Recently my mate convinced me to play for his deathcore/deathmetal band
(influences like White chapel, the Red Shore)
But i need to start writing next week,
the genre is really complicated, and ive been told, because ive only been playing for twoish years, to just play what sounds good, not what theory limits let me,
need some help, stick with theory to guide my way, or play what sounds good?
Cheers ^_^
Mitch,
NOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM
Schecter Damien special. ♥
Pod X3 Live. ♥
^^^, One winning combination.
For deathcore, all you need is drop-tuned chugs, diminshed riffs and tritone chords and you're set to go.

Edit: I'm being completely serious.

Edit2: That falls under 'diminished riffs'
V
Check out my band Disturbed
Last edited by StewieSwan at Aug 7, 2009,
^ You forgot the minor third thrills. So get that pinky working. Other than that, Stewie is totally right.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Well, it depends on what sort of deathcore you want. If it's whitechapel style then I'd say you should be going primarily for chromatic breakdown riffs. A lot of tremelo picking is also goo; mainly in diminished keys though (ie, you have your root note, then the note up from that is a minor third, then another minor third on top of that etc). You might also consider using Phrygian dominant for the really typical "brutal" sort of sound.

Technique-wise, most (good) deathcore uses a lot of "technical elements". I think what you should include is a bit of fast, perhaps palm muted sweep picking (again in diminished keys), as well as really odd time signatures. Breakdowns work especially well with changing time signatures, and a bit of dissonance in the background (maybe a flat second (ie one two notes only a semitone apart) ringing out in the background). You need to keep breakdowns interesting; straight 4/4 open note chugging is overdone and quite boring.

In summary:
* Diminished keys for riffs, lots of tremelo picking.
* Keep the breakdowns interesting and unpredictable with wierd/changing time signatures and perhaps some chromatic or diminished chugging. Dissonance is also effective (try the song This Is Exile to see what I mean).
* Use sweeps. They sound great in deathcore. Tapping goes well too.

Hope this helps buddy. For inspiration and such, maybe check out Beneath the Massacre and Born of Osiris.

Good luck.
Peoples views of metalcore vary so much. I would say metalcore bands are bands like Johnny Truant, Sky Eats Airplane, and bands that are semi progressive with no set song structure, usually pretty heavy and unforgiving and have fast tempo parts with breakdowns and unconventional chords etc. A real mash up of stuff incorporating elements of hardcore punk and extreme metal.

Here are 4 songs I think are metalcore.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SunFX7NU7B8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgZWEAhj3Uo&feature=fvw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0qxeqOFeXY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Summd63YPgQ

When you write anything you shouldn't let things limit you. Just because the influences are in that genre doesn't mean you have to stick to it. I mean, it would help if you were given lyrics and song ideas or meanings. Play whatever the hell you want, if it sounds good to you, even better. It's unfair to invite you into a band limiting you to a genre. If everyone has similar influences then write what you guys enjoy playing and what you can see getting a crowd going or making the hairs stand up on the back of your neck. Play what sounds good.

Ash.

****, didnt realise you deathcore, I thought you said metalcore.
Last edited by ashcook123 at Aug 7, 2009,
I play in a deathcore inspired band, and I use all the stuff previously mentioned. Especially the tremolo picking.
Just write whatever sounds good....its not a composition for a music school or anything.
Quote by Green_Jelly
^ You forgot the minor third thrills. So get that pinky working. Other than that, Stewie is totally right.

Thats what A "Diminished" Interval is.

Tritones, Diminished intervals, And octaves. Also, Going Non-linear chromatic in places can make some cool stuff. Like the 6-7-8 in this riff.
A------7---8--7-------6--7--6-------7-8-7-
E-5-5----5--5---4-4---4-4-----5-5--5-5--
Quote by fellowguitarist
not what theory limits let me

Theory 101: The ear is ALWAYS right. Theory doesn't tell you what to play and it doesn't limit you, if you think it does you just don't know enough.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
'Technique-wise, most (good) deathcore uses a lot of "technical elements". I think what you should include is a bit of fast, perhaps palm muted sweep picking (again in diminished keys), as well as really odd time signatures'

^THIS, especially playing similar stuff to the Red Shore, theyre badass
steal riffs from santana, drop your 7 string down to A, get really high, watch the exorcist, and record the entire time. thats what i do...