Hello all, my name is Eoin, I'm 18 and I have a little question

I've been playing acoustic for close to a year now, and picked up a cheap enough Electric guitar, a Strat knockoff. Here is a link to the item I bought

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Elevation-Full-Size-Electric-Guitar-Black-Amplifier_W0QQitemZ220456691088QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item33543e2590&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Same as that except with no amp. I bought an amp in my local music store here for 50 euro, it is an Artec make, if anyone is familiar with that. It is an Artec GP-10

http://www.waltons.ie/Product/View.aspx?id=11561

Now, I don't know if it's just me as a player or my gear, but I can't seem to take enjoyment in playing my electric. I've been told it's just my cheap gear and stuff that is giving me no motivation, and that I should invest in some better gear. When I play I usually just get a bad sound and just don't feel like playing

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
You need to work on your technique. Don't forget that with acoustics you don't have to do all the extra muting crap that you need to do with electrics. You probably have tons of string noise ringing out which is making it sound like garbage.

Aside from that, lots of people just prefer acoustic. Nothing wrong with that.
I doubt your gear is the problem.
If you have the opportunity to play some more expensive gear at a store or friend's house or whatnot, go for it. You'll be able to tell pretty quickly whether it inspires you to play more. As Drew said, sometimes people just don't like electric. There's nothing wrong with that. I've been playing for 13-14 years now, and I go through phases where I like nothing but clean electric, and then I'll put that down and play nothing but acoustic for a long time, and then I'll dust off the electric and play nothing but dirty blues. So you may not like electric now, but you might find yourself going back to it at some point in the future.
Hi, I'm Peter
Last edited by Dirk Gently at Aug 7, 2009,
Yeah it's just a little cheapish knock off guitar and crappy amp, yeah there is some ringing, I thought of getting new strings but then I thought why. What's strange is that my g string sounds like it's always out of tune :S

For example if I play this riff

----------------|------------------|------------|
------0-------0-|------0-----------|------------|
----4-------5---|----7-------0-----|--0-----0---|
--2-------3-----|--5-------4-------|2-----------|
0-------0-------|0-------5-----5s3-|----3s5-----|

the open G totally ruins the sound, since it's meant to blend in but it makes this weird out of tune noise and sounds like crap when I play it, but its in tune? I dunno what to do. And I'm having trouble with muting too, dunno why, I think and hope it's just me, not my gear etc
The advice you have is spot on. Poor guitar means hard to play and even harder to learn. Multiply that by poor sound from a less-than-ideal amp and you compound the problem. That is why anyone on here would steer you away from starter-pack type gear.
So you have a couple of choices. You can get what you can for that and get better kit for around 300 euro (I sense you think in euro). The other possibility is to set the guitar up better (it is possible with some cheap strats to get quite a playable instrument) and either buy a Roland Cube/Peavey Vypyr amp or a low cost multi-effects unit with headphone out. Great for personal practice but you have to like headphone playing.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Ramza126
Yeah it's just a little cheapish knock off guitar and crappy amp, yeah there is some ringing, I thought of getting new strings but then I thought why. What's strange is that my g string sounds like it's always out of tune :S

the open G totally ruins the sound, since it's meant to blend in but it makes this weird out of tune noise and sounds like crap when I play it, but its in tune? I dunno what to do. And I'm having trouble with muting too, dunno why, I think and hope it's just me, not my gear etc

Go to the electric guitar forum, and post that question in the "Ultimate Set Up" thread. It sounds like your guitar needs to be intonated. Also like was said before I go in phases of what I enjoy playing. Just keep switching it up to keep things fresh. The first few months (or years in my case) of guitar are kind of ****ty, you just have to get past the hump.

Quote by Lurcher
The advice you have is spot on. Poor guitar means hard to play and even harder to learn. Multiply that by poor sound from a less-than-ideal amp and you compound the problem. That is why anyone on here would steer you away from starter-pack type gear.
So you have a couple of choices. You can get what you can for that and get better kit for around 300 euro (I sense you think in euro). The other possibility is to set the guitar up better (it is possible with some cheap strats to get quite a playable instrument) and either buy a Roland Cube/Peavey Vypyr amp or a low cost multi-effects unit with headphone out. Great for personal practice but you have to like headphone playing.

I don't think there is any reason he needs a new guitar or amp. Sure it would be nice, and I'm sure if he could he would, but is it necessary? Not at all.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Aug 7, 2009,
Quote by Ramza126

With all that distortion, even one string barely vibrating is going to clash with everything else you're playing and make it sound like crap. Do yourself a favor and read/watch some muting lessons on UG or YouTube and I think you'll notice a big difference. The good news is, coming from acoustic, you'll have a jump on some electric players as you won't have to press as hard on the strings.

As for the G string, tons of guitars have that problem (the G won't tune properly) but it shouldn't be THAT bad. Just keep fiddling with the tuner.
Yeah, set up first. I gotta esteban master class when i first started playing and thought it was a piece a crap. Got a setup and martin strings put on it for $25 and it was a world of difference. i still take that guitar when camping and just beater type stuff. it's actually worth what I paid for it now.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD