I was thinking of Getting a Gibson SG Special Faded in Worn Brown. I was wondering if it was a good guitar, or if it was just overrated because it is a Gibson. I have never owned an SG, but right now I have an Epiphone Les Paul Goldtop. I mostly Play Punk Rock and Hardcore. Does anybody know if the SG is good for that genre of music? Seeing as I'm only 12, I don't have much money, but I could Probably make $1000 fast Enough.
they are good guitars
but try a few theres a few bad ones and a few good ones
gibsons qc is very erratic
GEAR
94 Fender Stratocaster Plus
02 Gibson Les Paul Special (modded)
Orange AD-30 Combo

The SG Thread pwns your thread.
Just get yourself a SG Standard - its better

Its like 1999$
Last edited by sjcronberg21 at Aug 7, 2009,
OK, I might go to Daddy's Junky Music next week.
=====================================
Guitars:

1994 Epiphone Les Paul Standard

1996 Squier Musicmaster Bass

1980 Gibson Sonex 180 Deluxe
Quote by sjcronberg21
Just get yourself a SG Standard - its better

Its like 1999$

More like $1199.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I played a special Faded SG and Les Paul in Guitar Center because they had them on sale for $550 when I was in there and I almost like it more than the standard. The feel is better and it is more rough and raw. Especially the Les Paul, the worn brown Les Paul is ****ing orgasmic. So in other words, as long as you get into a shop and play one, they are very good.
I have one and I like it alot. Do try out different ones though, I got a really nice neck but the setup was awful so after a nice setup she was a champ. I also swapped out the pickups for some nicer ones.

Check out craigslist though I've been seeing standards for $6-900 lately and fadeds for $4-600.
"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo."
Special and Studio models are alright for the money so long as you hunt around and make sure you get a good one. Lots of bad ones come out though.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
for punk rock and hardcore i might suggest single coils or even p90-s the sg is alright but ive never been partial to it, i played it once and it plays just like a lp on the neck cept alot lighter on the bottom end seeing as its not a fat Biotch. It gives a really good classic rock tone
~Defiant~
Quote by Aurex
for punk rock and hardcore i might suggest single coils or even p90-s the sg is alright but ive never been partial to it, i played it once and it plays just like a lp on the neck cept alot lighter on the bottom end seeing as its not a fat Biotch. It gives a really good classic rock tone

punk rock and hardcore single coils? show me some punk/hardcore guitarists that use single coil please.
Quote by Mayonaise 812
punk rock and hardcore single coils? show me some punk/hardcore guitarists that use single coil please.

Well for starters, Johnny Ramone had his guitar fixed so that only the single coil pickup worked. (He had one single coil, and one mini humbucker). But anymays, I do like Humbuckers more. East Bay Ray used single coils also.
=====================================
Guitars:

1994 Epiphone Les Paul Standard

1996 Squier Musicmaster Bass

1980 Gibson Sonex 180 Deluxe
Last edited by socialdrules at Aug 16, 2009,
Quote by socialdrules
I was thinking of Getting a Gibson SG Special Faded in Worn Brown. I was wondering if it was a good guitar, or if it was just overrated because it is a Gibson. I have never owned an SG, but right now I have an Epiphone Les Paul Goldtop. I mostly Play Punk Rock and Hardcore. Does anybody know if the SG is good for that genre of music? Seeing as I'm only 12, I don't have much money, but I could Probably make $1000 fast Enough.

Just cuz I'm a nice person, I won't report.
Quote by Kensai
Happy birthday

Quote by TSmitty6
is it me or does the black kids head look like a bong, and the girl behind him just took a hit and is zonked out?
Quote by Nikolayyyy
report for what lmao?

Hafta be 13 to join.

Meh, whatever. I was 12 when I joined.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I wish i could have made 1000 dollars when i was 12... My parents made me get a job because they wouldn't even buy me a pack of gum..... They dont even pay me for chores... But seeing as i have a job and still cant manage to save up to 1000 bucks i guess it still doesnt matter..
wuts up with all the reportations on this site? in bmx forum nobody ever gets reported for anything. ever.
Quote by sir awesome
wuts up with all the reportations on this site? in bmx forum nobody ever gets reported for anything. ever.

Were all jealous and pissed off losers. Thats why were on this site and not actually practicing guitar. =D

I dont get the reporting either really. Its kinda dumb. But theres a lot of mods and stuff. My first couple threads were reported and closed and it kinda pissed me off. so i guess they report because they were reported. Like seniors beat up freshman because they were beat up as freshman.
lol yeah everyone on this site crys to mods when someone calls them stupid or some other kiddish thing.
I have the LP Special Faded DC, and I really like it. It has two P90's, the double cutaway, and doesn't have a maple top, so I guess it's not really much like a normal LP at all. I also played an SG Special Faded while I was shopping, but didn't really like it much.

From what I've read around here, the Specials can be a bit of a gamble in terms of build quality. If you can, test a few out rather than just one. And if you find one that you love, buy that particular one, not a random different one from a box out the back; and don't order one online.