Well, I've been using my rig with an added speaker cab, so my set up is like this: Fender MIM P-Bass Special (strung with Rotosounds 66s) -> Dunlop Bass Crybaby -> Ashdown LoMenzo Hyperdrive (set to push my amp more) -> Aria Chorus -> Hartke LH500 -> Marshall VBC 412 & JCM 800 (Bass Series)
And it seems that this set up sounds abit... flabby so to speak, it doesn't cut through the two guitarists & loud drummer as much as I'd like. Now I have the limiter & bright switch turned on & the amp EQed like this: Bass - 2, Mids - 10, Treble - 4.5 (the mids are cranked so much because the amp was designed with a mid-scooped tone)
I'm thinking that it might help if I replace one of the 412 cabs with a 410, or something with a horn in it. It is always an option for me to take my Marshall (the VBC 412) to be modded with a horn.
wich would be the best option of these three?

1. Through an EQ pedal in the loop & EQ differently

2. Replace one of the 412s with a 410

3. Mod one of the Marshall cabs with a horn

Thanks in advance & any other suggestions are welcome.
This might seem silly, but maybe cut back on the mids a little and add some of the bass back in? If you're trying to fight for mids against 2 guitarists and a drummer it's not going to work so well with a bass, i'd guess. Does one/both of the guitarists have a bass-heavy tone at all?
Last edited by pete-c at Aug 7, 2009,
^this, personally i enjoy my mids higher up, but if you don't throw in some bass you wont be heard at all, put your mids closer to 5 or 6 and mabey even turn the treble down and you should be able to get a nice midrange tone.
yeah put the mids to mid, treble at 3 or 4, maybe lower, and bass around 7 or 8 ish... if you have a presence knob, turn that all the way up
either way its bad - i dont know animals
Ill swap you my ashdown mag 600 for your lh500 if you pay postage. All your problems will be solved.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Turn your bass up. Be felt, not heard.

Ibanez SR506BM
Ashdown Little Giant 1000w
Peavey TVX 115+410
A big ass upright

Is The JCM the 18" speaker one, if so it is one of the worst cabs out their, and might be your problem. Ill also say that marshall make pretty **** cabs, and generally a square enclosed 2x10 bass cab fails, and i have to say yours isnt a great one. I honestly say get some new cabs. A 4x10 would be good, a decent 2x12 would also be good. I can easily understand how you hear your sound as flabby.
Tip dont get marchall cabs unless you have a proper good Marshall valve head.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Yea, turn your bass up to at least 4 or 5.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by fatgoogle
Is The JCM the 18" speaker one, if so it is one of the worst cabs out their, and might be your problem. Ill also say that marshall make pretty **** cabs, and generally a square enclosed 2x10 bass cab fails, and i have to say yours isnt a great one. I honestly say get some new cabs. A 4x10 would be good, a decent 2x12 would also be good. I can easily understand how you hear your sound as flabby.
Tip dont get marchall cabs unless you have a proper good Marshall valve head.

The Marshall cab that I own (the VBC 412, it's 4x12) is pretty awesome & I got it pretty damn cheap. But the JCM... I don't have a clue what's in it, it's just the amp the studio keeps in there & I was using it to push more air during practice. I'll give using just my 412 a go next practice.
Is it a big speaker bigger than a 12, measure it sure.

Maybe raise the 4x12 up to ear level.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
How do you have your bass set, and where is your right hand when playing?

Moving your right hand to the bridge and turning up the tone knob should both help you cut through a bit more, although it may require some getting used to if, like me, tone is down as standard and right hand is over the fretboard.

You could always try playing with a pick. Terms and Conditions may apply.
Attendez la creme!
"Harry dear, its an inaminate object"

"YOU'RE AN INANIMATE OBJECT!"
I find that I can hear myself much better in a band setting now I have switched to flats than I ever could using Roto 66s.
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by ScottB.
I find that I can hear myself much better in a band setting now I have switched to flats than I ever could using Roto 66s.

I'm planning to swap to flats (partially to try them out, partially due to my rabid Geezer Butler & Steve Harris fanboyism), but I'm pretty much flat broke ATM
Plenty of midrange to be heard, and bass to be felt. And lots of treble helps your attack cut through. Basically, get a flat EQ, and then see what you need.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1