I know you guys probably get a million and one posts about why does'nt my amp work ans blah blah blah, and ill probably be tortured by regulars around here but i'm still going to ask.

I have a peavey butcher that my dad gave me. It was his amp when he was in a band when he was younger and its now been passed on to me for my time in a band, or at least to get me going. He has had it rebuilt multiple times and even had it slightly revamped more than once, like putting better tubes than it had before rebuilding it, things like that. Now i get a horrible hum and wicked feedback. Its not my cables because I have run them all through other amps without problem and a majority of them are new. I found the manual online and adjusted the hum balance like its explained in the manual but it only reduces it an very minnimumly (can't spell). The other problem is the feedback. In my rig have a jackson warrior, with a boss chromatic tuner->digitech hardwire metal distortion->boss noise suppressor. I can kill all the feedback by cutting the volume from the guitar (obviously), and its not really a problem when i'm playing but there cant be any stops without extremely loud high pitched schreching. If anyone knows about the amp it has a high and low gain input. High gain is distorted, Low gain is the "clean channel". The low gain just isnt loud enough and it really doesnt help with the feedback.

Could it be the tubes being kinda worn out, or just maybe an overall sign of age with the amp, or is it just the way the amp is, or am i just stupid?
Quote by Invader Jim
Probably just need to recap it (replace all the caps that aren't ceramic, mica, or poly film). Gut shots?

ceramic caps work in amps?
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Unfortinatly I can't take gut shots at the moment because the amp is at my drummers house and i wont be playing again till wednesday. How difficult would it be to recap an amp. I'v never done any work with any amps and would'nt want to ruin it, but I have gutted and fixed or toyed with some electronics before so if its a simple prossess Ill probably be fine on my own.
Quote by chaotischerapos
Unfortinatly I can't take gut shots at the moment because the amp is at my drummers house and i wont be playing again till wednesday. How difficult would it be to recap an amp. I'v never done any work with any amps and would'nt want to ruin it, but I have gutted and fixed or toyed with some electronics before so if its a simple prossess Ill probably be fine on my own.

should be simple if you know how to solder. If you don't, it's really easy to learn with a few minutes of practice. All you gotta do is desolder the old caps out and put new ones of the same values in their places. As simple as that.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
yea i can solder fine, that sounds like no big deal. The schematics will show were all of the caps are so i don't have to go searching? It probably would'nt be a big deal to find them inside the amp once i know what they look like but i would rather buy everything I need before opening it up. This solution makes me very happy because I absolutly love the tone and sheer mass in volume this amp makes. Its really got balls, and I really don't want to have to replace it
And it's kinda cool because it's your dad's old amp. i wish my dad really and seriously played guitar as a kid.... Then I could i have cool old hand-me-down projects like you do :S
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
lol it is kinda cool. He gave me two old marshall cabs too. Its all really beat up but works and sounds good. Unfortinatly I do want to replace the cabs with a new vader. I prefer performance than vintage. I really want to do some heavy modding to the amp and my dad did too, he just said to play it for a while and find everything to change, but there really isnt that much about modding this amp except lengthy discusions on what tubes to put in it that all lead to the same thing, experiment and find what fits. Ahh well.
Just be careful not to touch anything else inside the amp. Amps store charges that can kill you, so do what you gotta do and get out. Don't poke around with things you don't understand...caps are safe to replace, but other things can be dangerous.....
Quote by genghisgandhi
make the bass more bassy

Quote by grohl1987
You really like input jacks, don't you?

My Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Greg Bennett Acoustic
Epiphone G-1275
You can discharge it by shutting it off without going you standby, can't you? I read that on here a while back..
Nope, no sig here.
Id rather not get electrocuted and killed. Is it safe to change tubes on my own to, or is that a more dangerous proccess?
as long as it's unplugged, it's pretty safe. Anything in electronics is dangerous, but it's not THAT risky.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
well i would'nt really ever play with any open elecronics plugged in or with batteries, thats a but of a no brainer. Is there a need to discharge myself by touching metal before touching anything inside like you do with a computer?
Quote by apak
as long as it's unplugged, it's pretty safe. Anything in electronics is dangerous, but it's not THAT risky.

This guys going to be in the obituaries very soon.
Listen, Amps CAN store a charge, even when they are unplugged. Figure out what you want to do, and then do some research. I'd rather tell you to be careful and cautious, than tell you to jump in blind and find out that you really did get hurt...
Quote by genghisgandhi
make the bass more bassy

Quote by grohl1987
You really like input jacks, don't you?

My Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Greg Bennett Acoustic
Epiphone G-1275
Apak, you are completely wrong. Tube amps are dangerous. (SS amps are practically harmless though, unless you touch the mains wires)

Does that amp have a standby switch? If not, then you should not open it up. If so, leave it on standby until the biggest (value, not size) caps discharge. There's a formula that I can't remember that you can use to figure out the time it'll take.

Tubes stop conducting when the cathodes cool down so tube circuits can't drain thenselves like SS circuits do. If you have a standby switch, just leave the amp on standby until the biggest caps are down to low or no voltage.

If you didn't get any of that or are too aprehensive, take it to a tech. A tech will know exactly what to do and how to do it.