on your guitar. The reason you use an old set of strings is because they will be now good after this process.
Quote by shawnsblues2
Unnotched tom's are so you can line up the strings over the pickup poles in the exact position. You line them up with an old set of strings and then tap the string with a hammer and it leaves a little indentation on the saddle in which you then file in your groove then set your action and set the intonation on your guitar. The reason you use an old set of strings is because they will be now good after this process.

That makes a lot of sense. But then again, it's like using an F-spaced pickup for a non floyd guitar. It works and it sounds pretty much the same....
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Yeah, I ended up getting the notched ones, but really, I think I should have gotten the unnotched just because they were a bit cheaper. Whatever though. D:
And really, if you think about it, the string wouldn't really fall off due to the tension. It might just move a little while you were tuning, but then you could manually move it into place.
Quote by -Raiden-
Yeah, I ended up getting the notched ones, but really, I think I should have gotten the unnotched just because they were a bit cheaper. Whatever though. D:
And really, if you think about it, the string wouldn't really fall off due to the tension. It might just move a little while you were tuning, but then you could manually move it into place.

no. you're supposed to make the notches yourself. That way you could exactly line up the strings to pole pieces on pickups.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Good point, well, most of these items I ordered can be returned, so no biggie.
Big question, I'm having trouble finding my last piece, a nice flamed maple top. Does anyone know where I could find a nice selection? I'm in California.
veneer or a thicker like 3/4" piece? You can get veneers basically anywhere for cheap. I'd get one of those if I were you.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Nah, I'm looking for like a 3/8"ths piece or so. Maybe even 1/2". I really don't want to cheap out on this build, and I'd rather it be a bit bright sounding.
Quote by apak
22AWG solid core at radioshack. It's like 5 bucks for three 30' spools of different colored wires. Solid core IMO is easier to work with because it's stiffer, so you can easily thread it through small holes and tunnels. Also, if you bend it, it stays bent. Real convenient. 22 or 20 AWG are good thicknesses for guitar wiring.

I hate solid core, I almost never use it unless I have to.
Cant wait to see this build finished man!
Quote by letsgocoyote
No I'm not Jesus. I would aspire to be though. I think under circumstances he would let you pay less if you needed to.
Quote by Little_Buster
I hate solid core, I almost never use it unless I have to.
Cant wait to see this build finished man!

lol. that's why I said a lot of people don't like it. It's my preference, and TS agrees too. I can see some reasons why one would dislike solid core wires. Actually, not really XD
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Well, been working on a decently sized work bench while the parts get here, that way I can be more organized once all the parts arrive. Really tempted to buy Cord's pickups, but the set that convinced me is the "HBS Custom" from the clips on his website, and I don't think he sells that one yet. D:
I jizzed in my pants when I saw that. omnomnom. Are you going with a the 3 knobs instead of the classic 4 like in the picture? and, I know you're probably set on 'buckers, but a dog ear p90 in the bridge would be amazingg.
Quote by WtrPlyr
Quote by alans056
Maybe the price tag is clouding your judgment ?
yeah probably. Or the circuits.
Page 1 of 3