hey guys,

In 4 months is my b-day and I want to buy either a new guitar or a new amp.
my budget will probably be like 250, but I could stretch a bit hopefully.
my gear as of now:

Roland Cube 30x
Squier strat
J&D Les paul

thanks
Marshall 50 Watt Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
What genres of music do you play?
Tim.

You have entered the Twilight Zone
Beyond this world strange things are known
Use this key, unlock the door
See what your fate might have in store
Come explore your dreams' creation
Enter this world of imagination
250 of what?

I think you should wait 4 months instead and see what you do get for your birthday.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
with 250 (usd im assuming), you could go from beginner gear to... beginner gear. wait til your next birthday mate. if you buy something now youll probably end up regretting it
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
TC Corona/Vortex/Dreamscape
Quote by TimBFMV
What genres of music do you play?

I want this guitar to be able to play metal, since I have a LP which I can use for hard rock.

also 250 euro's.
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Quote by constructbot
I want this guitar to be able to play metal, since I have a LP which I can use for hard rock.

also 250 euro's.

euros or dollars, doesnt matter, i still believe my comment above applies

400 euros, maybe then we can start talking. 250 isnt going to get you much of an upgrade at all and there arent huge tone differences in lower end gear anyway... nothing much worth mentioning anyway
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
Last edited by Bob_Smith at Aug 7, 2009,
Quote by innertom
have you thought about getting effects pedels?

no, since I heard pedals don't go well with SS amps.
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Quote by innertom
have you thought about getting effects pedels?

the cube prob has enough effects for the time being. best to save for a better amp first
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
250 Euros is about 215 GBP.

So...
You could get like 2,150 packs of Space Invaders, or perhaps save up to get something you'll really enjoy forever.

That said, one piece of kit that works well with all the transistor type amps I'm aware of (and presumably a bunch of tube amps as far as other people have said) is the BBE Sonic Maximizer. It essentially makes your amp just sound better. A hard to explain concept of signal reordering, and low and high boost (i think) knobs. So thats always cool.

I bought the 'Sonic Stomp' (stomp box version) for a mere 35 pounds used from Amazon. I got a pretty good deal, but I wouldn't be surprised if you found it near the price, they are meant to retail for something like 80-90 GBP.

Just a thought, rather than go for something like a guitar and be dissapointed when you dont like it.

If your prepared to Ebay, then you could get a very good deal, I've had a full stack, mint condition, Marshall AVT for 300 GBP, albeit not a great amp. An original Ibanez Iceman for 250 GBP. A Line 6 Pod XT Live for 130 GBP. A mint Gibson Les Paul Studio for 500. The possibilities are endless when searching used.

... I need to learn when to shut up.
Quote by Bigaxmax

So...
You could get like 2,150 packs of Space Invaders, or perhaps save up to get something you'll really enjoy forever.

That said, one piece of kit that works well with all the transistor type amps I'm aware of (and presumably a bunch of tube amps as far as other people have said) is the BBE Sonic Maximizer. It essentially makes your amp just sound better. A hard to explain concept of signal reordering, and low and high boost (i think) knobs. So thats always cool.

I bought the 'Sonic Stomp' (stomp box version) for a mere 35 pounds used from Amazon. I got a pretty good deal, but I wouldn't be surprised if you found it near the price, they are meant to retail for something like 80-90 GBP.

Just a thought, rather than go for something like a guitar and be dissapointed when you dont like it.

If your prepared to Ebay, then you could get a very good deal, I've had a full stack, mint condition, Marshall AVT for 300 GBP, albeit not a great amp. An original Ibanez Iceman for 250 GBP. A Line 6 Pod XT Live for 130 GBP. A mint Gibson Les Paul Studio for 500. The possibilities are endless when searching used.

that could definitely work for you
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
Quote by Bigaxmax

So...

thanks alot for the idea's, I had never heard of this sonic maximizer but I'll definately look into it! yea might go used too..

I also saw this guitar, the kramer striker FR424CM wich retails for 245 euro's here, is it good?
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Quote by Bob_Smith
that could definitely work for you

I may sound like a total dumbass but, what does it do and how does it work?
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Quote by constructbot
I may sound like a total dumbass but, what does it do and how does it work?

the line6 pod xt live is a multi effects pedal which can give you a reasonably wide range of tones which will get you closer to the sound your after much better than a guitar (at your price range) will
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
There's no reason for you not to be able to play metal on a les paul, it's got humbuckers right? If it does then your suit and just save the money up for something a bit better then a starters guitar if you want one or a new amp if you can afford one.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
There's no reason for you not to be able to play metal on a les paul, it's got humbuckers right? If it does then your suit and just save the money up for something a bit better then a starters guitar if you want one or a new amp if you can afford one.

i was thinking that, but for the life of me, i cant seem to work out why i didnt say it
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
Quote by Bob_Smith
the line6 pod xt live is a multi effects pedal which can give you a reasonably wide range of tones which will get you closer to the sound your after much better than a guitar (at your price range) will

I see, do I need to plug it into my pc?
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Some people say that the sonic stomp is crap and some people think of it as god.
Watch some youtubes and you should get the jist.

For me it doesnt really do ALOT but is as if i had spent an extra 70 or so pounds on the amp ive already got, if you know what i mean, mainly cuz my amp isnt a brilliant starting point for the pedal.

And if you do get the Pod XT Live, or something similar used, then do this:
1. make sure you get the manual, or download the PDF, i missed out on so much before i could be bothered to read the PDF, which is a big shame.
2. make sure the person removes their online registration (they will know what your talking about if they have done so) it just will allow you to download programs and plug your pod into your pc without it bitching that youve pretty much nicked the thing.
3. ENJOY

And nope, it CAN be plugged into the pc, to download other peoples settings and sync them into your pc. It acts as a usb soundcard, and you can play music on your pc and it will come out of your amp, and you can record using things like Audacity with the right settings. it would be very cool for you, but it is not the highest grade thing out there, just to stay aware
Last edited by Bigaxmax at Aug 7, 2009,
Quote by constructbot
I see, do I need to plug it into my pc?

you can, to download various things that im not too sure about - tone presets etc i think

and you only need to plug your guitar into it, then into a powered speaker (ie your amp). it is a multi effects pedal after all
Pedal GAS?
Empress Heavy
ISP Dec of some sort
Keeley Katana
That money will get you a Vintage Metal-Axe if you really want another cheap guitar. But a Les Paul should be well capable of covering the metal sounds unless its a very poor one.
If you are thinking about a guitar with a good trem, you really need to save a lot more. At least double what you have and expect to need a pickup upgrade soon after. I suppose the Cort KX-5FR is among the best options as the trem is good, pups are okay and build quality is miles above what you have. £295 plus shipping from uk for £15 from www.richardsguitars.co.uk
Sell the Squier!
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Will a Line6 pod xt live sound good on my cube, cuz it's like 370 new and 250 used here.
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Quote by Lurcher
That money will get you a Vintage Metal-Axe if you really want another cheap guitar. But a Les Paul should be well capable of covering the metal sounds unless its a very poor one.
If you are thinking about a guitar with a good trem, you really need to save a lot more. At least double what you have and expect to need a pickup upgrade soon after. I suppose the Cort KX-5FR is among the best options as the trem is good, pups are okay and build quality is miles above what you have. £295 plus shipping from uk for £15 from www.richardsguitars.co.uk
Sell the Squier!

It's not that the les paul isn't good, in fact I really like it, but I want something with a fast neck and preferably a floyd, I know I won't get both for the money I have to offer. If there are any amp suggestions I would happily listen to them.

Edit: also I think the cort will cost me alot more since they don't sell the floyd one here so I would have to ship it from the UK wich would cost me alot more.
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD
JOYO Vintage OD
Behringer EQ700
Last edited by constructbot at Aug 7, 2009,
Quote by constructbot
It's not that the les paul isn't good, in fact I really like it, but I want something with a fast neck and preferably a floyd, I know I won't get both for the money I have to offer. If there are any amp suggestions I would happily listen to them.

Edit: also I think the cort will cost me alot more since they don't sell the floyd one here so I would have to ship it from the UK wich would cost me alot more.

If you want something that has that either you'll need to go with an unknown brand or go for a second hand guitar.
okay, If I would sell my cube ( getting 120 for it?) I would have 370,
what's a nice amp for that cash?
Marshall 1960AV
Fender Custom Shop Strat
Ibanez Prestige RG3120
Strymon Mobius
TC Polytune
TC Flashback
Mad Professor LGW
Fulltone OCD