Well I've been playing since March, and for the past few weeks I've put aside scales, and actually learning to play the guitar for some songs. Now I thought I'd learn a full song or 2, but now have ended up learning a few riffs (Master of Puppets, Pull the Plug.. although Master was kinda to hard.. :/) and the most productive thing I did was learn how to do pinch harmonics. I just need to practice getting them100% of the time. Atm its about 60% of everytime I try.

Anyways, I was thinking, seeing as I'm taking Music for GCSE next year,shall I just screw learning songs for now(because its failing a bit) and just practice on scales, and techniquey type stuff?(As in the stuff on justinguitar, like the Major scale, etc). Will this increase my playing aiblity more than just learning songs? Also, I know the pentatonic minor, but what can I do/practice to solo with them efficently? Like backing tracks? If so, can you guys give me some good backing tracks to solo over, if this is a good method.

When I learn the major scale, I'll do the techniques as said on justinguitar, but should I do the backing track solo type thing as well? Will this help?

So basically would learning scales etc progress me faster in my playing than just songs? And how would I practice these scales?

If this is the right thing to do,after I've got a good grasp of scales, then should I return to songs?

Sorry, I'm in need of guidance..
Last edited by Lollage123 at Aug 7, 2009,
Quote by Casketcreep
Get yourself a nice book on theory.
Not even guitar theory... just as long as you understand it.
It'll make you a hell of a lot better on guitar in the long run.

I was planning on doing that anyway, but I'm thinking more on now than later.
Quote by Lollage123

If this is the right thing to do,after I've got a good grasp of scales, then should I return to songs?

Focus on your technique and theory but at the same time don't go head on with it all, it helps to relax and play some songs as well.
Don't get ahead of yourself.
I've played with a alot of guitarists who assume they are better than me because they can solo well etc, but then it turns out they know nothing about their instrument theory wise.

So you should build up your scale and chord knowledge, then try the more complicated techniques and songs.
when looking at tab for a song look at what is actually being played and what it sounds like. then make what you see on paper fit into it`s relevant scale, (granted that some composers with shift a note in a scale to add curiosity or flavour. but what you should be able to do is say that the tab is using scale X in the key of Y. this will force you to learn your scales, theory and make learning a song easier.

learning to read musical score also helps.