Can some one explain them to me? I've played them at guitar cenetr a few times with and amp but I don't think I understand them. They don't sound like acoustics, ya know? Like to me it sounds like you would need an amp still. Sorry for the stupid question, something tells me I'm going to get a obvious anwser. lol

By the ways, This is the kind of guitar I'm talking about:

I'm not even positive they're called Semi Acoustics.
Mm, that's because for the most part you DO need an amp with them.

They're called semi-hollow body guitars which means that only the sides of the guitars with the f-holes are hollow, there's a solid strip running down the middle. They are essentially like electrics in that you're going to need an amp to do anything significant with them, but some have piezo pups and that sort of deal, some just have the regular pickups. The idea is to get a bit of the acoustic tone/etc from it while still having regular electric guitar pups... A blend if you will? It's not so much an acoustic in that it doesn't generate sound through a soundhole, but the hollow sides contribute some sound, if that makes sense...

In short, yes you do need an amp.
Last edited by Zamorak at Aug 7, 2009,
Quote by Zamorak
Mm, that's because for the most part you DO need an amp with them.

They're called semi-hollow body guitars which means that only the sides of the guitars with the f-holes are hollow, there's a solid strip running down the middle. They are essentially like electrics in that you're going to need an amp to do anything significant with them, but some have piezo pups and that sort of deal, some just have the regular pickups. The idea is to get a bit of the acoustic tone/etc from it while still having regular electric guitar pups... A blend if you will? It's not so much an acoustic in that it doesn't generate sound through a soundhole, but the hollow sides contribute some sound, if that makes sense...

In short, yes you do need an amp.

I don't think I quite understand the pick up part. So basically, you get and acoustic sound but also the sound of what ever pick up you're using, right?
Sort of, it depends on what kind. There are some where they're pretty much just an acoustic with pickups, and on the otherhand it could more of an electric with hollow parts with a soundbox(s).

The idea is that you use them with an amp, and that the acoustic adds tone and warmth to your sound, and there are some where the acoustic soundmaking parts are the part being amplified.

Since with electric guitar pickups, it doesn't perse amplify the sound like a microphone does, it only picks up the vibration of the strings. So the acoustic additions here would just be adding to that vibration, which adds to the tone.

On the other hand, the acoustic guitar can have mics or piezo pickups, which go after the acoustic sound that you would get if you were plugging a regular acoustic in... If that makes sense.

Ohh and to answer your question, yes and no. There are some guitars where it blends the regular pickups with the piezo or mic, there are some where its just the electric pickups doing it. It depends on the guitar.

This might help? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semi-acoustic_guitar
Last edited by Zamorak at Aug 7, 2009,