So my 170DX is serving me very well and it's hard for me to find another guitar that has the same feel as this, all the others just don't really cry out LOVE ME LOVE BUY ME BUY ME I'LL LOVE YOU BACK

But i'm wondering about new pickups

What pickups would be best for metallica / all that remains / disturbed / trivium etc (generally metal / heavy stuff) but also softer stuff like foo fighters whatever

I was thinking EMG 81/85 but i hear EMGs (or active pickups?) are not good with SS amps, I currently have a 15x cube but will be moving up to a 75w peavey vypyr for 60w peavey vypyr (tube version)
No point bothering with pickups at this stage.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
pickups wont make much difference with your amp. save the money and upgrade the amp first.
remember: a good amp makes most guitars sound good
a bad amp can make any guitar sound bad, no matter how good the guitar is.
get the amp 1st, go for a tube vyper although i`m not keen on any modelling amps, and you could do better with a valveking or similar and some stomp boxes (distortion,delay and wah are essential)

the amp will have more bearing on your tone, then consider some high powered pups after that.
I have the 81/85 combo and its great through the 15x. Not so much better than my passive Yammy than it is on my bigger rigs but still streets better than with passives, if you could find passives with such a huge tone range. What a lot of players forget about actives is that they have really good cleans (they are basically a low power pickup amplified) when you roll back the volume a bit. Crank them past about 7 and they really come alive. They are also very sensitive to tone control which allows such a wide range of sounds. Or you could leave everything on full blast and complain that they only have one sound.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Would pickups say make a difference with the 75w SS vypyr?

as i have the money for both i'm looking to do a bit of spending,
Still won't make a massive difference, far better to spend it all on an amp.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Think of an amp as steak and the pick ups as sauce, you can have the best sauce in the world but if you put it on a crappy piece of shoe leather your still not going to have a good meal.
Quote by Shabadoo
Think of an amp as steak and the pick ups as sauce, you can have the best sauce in the world but if you put it on a crappy piece of shoe leather your still not going to have a good meal.

I'd treat the guitar as the sauce and the pickups as the amount of salt in the sauce.

pickups are like the amount of herbs you put into a meal, they're not really THAT important unless you have an otherwise gormet meal.
Seriously like the others have said, focus on a great amp first and then build around that. It doesn't strictly have to be tube (tho I prefer tubes) there are tons of high quality SS amps out there Randall, old school Peavey, Marshall (not mg), Crate. most of these you can find in great condition on crags list or ebay and save 100's. being that I feel 80's and early 90's SS amps all had a better tone to them vs today's digital age.

I have Active EMG 707's in my c7 loomis and blackouts in my esp 7 string and they are more geared to my mesa triple and jcm800 as they sound best on those, But i can get some killer tones from my Solid state Crate gx-130c head from those guitars with some EQing (think cannibal corpse's the bleeding same heads they used for that album), so really its up to the sound quality of the amp over all.

What I would do in search of an amp if new was my only option is find a guitar in the shop equipped with actives (if i were dead set on actives) and try every amp within my budget be it SS or tube.
Quote by Shabadoo

Well said. Did anyone else get hungry reading that?
Quote by whencowsfart101
Well said. Did anyone else get hungry reading that?

no `cos he ruined the steak with sauce