Where could I find a decent ukulele for under $50? I want something that's good for just messing around without being too serious about it, but is still playable with a decent tone.

EDIT: Feel free to discuss Ukuleles in general here, too.
Last edited by FlyingPirahna at Aug 7, 2009,
Hey, I was thinking about this too. I wanted to get a cheap electric ukulele and run in through my distortion pedal so I could play song brutal riffs with it. Haven't been able to find on cheap enough to bother with, though.
Quote by pawnshopguitars

Ukelele's are awesome

Does anyone know how the chords work? I'm assuming they do have chords, right?

its the same as the bottom four strings of a guitar, except up 4(?) frets. the string that would be the g on the guitar is tuned up one octave. you can use normal chords that you would use on the guitar.

and i dont think you really can get a decent uke for under 50 bucks. theres not much of a market for them, so they go from extremely cheap to really really expensive. theres no middle ground.
Quote by cho0onger
I see your awesome ukelele, and raise you one br00tal ukelele:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfRUU1WTb2c
whats the point of that? it sounds just like a guitar. its just a gimmik.
I have no opinion on this matter.
Last edited by Zugunruhe at Aug 7, 2009,
a ukelele is tuned the same as violin. GCEA
Quote by xMetalGodx
I'm not quite sure if you were trying to be funny or if you have a learning disability, either way, I was not amused.

He is not amused.
Quote by abdulalhazred
you are the best 09er EVER! i am sending you a friend request as soon as i send this

DONT BUY A ROUGE AHHHH they are absolutely toys, I use a lanikai concert sized uke.. which is decent but kinda expensive for what it is.
There are different kinds of ukuleles, the most common being the smallest (soprano), they use re-entrant tuning and are tuned to GCEA. You can play normal guitar chords on them (imagine they're the 4 highest strings on a guitar) but you won't be in the same key. Don't bother going for one that's 50 bucks you're gonna need a little more to get something that will hold tune, sound decent and not break. If you wanna learn some ukulele stuff google ukulele underground, great vids posted by a guy named Aldrine Guerrero.

Quote by nixhex113
DONT BUY A ROUGE AHHHH they are absolutely toys, I use a lanikai concert sized uke.. which is decent but kinda expensive for what it is.

Yeah, Lanikais aren't bad, can't go far wrong with one of those for a first uke. When I got one I just tried a few at my local music shop and picked a nice Baton Rouge. It's either a U5S or a U6S, I'm not entirely sure. Bloody nice though. I think I paid the equivalent of about 200 dollars for it, a case, a new set of strings and all the usual crap you buy.
Last edited by blynd_snyper at Aug 7, 2009,