I like to play in drop C and B, but the strings get a tad too loose for me. They're playable, they just dont have enough tension to keep up with my playing and picking during faster music.

I use 10-52 DR's which are the only strings that i like, and i've played em all. I know other people with my guitar that use the same gauge and dont have this problem. Is there a a way to get more tension without adjusting the neck or raising the bridge? (its a fixed gibralter plus bridge i think)

or, any other suggestions? (i've tried higher gauges but it just makes all the frets buzz, and yes my guitar was setup for 10-52's.)

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
im pretty sure you would have to up the gauge and then get it set up for 11's. i could be wrong but i had the same problem with my guitar. i just re adjusted the bridge then intonated it and it worked out fine from there. is it the ibanez in your sig?
www.myspace.com/wearedraind
My Rig:
ESP LTD MH401NT
ESP LTD EX-400BD (two of them)
Peavey 5150
Mesa 4x12 Straightback Slant cab loaded with v30's
Quote by Draind
im pretty sure you would have to up the gauge and then get it set up for 11's. i could be wrong but i had the same problem with my guitar. i just re adjusted the bridge then intonated it and it worked out fine from there. is it the ibanez in your sig?

yeah it's the ibanez, its only the bottom string tho (sometimes the bottom 2 if the picking is excessive), the rest is fine and it's the only gauge i like. I can't go up a gauge tho or it will buzz everywhere...

Im thinking of selling it and getting another esp ltd tho... love that quilted dark brown sunburst. My other ltd (even tho its just a 100 series) is pretty solid.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
I'm assuming the guitar's neck has a straight headstock? It may be that the other people you know have tilt back headstocks. That will increase string tension compared to a straight headstock and could be why you find the strings are too loose but other people don't.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
I'm assuming the guitar's neck has a straight headstock? It may be that the other people you know have tilt back headstocks. That will increase string tension compared to a straight headstock and could be why you find the strings are too loose but other people don't.

nope, mine tilts back like the others.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
frequence = tension/gauge (and scale length should be somewhere in there too :P )

If i'm not mistaken it's mathematically impossible to raise the tension without raising the pitch (with a fixed gauge and length).
So you're only option might be a guitar with a bigger scale length.
Last edited by leech3 at Aug 7, 2009,
Quote by leech3
frequence = tension/gauge (and scale length should be somewhere in there too :P )

If i'm not mistaken it's mathematically impossible to raise the tension without raising the pitch (with a fixed gauge and length).
So you're only option might be a guitar with a bigger scale length.

I think you're thinking of physically impossible, not mathematically.
Yeah. afraid it's physically impossible to do it if you don't want to change the gauge. What you can do however is to change the gauge on just the strings you're not happy with.
Your friends aren't doing anything special. Its physically impossible to have them at a higher tension. This should be blatantly obvious as you cannot tune a string to lets say E2, and then go to the tuner and increase the tension until the string is E2 again.

You must use a higher gauge string if you want more tension, it's impossible otherwise...
Quote by Pac_man0123
I think you're thinking of physically impossible, not mathematically.

Both physics and mathematics go hand in hand.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Just get higher gauges and then get your guitar set up again...

Or you could.....you know........ be a man and tune up >_>
Quote by geetar_man0
Just get higher gauges and then get your guitar set up again...

Or you could.....you know........ be a man and tune up >_>

Don't be silly, real men downtune and use massive strings.
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by Kanthras
Don't be silly, real men downtune and use massive strings.

#

Perhaps you could put on a string tree, that would increase distance, and tension right?

Like this?

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
You'll need to go up a guage. If it's buzzing when you go up a guage, then you'll either have to have the guitar set up (neck and action adjustment) for the new guage by a tech, or learn how to do it yourself.

If he's got a tilt back headstock, there would be no point in having a string tree really, except to even out pressure on the nut if he's got a locking nut.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Quote by geetar_man0
Or you could.....you know........ be a little girl and tune up >_>

Something like that...

If it's just the heaviest two strings that are loose, you could try a pack that's 10-60 or something similar.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
if no one read my first post throroughly, i said i've tried higher gauges, but i would have to raise the action to high for my liking if i use anything above a 52. the guitar IS setup, and im tuned in drop c because my favorite bands play in drop c. I dont think a string retainer would be much help with the way the headstock is, also, i dont want to install one because i dont like how it would look.

GUITARS CURRENTLY USED
Ibanez RG7621
Ibanez RG121
ESP LTD H-400
Quote by SPBY
if no one read my first post throroughly, i said i've tried higher gauges, but i would have to raise the action to high for my liking if i use anything above a 52. the guitar IS setup, and im tuned in drop c because my favorite bands play in drop c. I dont think a string retainer would be much help with the way the headstock is, also, i dont want to install one because i dont like how it would look.

Well, if you've been reading the replies thoroughly, you'll see that basically, it can't be done without upping the guage. If you use drop c, the tension goes down. Period. Only way to increase the tenision is with higher guage strings.

Or get another guitar with longer scale for your drop c tuning.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Quote by SPBY

Raise the action slightly, set the guitar up again and get used to it.

Your only options are to either get used to floppy strings or go bigger. Either way, it's going to involve some adjustment that may cause you some short-term discomfort. Life is suffering, get used it to.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
get a baritone guitar
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
I've heard of people buying a heavy pack and a light pack, and only using the first string of te heavy pack, but it sounds kind of stupid to me...
Epiphone G-400
Roland Cube 30X