Ive been looking at the Emience Wizard 12" speaker that is rated for "75W RMS".
Does this only mean tube amplifiers?

Thinking of putting one in a Valvestate 8080 and its 80W Solidstate
Quote by ljohn
The thing is, in a band like chickenfoot, think of the JSX as a submarine and the Marshall as a plane. No matter how good the submarine is, it might be the perfect submarine, if you need a plane, a submarine ain't gonna do it for you.
You need a higher rated speaker, or at least you can put it in but never turn your VS up too loud. Not exactly preferable to always be looking over your shoulder at the volume though.
So any suggestions on a 12" 80W RMS speaker that do 60s and 70s BLues / Rock?
Quote by ljohn
The thing is, in a band like chickenfoot, think of the JSX as a submarine and the Marshall as a plane. No matter how good the submarine is, it might be the perfect submarine, if you need a plane, a submarine ain't gonna do it for you.
Blues Rock out of a VS 8080? Good luck. Just get a decent quality speaker, like the Celestion G12K-100.
No, never go under rating with a tube amp. They put out more than their rating because it is measured at a set distortion level. Guitar tube amps usually can be driven above their rating. I prefer at least double a tube amps rating for speakers as it keeps the distortion confined to the pleasant tube type and will not kill the speakers before time. In fact my 120w tube amp drives an 800w cab and has done for many many years without a problem to either.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

It says you have an Epi Valve Jr... USe that isntead. Sorry but you're not gonna get a blues-rock tone out of a Marshall 8080

Also a 75W speaker would work in that amp. Speakers are made to handle more, that Eminence can handle up to 150W at it's peak. That 8080 is an amp that you won't push too far and it isn't the most effiencet amp ever, so it's cool!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Speakers are RMS rated the same way that amps are, meaning they can handle far more than their listed capacity (though you shouldn't run them that way for too long).

A 75W will be more than sufficient with an 80W solid state power amp.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion.

Feel free to express yours so I can make an informed judgement about how stupid you are.
Not true. A 75W amp could be measured on clean, especially if it's of British origin. Speaking to Hayden of Matamp the other day, he said that the GT1 (which is 80w) will easily push out 120+ Watts distorted.
Last edited by kh2 at Aug 7, 2009,
Ive sold my Valve Junior due to that I cant afford buying all the pedals that I need to make it sound good.

Been looking at a Valvestate 8080 for homepractice and jam with buddies.

Its cheap, loud and got reverb and a headphone jack.
Quote by ljohn
And a very unimpressive and bland sounding amp too!

I see you live in Sweden, so I can giv eyou some tips. How much is your budget? You can probably pick up a nice 15W tube amp. That's more than enough volume. I use my 18watter to gig with a band where the other guitarist has a Rocker 30 and the bassist a 300W Hartke.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Gabel

I disagree. For heavier styles it's right up there with the Ampegs and Randall SS of the market.
Quote by bartdevil_metal
I disagree. For heavier styles it's right up there with the Ampegs and Randall SS of the market.

Yes that might be true, but the TS wanted it for blues-rock which it frankly is pretty bad for.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Gabel

I see you live in Sweden, so I can giv eyou some tips. How much is your budget? You can probably pick up a nice 15W tube amp. That's more than enough volume. I use my 18watter to gig with a band where the other guitarist has a Rocker 30 and the bassist a 300W Hartke.

If i sell my Valve Junior I got $450 and the 25th ive got around $1450
Quote by ljohn
Ok, I know you're in Sweden so you can write in SEK to me. Jag är också svensk förstår du!

How much can you spend in total? Because you can get something WAY better for that price.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

If its rated at 75w RMS then it can take 75w all day without a problem and 150w for short periods. Unless you plan to keep the volume knob on 10 all the time you shouldnt really have a problem. How amps wattage is rated is not really science like it should be many times its just marketing. Like some have said in this thread some amps rated at 80w might actually be able to put out more under certain conditions. A company like behringer will be the opposite and their 120w rating is the absolute max but actually its RMS is lower.
Quote by Gabel
It says you have an Epi Valve Jr... USe that isntead. Sorry but you're not gonna get a blues-rock tone out of a Marshall 8080

Also a 75W speaker would work in that amp. Speakers are made to handle more, that Eminence can handle up to 150W at it's peak. That 8080 is an amp that you won't push too far and it isn't the most effiencet amp ever, so it's cool!
close, but a speaker rated 75w rms should be able to handle around 106 watts at it's peak.
har ungefär 13000kr efter lönen kommer men vill max spendera runt 5-6k. My max budget is 650-700 dollars.
Quote by ljohn
Quote by Zapher
har ungefär 13000kr efter lönen kommer men vill max spendera runt 5-6k. My max budget is 650-700 dollars.

Pratar svenska, men håller det på engelska.

I'd recommend a Laney VC30 for that price. They are 6000SEK at Jam and great amps. You can often find one used for cheaper. A Peavey Classic 30 would be just as good and you can probably find them used for about 4000, if not they are about 6000 new. They blows the 8080 out of the water for hat you play. Plus it has more than enough power I can tell you.

Quote by al112987
close, but a speaker rated 75w rms should be able to handle around 106 watts at it's peak.

Maybe, I just went with what I remember. The Red Fang I know can handle 60W, so I based it of that!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

I sold my VS8080 because all the pots were crap and I didn't think it was worth the cash to replace them all. And yes I did take the chassis out and clean them. YMMV
ive seen the laney but just thought it was for metal, im going for used amps
Quote by ljohn
Quote by Zapher
ive seen the laney but just thought it was for metal, im going for used amps

The VC30 is very much vintage voiced.

I'll find some for you then!
http://www.blocket.se/goteborg/Pevey_classic_30_22786130.htm
http://www.diskant.se/view.asp?db=2&id=19356

There you have two.

What's the problem with getting a new amp?
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

im a cheap son of a btch
Quote by ljohn
Quote by Zapher
im a cheap son of a btch

Ok, well if not my tip is get a Laney or Peavey. Great sounding amps and great value. Check the links I sent you...
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band