I want a guitar I can keep for a very long time (that is good), and I looked at the M-II and I've read that it's good for metal and whatever. I've got 800 bucks so far (i know it's not nearly enough), but how much do you think a custom M-II would cost?

I just want to have some nice inlays and a kick ass paint job, basically a very aesthetically pleasing guitar, kind of like the LTD M-1000, instead of the standard neck with dot inlays.

I don't know a whole lot about guitar, but I have been playing for 6 months on my acoustic and a first act guitar that my friend gave to me (i know it's horrible please don't flame lol). It's not saying much at all, but I can play most of metallica's clean songs (nothing else matters, fade to black, the unforgiven, etc), so it's not like I am wasting money on something I'm not sure of, I'll continue playing forever. I also need a bad ass amp to hook it up to, is the Peavey 6505+ good?

I know most of you are probably thinking, just get the M-1000, but that's not what I want!
From ESP's custom shop? $4000 or so before you add any options.Custom paint is another $1000 last I checked.Dropping that kind of money so soon into your journey with guitar is...well.....dumb IMO.For that price you could get a standard ESP model that's still a great quality instrument,a kick ass amp,and a bunch of pedals and still have enough money left over for hookers and ice cream.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Well my mate had his custom Mirage just built and it came out to be over double the cost of a normal Mirage but then again it was basically a whole new guitar. Umm a new paintjob depending on how hard it is can be easily accomodated into the cost of a standard series but new inlays is just basically going to get you a new custom guitar which you won't be able to afford.

And if you've only been playing for 6 months then don't get something that's worth more then you can afford there are plenty of good guitars that come within your price range that are awesome.
Quote by Pr0gNut
From ESP's custom shop? $4000 or so before you add any options.Custom paint is another $1000 last I checked.Dropping that kind of money so soon into your journey with guitar is...well.....dumb IMO.For that price you could get a standard ESP model that's still a great quality instrument,a kick ass amp,and a bunch of pedals and still have enough money left over for hookers and ice cream.

Wow I had no idea it would be that expensive. Yummy ice cream.

What would you recommend for playing mostly metallica then?
Quote by Pr0gNut

This.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
If you're relatively new, and don't have a whole lot of money, you definitely shouldn't consider the custom shop guitars. Those are way overpriced, they'd probably charge you $4000 or more even for something built to the specs of something costing much less. Move in steps. Get an LTD for now, because it will definitely be good enough for you without breaking your bank, and down the road when you're a very skilled player and maybe have a better source of income, save up for an ESP.

EDIT: For playing any certain band, you don't need a guitar that's exactly like theirs. Anyway, if you like the M series, consider the 401. Still very good, but no abalone binding, and it'll have EMG pickups and reversed headstock, like on Kirk Hammett's guitar.
Quote by Perp8tualMotion
Thank you, Red Comet, for restoring a bit of my faith in human kind.
Last edited by The Red Comet at Aug 7, 2009,
Ranguitars.com

just ask for an ESP M-II copy

done

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Maybe I did get a little hyped up over getting a finally good guitar, it's just so damn exciting! I never looked at the 401, but it does look nice and it has the cool reversed headstock and the nice inlays.

What do you mean by no abalone binding, what's the difference?
Quote by aroach31291
Wow I had no idea it would be that expensive. Yummy ice cream.

What would you recommend for playing mostly metallica then?

This amp and any solid body guitar with EMG pickups and a decent trem.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Quote by SPBY
Ranguitars.com

just ask for an ESP M-II copy

done

Err no offence but like ranguitars quality =/= esp custom shop quality.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
Err no offence but like ranguitars quality =/= esp custom shop quality.

yes im aware of this, but its also about half the price.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by aroach31291
Maybe I did get a little hyped up over getting a finally good guitar, it's just so damn exciting! I never looked at the 401, but it does look nice and it has the cool reversed headstock and the nice inlays.

What do you mean by no abalone binding, what's the difference?

Well the LTD Deluxe 1000 series has this abalone colored binding around the guitar. Purely aesthetic, but I've yet to hear of anyone who likes it, it really is hideous.

http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_m.html

There's the LTD M line. I'm guessing you really like reversed headstocks, so that's the line for them. The 401 is the one with the pickups you will want to match Hammett.

http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_deluxe-m.html

Here's the M1000s. The strange colored outline around the fretboard and headstock are the abalone I was talking about.
Quote by Perp8tualMotion
Thank you, Red Comet, for restoring a bit of my faith in human kind.
Last edited by The Red Comet at Aug 7, 2009,
Quote by The Red Comet
Well the LTD Deluxe 1000 series has this abalone colored binding around the guitar. Purely aesthetic, but I've yet to hear of anyone who likes it, it really is hideous.

There's the LTD M line. I'm guessing you really like reversed headstocks, so that's the line for them. The 401 is the one with the pickups you will want to match Hammett.

i think it looks ****in awesome on the Dark Brown Sunburst MH-1000 or the Flamed Blue H-1001. i just love the look of abalone

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by The Red Comet

http://www.espguitars.com/guitars_deluxe-m.html

Here's the M1000s. The strange colored outline around the fretboard and headstock are the abalone I was talking about.

I don't care much for that outline really, but the 401 looks really nice, I'll probably get it.

You've been very helpful, thanks
Lol if you have $5k+ to drop, I'd get a guitar built from a luthier, not a brand name custom shop, lols. Just gotta find a GOOD one....

You gotta consider how that money is being used and how much more you're getting from a custom.... I don't think it's a very good idea.