Okay guys, I'm looking into learning a great song: Flying In A Blue Dream by Joe Satriani. It's a pretty famous song, so many of you probably already know of it. For those who haven't heard this masterpiece (and for some reference to what I need help with):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMn9sUpunHU

Well as you can clearly see/hear listening to this song, he has some crazy sustain going on here in the beginning. I'm pretty sure the first thing he's playing is a natural harmonic on the 3rd fret of the A string, but I've also seen it as other things. Anyway! I'm wondering how I can get this kind of sustain on my notes! I'm pretty sure that this intro is sustained harmonics (correct me if I'm wrong), but some have said that he uses a pedal for that sustain, and also that he uses amp feedback for it (though he's far from his amp, so I doubt that).

Anyway, help is appreciated, flaming isn't haha

Thanks guys, cheers!
As far as i can remember from watching the G3 live dvd he does just get it as feedback. You dont have to be right infront of an amp to get controlled feedback its reltively simple to get it from monitors aswell as far as i know.

I may be wrong but i think its just him holding down a note and using the trem to adjust the feedback.
Feed back sustain is what it is.

You could maybe get away with a similar sound if you have a Fernendez Sustainer PU
Alright, thanks guys! But could anyone suggest ways I could actually get that level of sustain? I have a Solid State Peavey Vypyr 75W and an HSS Mexican Stratocaster (I'm not sure if the pickups or the type of amp you have matters in this...), but I'm not really sure how I would go about harnessing feedback for my own musical advantage like that!

Again, thanks for the help everyone, cheers!
With my guitars if I fret the low E on the 8th fret (C) and have the volume up I can get some pretty good sounding and controllable feedback, and to keep it sustaining if you tap on your whammy bar it will help to keep that note alive.

It is feedback but it is still a note
Getting that is easy. Change your amp. Chenge your guitar. Change your playing style.
100w vakve combo, guitar with humbuckers and practice. (in a soundproof room)
Now listen to the master (2:30 if you can't enjoy it all)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18FgnFVm5k0
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

he uses his trem alot to keep it sustaining

and you'll need a loud tube amp

EDIT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOsgv_X_cV8&feature=related

or in that case, 3 JSX's
Peavey JSX 120 Half Stack
Mockingbird Evil Edge SE
Mockingbird Special(White)

Set sail to sea but pulled off course by the light of golden treasure --Hetfield, the Unforgiven Pirate

So I dub Thee Unforgiven Three! -How it should have been
Last edited by thedekker at Aug 7, 2009,
Volume is a real help, pumping the gain up a touch might be useful for getting the feel of how to find the feedback spots, and I'd also recommend using the bridge pickup with a fair amount of mids/treble dialed in on the amp whilst you're figuring out how it works and how to control it.

T

EDIT: you also do NOT need a tube/valve amp. Your solid state will do it fine. The physics of feedback has nothing to do with that.
Last edited by TommyRack at Aug 8, 2009,
But solid state feedback usually sounds like crap - you need a tube amp if you want the feedback to be useable.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com