Page 1 of 2
My friend gave me a new bass today. It's in decent shape.

Missing D string.

Semi-artistic =/

A missing string and some burn marks from his cigarettes. It also smells like smoke.

I was thinking of, since it's just a random bass, I should defret it. Feedback?
Sorry if I'm missing something...but what good would it be to defret it? The neck would still have the cuts where the frets were.
Gear I Want:
-Boss GEB-7
-Boss LMB-3
-Boss CEB-3
-Korg Pitchblack
-Boss ODB-3
-Fender Road Worn 50s Precision Bass

Gear I Have:
-Peavey Millennium BXP =]
SWR WorkingPro 2x10C =D
Quote by NearDissent
Sorry if I'm missing something...but what good would it be to defret it? The neck would still have the cuts where the frets were.

Usually when one defrets, he or she fills the fret holes in with wood filler or something to that effect.
hey, its a free bass, no real loss if you mess it up
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Quote by justinb904
hey, its a free bass, no real loss if you mess it up

It is a loss, just not as big as if you actually paid for it.
Quote by RPGoof
I've killed many, many people.
They respawn though

Quote by the humanity
jazz bass.

t-bird is muddy inversatile, and reminds me of emo chicks.

Current rig: Peavey Millennium 5 - Drive B15

To buy: Ampeg BA112 or BA115
P-basses without frets? I like the frets...

20 bucks?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by Royal Celebi
What do you mean?

it was a joke deal you shouldn't take. 20 bucks for the bass.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
it was a joke deal you shouldn't take. 20 bucks for the bass.

Oh O_o? I don't get it.

Anyway I'm playing it now and it's actually really nice...despite the lacking d string (tuned g down to d ). I think I'm going to enjoy this thing thoroughly.
Quote by Royal Celebi
Oh O_o? I don't get it.

Anyway I'm playing it now and it's actually really nice...despite the lacking d string (tuned g down to d ). I think I'm going to enjoy this thing thoroughly.

new strings?
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
new strings?

I'll get there eventually. One, it's two in the morning. Two, I don't have any money at the moment. Three, I'm still trying to figure out whether I should keep the frets or not (decides which strings I buy)
keep the frets- the fretted P-bass is the most useful sound to have in the arsenal.

not the favorite! but the most versatile.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
keep the frets- the fretted P-bass is the most useful sound to have in the arsenal.

not the favorite! but the most versatile.

Explain please?
Quote by Royal Celebi
Explain please?

the sounds versatile suits a vast range of genre's you cant really find any other bass that suits and fits in every genre i mean Steve Harris uses one aswell as Mike Dirnt and the 2 play totally diffrent genre's to be honest you can never go wrong with the P-bass its that versatile and can play bout any genre its literally a workhorse of a bass.
it's the only bass that on a single setting, untouched can go from blues to metal to pop to rock and still fit like a glove everywhere.

a j-bass also fits everywhere, but not the same setting I think.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

The new precision-less bass, soon to be played by Royal Celebi
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
The new precision-less bass, soon to be played by Royal Celebi

Heh, maybe it did pay off for me to read the wiki article on how a p bass came to be.

It is still a bit funny how you considered taking the frets off a bass thats famous for being fretted Royal Celebi.

Nice little gift ya got there, good job.
"Rome wasn't built in a week"

"Yeah but when they built rome, they didnt go "hey look, there's a functional building" AND ****ING KICK IT OVER AND PISS ON THE ASHES BECAUSE THE PEASANTS WERE CRYING THAT IT WAS TOO GLORIOUS AND AWESOME."
Quote by Thegian
Heh, maybe it did pay off for me to read the wiki article on how a p bass came to be.

It is still a bit funny how you considered taking the frets off a bass thats famous for being fretted Royal Celebi.

Nice little gift ya got there, good job.

What's wrong with taking the frets off? Honestly, I'm a bit confused.
The reason the precision bass is called the precision bass is because it was more precise than a double bass, because of the frets.
Sooo, removing the frets rather spoils the point of the precision part.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by fatgoogle
The reason the precision bass is called the precision bass is because it was more precise than a double bass, because of the frets.
Sooo, removing the frets rather spoils the point of the precision part.

But I still will know where the fret markings are...so I don't get it...
Quote by Royal Celebi
But I still will know where the fret markings are...so I don't get it...

no matter where you put your finger, it's a precise note when it's fretted, with enough pressure anyways. got it yet?
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
no matter where you put your finger, it's a precise note when it's fretted, with enough pressure anyways. got it yet?

OH! That makes a lot more sense. Ok, so I'll keep the frets.

Any ideas on how to get the burn marks off xD
leave em, that **** is right up sexy.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Don't forget; Fender issued a fretless P as far back as 1970!

Keep the burn marks, they're wear from life and use. Put flatwounds on it; a) because they sound boss, and b) if you do de-fret it, you've already got the right strings.
I know theyve released fretless p's its still funny though.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by creepingjesus73
Don't forget; Fender issued a fretless P as far back as 1970!

Keep the burn marks, they're wear from life and use. Put flatwounds on it; a) because they sound boss, and b) if you do de-fret it, you've already got the right strings.

What kinda sounds would the flats give it?
Quote by Royal Celebi
What kinda sounds would the flats give it?

The two best known flats-on-a-Precision tones are Steve Harris, and Motown legend James Jamerson. There's a depth of tone you get with flats which rounds don't have. They do sound different, and tbh if I'd a spare P, I'd do it myself.
Quote by Black Ox
Try listening to some Iron Maiden.

I always loved that tone . Thanks for the feedback. Anything else I should do other than love this as if I bought it myself?
thats a really nice gift. put some new strings on it and learn how to play it. fretless is usually for the more advanced players, or players that have orchestra or double bass experience. besides, defretting kills any resale value the bass may have. i prefer roundwound
strings, myself. roundwound have a lot brighter tone than flats. www.rotosound.com

the P-bass has set a standard for bass that few other designs can compete with. basically, it can play any style you choose. the tone is accepted world wide, as the way a bass should sound. congratulations! now, turn off this computer and start practicing.
To quote the bass commandments:

In the beginning there was a bass. It was a Fender, probably a Precision...

Precisions with flats are the sexy guys of the bass world. They have a look and sound that is unique and their own, and they are the men of the world, they fit in anywhere they roam, be it a jazz club, a blues club, the grooves of Motown and Stax or the land of classic rock and metal.

Congrats!
if you already have another bass then YES DEFRET IT. Otherwise just leave it, and when you get the moolah get a fretless or another junker to defret.
Quote by justinrobbins7
*unzipppp* "Deal with this, wench."

Quote by Mazzakazza
Ug Knows 1000% More About Scrotal Sacs Than Real Doctors.
Hm Let Me Investigate. You Has The Painful Scroties? You Has Aids.
Next Plz.
Quote by 83lespaulstudio
thats a really nice gift. put some new strings on it and learn how to play it. fretless is usually for the more advanced players, or players that have orchestra or double bass experience. besides, defretting kills any resale value the bass may have. i prefer roundwound
strings, myself. roundwound have a lot brighter tone than flats. www.rotosound.com

the P-bass has set a standard for bass that few other designs can compete with. basically, it can play any style you choose. the tone is accepted world wide, as the way a bass should sound. congratulations! now, turn off this computer and start practicing.

I'm not quite sure if bright will fit into post-hardcore/metalcore (my current band). And I've been juggling jamming with it and doing my summer spanish work all day :P.

Quote by anarkee
To quote the bass commandments:

In the beginning there was a bass. It was a Fender, probably a Precision...

Precisions with flats are the sexy guys of the bass world. They have a look and sound that is unique and their own, and they are the men of the world, they fit in anywhere they roam, be it a jazz club, a blues club, the grooves of Motown and Stax or the land of classic rock and metal.

Congrats!

Well thank you. Any suggestions as to what brand of strings I should get?
Quote by anarkee
I would suggest a set of Rotosound 77s myself.

So then the brightness of rotos would fit in metalcore?
Quote by Royal Celebi
I always loved that tone . Thanks for the feedback. Anything else I should do other than love this as if I bought it myself?

slap a tortoise pickguard on it,or maybe a black one.
Quote by anarkee
I would suggest a set of Rotosound 77s myself.

i'm thinking Roto 77's are flats(less bright), i would put Roto Swing 66's(roundwounds) on it and adjust the brightness with the tone knob. have i mentioned how much i appreciate the moderators of UG Bass lately?
Quote by Royal Celebi
So then the brightness of rotos would fit in metalcore?

The flats aren't really bright as much as they have a slight treble edge, which will mellow slightly with play.
Quote by anarkee
The flats aren't really bright as much as they have a slight treble edge, which will mellow slightly with play.

Good good. I like treble. I need to stick out.
Page 1 of 2