anyone wanna suggest how to get a guns n roses sound from a boss MT-2 metal zone or a boss MD-2 mega distortion? and just for the record i know slash's amp settings. thank you.
No chance in a million years with those pedals.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
What amp do you have?
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
oh you won't be getting it with those pedals my friend. as far as i can hear from GNR recordings, slash's sound is usually just the amp being driven hard. pedals make the sound way to compressed. GNR is all overdrive.
You've got about as much chance of getting it with those pedals as I do of having a threesome with Megan Fox and Brody Dalle.

How much money do you have to spend? If you don't have any cash, best advice I can give you is to sell those two and get an MI Audio Crunch Box - it's as close you'll get without saving for a JCM800- type amp.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by steven seagull
No chance in a million years with those pedals.

i dunno, you're kind of right, but i think the MD-2 would just about be satisfactory for someone who is just looking for a "suitable" tone (not that it'll be anywhere near as good). I can't help but feel that boss distortions are underrated on this board. I get the impression that a lot of people were beginners with an ear for tone but lacking the skill for good tone when they come to the conclusion that boss distortions are bad (well, the MT2 is terrible, i'll give you that).

With that said, you will only really get a cheap approximation of the sound at best - slash uses a gibson les paul into various high end marshall amps. Even knowing his amp settings doesn't help much unless you have the same amp, since the same settings will sound completely different on another model of amplifier.

edit: i just checked your other thread - try using your ears and adjusting the EQ. if you can't get a sound like slash with your current rig it's either because you're copying slash's EQ settings exactly but with a more vintage voiced amp, or, you will never be able to copy slash's tone because you're not slash (this is something every guitarist has to come to terms with at some point! )
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Last edited by Blompcube at Aug 7, 2009,
^I agree that there's too much hate for Boss distortions in general (although the Metal Zone and fuzz are terrible, I'm fond of the DS-1 and Blues Driver myself) but those two pedals won't be right for the sound he wants.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Get a lovepedal amp 50 but then you probably will need a new amp.
My Gig Rig...

Fender Straocaster or Gibson Les Paul Slash Special -->Lovepedal Amp 50 --> Boss DD-3 --> Crybaby(soon to be Wh10 reissue) --> Big Muff PI --> Boss DS-2 --> Marshall JCM 900
What amp are you using as your main rig at the moment? If it's your Super Lead, just set it up for the crunchiest tone you can get, and then use the MD-2 with a high 'level' and no more than 1/4 to 1/3 gain to boost the amp. Maybe use your OD-2 as a second little solo boost. Sell the Metal Zone.
Don't fool yourself into thinking more gain = heavier tone.

Most of the overdrive should come from turning the amp up, but that's obviously not always possible - but surely you realise that, since you own a Hot Plate?
This is off topic but why do you own 3 spiders?
Call me Cahum.

Squier Classic Vibe 50s Strat
Epiphone AJ-10 Acoustic

Valvepower 18w
Blackheart 112 cab
you need a tube amp, any kind of tube amp and a tonebone hot british woudl get you close.
but ideally you need a marshall jcm800 or silver jubilee or vintage modern with kt66 power tubes
Member of the Schecter Hellraisers
Gear:
Esp Ltd KH-603, Schecter c-1+ and Epiphone Les Pauls
Carvin amps, Sperzel Trim-Lok, Emg active pickups only, Tonepros bridges.
Quote by shadow__666

How much money do you have to spend? If you don't have any cash, best advice I can give you is to sell those two and get an MI Audio Crunch Box - it's as close you'll get without saving for a JCM800- type amp.

This.

I'm gonna be getting the MI Audio Box for the same purpose, to get a Marshal-ish sound. It's probably the best thing for you, TS.