So im thinking of getting into programming. Anyone here do it? What program languages do you use? Does it require math skills? Mine are basic.
not so much math skills, as much as it requires you to have critical problem solving skills. It's definitely frustrating, but rewarding.
Quote by 1201ZJ
FoolishFool, you sir, are a genius. A ****ing genius, I tell you.
Hell yeah. C++ python and perl. It actually makes you feel like a genius when you write a functional program.

I'm currently working on a chess AI program and not knowing where to start. So currently I do not feel like a genius.
Basic programming only requires simple algebra. Now complex programming, which you wouldn't learn on you're own, requires very high math knowledge, such as Linear Algebra.

In my college the intro course is Java, which is fairly easy to learn object oriented programming with. (don't get it confused with javascript)
Yes I program databases, games, robotics software/hardware with C++. It's a powerful and versatile language. I suggest learning it.
Quote by KingJustinian25
Basic programming only requires simple algebra. Now complex programming, which you wouldn't learn on you're own, requires very high math knowledge, such as Linear Algebra.

ah thats bad news guess ill look for another career to get into!
For my major we had to learn FORTRAN... it was the most irritating thing to learn, but the up side as others have said it that you learn how to problem solve... I would say its worth it, but don't learn FORTRAN
I did some BASIC and C++ a couple years ago, but I just got bored of it after a while. I probably gave up too soon, but I also started playing guitar..So I didn't lose anything right?
I'm good with BASIC style languages, and I've noticed that many of them don't require more than logic and problem solving skills. When I attempted to (and failed) to transfer to something more object-oriented like Java and spidermonkeY, I found it too hard, because it was all math-based.

So, depends on the language.
Quote by guitar-godfrey
when i grow up i wanna have blackandsilver's babies!

Quote by angusfan16

Quote by Scowmoo
HOLY HELL.

nice discovery, sir.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by coryklok : Today at 01:10 PM.
Quote by KingJustinian25

In my college the intro course is Java, which is fairly easy to learn object oriented programming with. (don't get it confused with javascript)

Nonsense. I've been programming since I was 12 and I've only recently had to use some stuff I learn when in maths when I was 17 as the most efficient algorithm for something. Everything else is straightforward once you get the basics and experience.
VB.net, QBasic, Java and some simple assembler.

VB.net and Java are both pretty easy and a good start to learn object oriented programming. The .net framework is also easy for when you have to work with databases. Also it's way easier to make a GUI in .net.

Although Java is more fun to program in imo. And if you want to learn c++, Java is a good starting point because the syntax looks alike.

Math isn't really required, unless you want to make some sorting algorithms or do calculations on matrices or something like that.
Last edited by n00bje at Aug 6, 2009,
I'm studying Systems Engineering, which is very oriented at programming.
So far I'm on the second year, and we program with Pascal, C, and Visual Basic so far. This year we're going to start with C++ .
We're on the second year but I still don't see myself as a programmer. So far we only made complicated, but useless stuff like an SO processing simulator.
You definitively don't need to be very good at maths, though it's a very maths oriented career.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

I'm signed up for an introductory computer course in the fall (Java, I think). I like/am pretty good at math, so I'm hoping that I'll find it interesting.
You DON'T need math to make fancy stuff. You can always just look up any equations you need. C++ is the most common language for things that require performance atm, but not a great language to start off with. It's probably what you'll use in University though, or maybe Java.
Well my college has the like 5th rated computer science program in the world thats probably why they do more math than most people... they get into really complex algorithms. I guess it's possible you don't need that much math for most cases.
I interested in game design does require a lot of math? Ive got IGCSE math not A level
You need whatever math you'd need to calculate the stuff in real life. You need some basic math to make two objects face another for example, but again, easily searchable online with plenty of examples. If you wanna get into realistic physics, knowing how things like force affect things would be useful, but that's more physics based and again, easy to look up online. But consider how much math there really is involved when playing your game, how they would code in that, etc. Not everything has to be perfectly realistic after all.
for game designing you will need linear algebra basics (vector addition, dot and cross product etc.) but i learned it back then when i had no clue what a vector was and its actually not that hard. i started out with the SDL library in C++ , can really recommend that, its easy to use has lots of tutorials and you will get results fairly quick (with some experience in c++)

if you want to get into general programming i would recommend java, or c++ (java being less complex). all the math you need is like for array indexing which is mostly just adding numbers.
for java start here : http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/
Last edited by scarecrow_ at Aug 7, 2009,
the math you need to program anything is very, very basic. logical thinking and problem solving skills are what you need.
what like hacking?

That stuff must be complicated. I play Battlefield 2 and people hack falling vehicles and move you scope and all that BS.

It sucks, but it is interesting
Nothing exists there is no you, no me . . .
The level of the math involved depends on what you want to do. For example, I work in computer graphics, and the math is relatively advanced (vector math, Fourier transforms, a lot of what Americans call "calculus" etc).

As for the language, c++ is where it's at, dawg. The rest is for noobs.
Quote by Mad Marius
The level of the math involved depends on what you want to do. For example, I work in computer graphics, and the math is relatively advanced (vector math, Fourier transforms, a lot of what Americans call "calculus" etc).

As for the language, c++ is where it's at, dawg. The rest is for noobs.

I use Cxx

yeah, it's a language I wrote myself.

and only I know how to use.

and it by chance has the same syntax as C++.

BUT IT'S MUCH BETTER.
Quote by CoreysMonster
I use Cxx

yeah, it's a language I wrote myself.

and only I know how to use.

and it by chance has the same syntax as C++.

BUT IT'S MUCH BETTER.

How is it any different from c++ if it has the same syntax?
I tried once, but I failed and gave up.

Learn C++ first, then you may learn the other ones easily thereafter.
C# is also quite good i think
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Quote by Mad Marius
How is it any different from c++ if it has the same syntax?

poor Mad Marius has broken his unfunny joke detector
Better learn some SQL skills while your there mate. Database queries and data structure are required knowledge for any decent developer these days.

Not to discourage anyone from IT but you will feel like your at school still whilst working a full time job and then some with all the overtime and study you WILL end up doing to stay ahead.

Its a challenging career path to say the least.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
It's not that hard.
I was able to make some nice games with C++ and Allegro.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
I do a little Perl and SQL. I write little .cgi scripts and little perl programs for our company as everything we have is in house design. My boss has taught me pretty much everything so far....Hell, I had no clue how to do HTML before I started here 8 years ago.

I've wrote a guitar script that tells you what note and octave each fret and string is as well as a program that extracts a story from fanfiction.net to txt files cause I didn't feel like copy and pasting 130+ pages of story that could possibly get updated throughout.

Really it's just a different mind set, thinking like a computer, getting the logic down
No one really programs computers anymore, they develop software mainly....

Needless to say, I'm "good" at it, but I hate doing it. It's absolutely boring. If anyone is thinking of this as a career choice, go with photography or music instead....
I play guitar like a pirate with two hooks....so...uh...just call me Meathook! Yar!
Quote by cokronk

Needless to say, I'm "good" at it, but I hate doing it. It's absolutely boring. If anyone is thinking of this as a career choice, go with photography or music instead....

Photography and music are nowhere near as good paying as computer programming.

For a first language, I learned C++. I would recommend learning Java or C++ first. Once you can do that, move on to more fun languages like Python or Ruby. Forget Perl.

Or you can go the web development route and learn PHP, HTML, CSS, Ruby on Rails...
Quote by Badozlon
Photography and music are nowhere near as good paying as computer programming.

For a first language, I learned C++. I would recommend learning Java or C++ first. Once you can do that, move on to more fun languages like Python or Ruby. Forget Perl.

Or you can go the web development route and learn PHP, HTML, CSS, Ruby on Rails...

Music may be a harder field to make money in, but depending on your field of photography. $3000-$4000 +/- depending on your market for one wedding and doing at least 4 of those a month? You're a programmer, you can do the math.

Plus I know other photographers that travel the world and make so much money. One day I'll be able to quit my IT job and do that...

Ed: And I didn't mean to sound conceited on the first post. I should have said I'm good at what I do, but needless to say, I hate it....
I play guitar like a pirate with two hooks....so...uh...just call me Meathook! Yar!
Last edited by cokronk at Aug 7, 2009,
for my first year of engineering studies they started us straight into c++ while incorporating linear algebra and the such. I dont want to sound like a bummer and bring you down if its what you want to do, but it was the single worst academic experience of my life. i did pass the course, not by much though. i did not find it anywhere close to rewarding or fun
Vocals Wanted For:
Tool-Sober, Aenema
Led Zeppelin-The Ocean
Audioslave-Cochise
Sublime-Santeria
Rush-Tom Sawyer, Fly By Night, Limelight
Assorted Original Acoustics

PM if interested
I do and I use C#.

Quote by cokronk
No one really programs computers anymore, they develop software mainly....

Just because you find it boring doesn't mean other people will find it boring.
Last edited by creelers at Aug 7, 2009,
I know C++ and Java, but I really only work with PHP and MySQL databases often.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
Quote by creelers
I do and I use C#.

Just because you find it boring doesn't mean other people will find it boring.

It's definitely what I thought I wanted to do with my life. Now that I'm doing it, not so much.
Quote by cokronk
It's definitely what I thought I wanted to do with my life. Now that I'm doing it, not so much.

Same here.

It was the only task I would undertake...

I P R O G
...to reap the harvest that was mine

- [ P R O G - H E A D ? ] -
I tried C# .net and know it's bare basics.

I did use Game Maker and got good at it, but quitted due to that i lost the patience needed to use it.