Anyone know what tubes the alchemist comes with stock?
Also any suggestions about what tubes to get? I'm looking to add a tighter bass and more note definition, because it gets kind of mushy, especially when palm muting. I'm pretty certain that the mushiness is due to the not-so-great stock tubes. I'm not sure if I should just change all 5 preamp and the 2 power tubes and just be done with it.
thanks for any suggestions.
The biggest cause of the mush is the Phase Inverter V5 it has a EHX 12ax7b mid gain tube. At least swap out V1 it's a Ehx 12ax7and V5 Phase Inverter and the Ruby in V4 the effects loop is not that good either. I put Tung - sol in and and have Been Very Happy it's alot tighter and brighter
Quote by enselmis
The bogner?

It's not a high gain amp. It's not meant for super clear palm muted ****, it's for a warm lower gain tone.

It's my belief that any amp can do anything with the right stomp boxes, guitar, and fingers.

Infact I have gotten FANTASTIC stoner/doom metal tones out of a fender bassman and a semi-hollow, simply because of the modded big muff and ts808...Too bad it wasn't my setup...Damn that guy knows how to play with knobs.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
mmjohn, thanks for the suggestion, I'll try that. Did u change the power tubes too?
I'm guessing it came stock with sov's, and tung's will make a marked improvement, but it really isn't meant to be a tight amp. it can get outstanding overdriven tones, but it's very loose and forgiving... just the way it was designed (says Reinhold on a youtube demo). My question is if that's not what you were looking for, then why buy that amp? It's not exactly a cheapo.
Quote by GrisKy
I'm guessing it came stock with sov's, and tung's will make a marked improvement, but it really isn't meant to be a tight amp. it can get outstanding overdriven tones, but it's very loose and forgiving... just the way it was designed (says Reinhold on a youtube demo). My question is if that's not what you were looking for, then why buy that amp? It's not exactly a cheapo.

Nope it comes stock with V1,2,3 EHX 12ax7, V4 is a ruby, V5 is a 12ax7b mid gain. V5 is where the mush is. No problem Bert..........I have yet to mess with the power tubes....It just sounds so good with the New 12ax7's That i'll wait till the Power tube NEED attention. I'm also playing thru a Celestion G12k loaded cab............huge improvement over the V30. Hey Bert if you haven't tried one The MI Audio Crunchbox sounds so good with the Alchemist it will leave you with a huge