Page 1 of 2
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203674704574328920789548170.html?mod=yhoofront

anyone of these "scientists" ever think that the abbreviations are just to save time in sending a message?

idk i just though it was funny and wanted to share... also read the quote from the article below

Teenagers, for their part, text in code for a reason, says Anne Mitchell, president of the Institute for Social Internet Public Policy, based in Boulder, Colo. “It is usually because they are involved in activities which they don’t want their parents to discover, such as casual sex, drugs and alcohol,” she says. Indeed, parents may be startled by such popular terms as GNOC (“Get naked on camera&rdquo, POS (“Parent over shoulder&rdquo, LMIRL (“Let’s meet in real life&rdquo and IWSN (“I want sex now&rdquo.

because we are all alcohol, drug and sex addicts
Quote by carmel_l
Frenchy's red.
Finally, true communism will ensue.
I think
E-Married to the very beautiful Epic_Cleavage also soon to be married to Epic_Cleavage, aka the beautiful Ms. Joanna Moore
I type everything out in text.

I ****ing hate when people abbreviate.
Blindfolds aside I'd probably still close my eyes

And try to feel a trembling fetal life inside
that shotgun barrel that's about to make me bleed

Like an ulcer in the stomach of the beast

Quote by Aurex
your sarcasam amuses me

CSUSM
****ing teenagers...

in 20 days im not gonna be one of you!

lol omg h4x!
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by cm_punk_fan

we are in the pit...most days.

But I normally type every word out perfectly.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
Quote by sneyob
I type everything out in text.

I ****ing hate when people abbreviate.

yeah i do too, i just found the article funny
Quote by carmel_l
Frenchy's red.
I think
E-Married to the very beautiful Epic_Cleavage also soon to be married to Epic_Cleavage, aka the beautiful Ms. Joanna Moore
****s retarded. what they need to figure out is why teenage chicks feel the need to say "double you tee eff" rather than "what the ****" even though it has more syllables, same applies for other ones too.
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous
I'm trying to cover one of my bedroom walls in semen. I'm about half way done.

Pics coming soon
it's hilarious because i have never heard any of those abbreviations used in real life
Quote by RATM forever
definitely the best spam thread today!
Quote by cm_punk_fan

*cough*
This is my Signature.
Please don't tell me I'm the only one who had no idea what GNOC, LMIRL, and IWSN meant.

EDIT: In fact, the majority of abbreviations that they talk about in the article I've never even SEEN.
Last edited by crazy8rgood at Aug 6, 2009,
Quote by crazy8rgood
Please don't tell me I'm the only one who had no idea what GNOC, LMIRL, and IWSN meant.

i still don't know what they mean and i read the article
Quote by carmel_l
Frenchy's red.
I think
I don't know anyone who uses those abbreviations...
Quote by I.O.T.M
Taking the piss out of Americans is like bullying retards, it's unashamedly one-sided but extremely gratifying.
Quote by cm_punk_fan
i still don't know what they mean and i read the article

I know, right?

I mean "WOMBAT", who the **** say's "WOMBAT" when they want to say "Waste of money, brains, and time"

Saying the actual thing is A LOT more effective.
i cant stand not using proper grammar
Quote by RU Experienced?
I like staring at girls' boobs and seeing how long it takes them to say something and what their reaction is. It's win-win-win

Quote by darkstar2466
I once saw two snails fuck. It was pretty damn cool.
taf
Quote by PhillyHendrix
I was thinking the same thing when I posted it!!

E-cookie for you! *Hands chicubswill an E-cookie*
Nobody on this earth uses half of those abrreviations.
Time keeps on slipping...

Quote by skaterskagg1
AtomicPunk7 is uncreative.
It is usually because they are involved in activities which they don’t want their parents to discover, such as casual sex, drugs and alcohol,” she says. Indeed, parents may be startled by such popular terms as GNOC (“Get naked on camera&rdquo, POS (“Parent over shoulder&rdquo, LMIRL (“Let’s meet in real life&rdquo and IWSN (“I want sex now&rdquo.

Oh, Bull! This is gonna turn out like that "sexting" thing: "Every teen is doing it! Monitor your kids! zomgzomgzomg!"

I don't think my parents would find my texts interesting anyways. I only use abbreviations like "lol", "TTYL" and such. I haven't even heard of most of those abbreviations, much less used them.
Part of this Complete Breakfast!
“I’m so sorry to hear about your mother passing away. LOL. Let me know if there’s anything I can do.”
Here's my Youtube channel.
I play guitar and video games on it.
You're more than welcome to check it out.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by Born_to_shred : Next week or so
Quote by Flippy Floppy
Oh, Bull! This is gonna turn out like that "sexting" thing: "Every teen is doing it! Monitor your kids! zomgzomgzomg!"

I don't think my parents would find my texts interesting anyways. I only use abbreviations like "lol", "TTYL" and such. I haven't even heard of most of those abbreviations, much less used them.

the media is right, every kid in the world is doing it.

its like a horrific zerg rush of underage sex.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Quote by Turkeyburger

and POS is piece of sh*t

That's what I thought too, on topic I hate using abbreviations except for a few.
all I ever wanted was to pick apart the day
put the pieces back together my way
Ironically, I actually only use abbreviations outside of texting.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote by Born_to_shred
Ironically, I actually only use abbreviations outside of texting.

...and it's people like you that annoy me to tears.
Quote by crazy8rgood
...and it's people like you that annoy me to tears.

Eh. It's all tounge-in-cheek.

Quote by Born_to_shred
Eh. It's all tounge-in-cheek.

Oh, well, in that case, move along, sir.
Your little sentence at the end made me think of Weezer (We Are All On Drugs). Good song.

i h8 wen ppl tlk lyk dis nd think dey r coo cuz dey b lyk dis. That **** pisses me off.
There be no shelter here.
This is why i hate authority. Everyone of them are more ignorant than the "lesser" in society. **** whoever thinks this way. Seriously. It pisses me off.
"Then I just had a cage full of mice."
o god guys its the wall street journal this looks legit -.- being part of their target i have never used any of the abbv. they have in their popular list on the left... so wtf they gettin their info from?
~Defiant~
Quote by Echoplex
You missed an apostrophe.

not to mention a period.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Your post was the only bright spot in this disgusting piece of thread.

Quote by lexanirider78
You have balls. I like balls....(awkward silence)

Quote by SeveralSpecies
I waited for the rape.

...but the rape never came
Quote by ryan_nadon
not to mention a period.

and a capital I
~Defiant~
Quote by ryan_nadon
not to mention a period.

He didn't capitalize the first letter either...

I used to abbreviate everything. And now i type it all out... Anyway the lady's comment is pretty dumb.
Ohh those scientists nailed it on the head. Every time I want sex I always text my gf saying IWSN.
Man the clothes just come flying off, I tell ya.
love is love // return to dust
Quote by Flippy Floppy

sexting got old very fast for me. it loses its appeal
Besides "lol" I type out everything in full on the computer. Using my phone though, I use tons of abbreviations because there's a character limit and because typing on a phone takes a long time. I'm sure my parents would still be able to understand my texts though.
Quote by cm_punk_fan

Of course... they couldn't make anything out of this dumb article without including some popular stereotypes!
I like the way news is run nowadays, don't you?
Hey TS, LMIL so we can GNOC, oh wat, POS.

Quote by CoreysMonster

I still like cho0onger more than the 2 of you

Quote by OneHappyCamper
joke's on you, i actually fuck my cat
Page 1 of 2