Poll: Does this chord cause anyone else hand/finger cramps/discomfort?
Poll Options
View poll results: Does this chord cause anyone else hand/finger cramps/discomfort?
Yes
5 12%
No
38 88%
Voters: 43.
-----
--3--
--2--
--4--
--5--
-----

Does this chord cause any cramping/discomfort on and/or between the index and middle fingers for anyone else besides myself?

This damn chord from the intro to Under the Bridge (RHCP)... it has me just pissed off at my lack of dexterity. I mean, it's cramping my fingers and hand up after only a few times around of practicing that. And that discomfort is slowing me down big time...

Will practicing this chord make things get easier over time, or... seeing that there is discomfort, will it cause things to get worse over time? Cause, as far as I know, stretching doesn't cause the hand to cramp does it? (never had it before)... and I've got proper form... had that for years, lol.... so I dunno...
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Did you try maybe making the chord into a different voicing? If you can produce the same sound and tone of the chord but in an easier format for you to play, then do it.

I just attempted the chord and I have no problems with it, but lately I've been playing a lot of Jazz stuff which has a lot of weird chords in it.

If it's causing discomfort, it's something wrong with how you're playing it. Don't be so confident in your technique because there is always room for improvement. Keep practicing it, but if you still have discomfort or pain of any sort, find a new way to play the chord (Like I stated above).
Try playing it like this:

e|-----
B|-----
G|--7--
D|--7--
A|--9--
E|--10-
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
No, don't change the way you play it. That chord is only over a range of four frets, which you should be able to do comfortably. Practice not tensing up when you play the chord. Also make sure you're not putting your thumb around the neck like you normally would with an open G chord, for example - with that chord you should put your thumb behind the neck
No, it's a pretty common major chord voicing. Just practice
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
That is one of the more awkward chords that you'll commonly see in rock, but I learned Under the Bridge with much less experience than you (judging by your join date) - after about a year and a few months of playing - so just persevere, it took me a couple weeks too.
It just a D major chord. I suggest you to practice it until you can play it comfortably. You can practice by playing it on a higher fret, say 7th fret, which is a E major and as you get more comfortable, you play it on the 6th fret and so on.

Anyway, you also can play that chord like this:

e|-----
B|--3--
G|--2--
D|--0--
A|-----
E|-----

which is more easier
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by El Cumanés
It just a D major chord. I suggest you to practice it until you can play it comfortably. You can practice by playing it on a higher fret, say 7th fret, which is a E major and as you get more comfortable, you play it on the 6th fret and so on.

Anyway, you also can play that chord like this:

e|-----
B|--3--
G|--2--
D|--0--
A|-----
E|-----

which is more easier

not really the same chord though. the one he plays has an F# in the bass as well as another D.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
epi les paul w/ SD Alnico II pros
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
fixed

I purposely omitted the F# to get the most closest sound of the original chord, but it could work also.

To psychokiller99: Which F# in the bass? I'm guessing the TS is using the standard tuning.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by El Cumanés
I purposely omitted the F# to get the most closest sound of the original chord, but it could work also.

To psychokiller99: Which F# in the bass? I'm guessing the TS is using the standard tuning.

the fourth fret of the D string is an F# I believe. I know there's a D below that too, but IMO the lower F# makes the chord sound a bit different.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
Quote by El Cumanés

What you posted was a D5, not even a chord.
i recognized the chord right away. and ya its a b*tch it took me awhile to learn and i think you pretty much gotta play it that way since its not played as a chord but individual notes and you gotta 3h5p3 with you pinky finger to deal with after that riff. just keep practicing at it you will get it eventually. and if you get frustrated just learn another song and come back to it later.
Well, I can play that riff at the proper tempo easily enough after warming up on the chord... but the chord itself is hell on my index and middle fingers and the muscles for them and between them... It's not painful persay... but I can only last a few minutes before my playing becomes worse and worse ... i start muting strings I didn't in the begining, and I find myself becoming more and more tired, at least in that hand. And this brings me to a quite frustrated mood... I know it's fairly basic really, just a D chord with the extra D added up top... But it's just bothering those two fingers and eventually from there to my forearm if I go for more than 5 minutes. Same thing happens with any barre chords I do because of the barre... is it normal to have this kind of discomfort from that chord, or the E major barre form (say 355433 which is the E major barre moved up to become a G major I belive) when u first start out with those kinds of chords? Or do I just need to take a microscopic look at my fretting hand and what's going on there?

I say I have good technique because I've gone through proper fretting hand technique before, many times... and I know where the thumb goes, what to do for this chord versus that chord, etc, etc, etc. But like you said, u can always find something to improve, so mabey I do need to take a microscopic look and see if anything funky is up... but so far it doesn't seem so.

Thanks for the posts, keep em coming

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
you can play it like this, if you mean the intro part:

E------------------------
B-2------3--------------
G-----2----2------------
D--0---4-----4-----------
A-5------------4-2-------
E-------------------4-2-0--

-----
--3--
--2--
--4--
--5--
-----

that way i posted is easier, even if it's not a whole chord
I'm not looking for alternatives as far as the chords go. What ever J.F. himself played is what I want to play, as he played/plays it. Though thanks for the alternatives.

I was just wondering if anyone else found that chord as crazy as I did... heh. Thanks for the help though.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
I don't have trouble making the stretch, but do have trouble switching to the chord all at once (guess I should practise that a bit). When I play under the bridge I usually put my fingers down gradually as I arpeggiate it, rather than all at once.
try barring the second fret with your index finger and then grabbing the chord with your other fingers.
Traynor YCV50 Blue
Dunlop Slash Wah
EH Deluxe Memory Boy
Moen Jimi Vibe
Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz
Zvex Vexter Fuzz Factory
VHT 2x12 w/ V30's
not for me
but a chord that does are the two in the beginning of #41 by dave matthews
i just play am and bm cuz its the same chord

but man that thing is crazy on my hand

e------
B------
G--5--
D--2--
A--3--
E--5--
Taylor 314CE
Modulus G2T and G3CT
3 Warmoth Guitars
2 Fender MIA Strats--SRV & JM
Alvarez w/ Modulus Neck and EMG DG-20s
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50 w/ 1960a cab
Breedlove AC250/SM12
Gold Tone Weissenborn
Adrenalinn III & FCB1010
ALOT of pedals
Well, u know... I wonder if it's suppoed to be barred? I mean, how is it that J.F. does it? Cause barring it seems a lot more comfortable though I have issues with barring atm, but I can work on it... if it's supposed to be barred? I know the F# next up is...

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!