I want to have two signal chains running into my valvekings two inputs. I want to have the 2 chains separated by an A/B switcher. I want the A line from my switcher to go into an overdrive then wah into the first input of my amp. Then I want the B line to go to a chorus and delay into the 2nd input of my amp. I want this so I can keep all of my pedals on all the time, and when I switch to my amps clean channel all I have to do is press the Selector switch and my delay and chorus are on, then when I switch back to my distortion channel, I press the A/B and have my overdrive back on and they pedals never interfere with the other channels. Will using my amps 2 inputs like this work fine?
the delay and chorus should be in your fx loop. Unless you really like how it sounds in front of the amp...
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Quote by sg622
the delay and chorus should be in your fx loop. Unless you really like how it sounds in front of the amp...

I know what you mean, but this is really all for convenience. I don't really use them except for my cleans and with that I'm fine with them in front of the amp. I want to be able to leave them on always, and then with the A/B switcher have them going to the amp and not the overdrive. I'm really just asking if I can use the 2 inputs of the amp like this?
well i say try it man...

you know if you use both simultaniously you get the low gain inputs for both

you know in this situation i guess you'd get some hum most definately... when you turn the B chain the distortion and wah arent bypassed, they just dont have any input signal... that doesnt mean they lose any output signal... and they can catch up some nosie (even though i aint sure)

but you can do the following.. like spilt the signal with a cable adapter or Y cable instead of the AB switcher... and the END-Jacks of both chains (like the jack that go to the Amp inpuit 1 and 2) connect to the A/B switcher... A>>amp1 B>>amp2 and the only out put take to either of the inputs of your amp..
this way you can use wether the Hi gain or low gain.. and also when the One channel is selected the other one is muted...
Sometimes amps with two inputs are wired out-of-phase, or in such a way that only input can have a jack plugged in at once. No idea about the VK, but just make sure you check before spending cash on an A/B box!
having both inputs plugged in is a quick trick for more clarity in the VK actually. Often called the "dummy jack"
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Quote by vigenharutyunya
well i say try it man...

you know if you use both simultaniously you get the low gain inputs for both

you know in this situation i guess you'd get some hum most definately... when you turn the B chain the distortion and wah arent bypassed, they just dont have any input signal... that doesnt mean they lose any output signal... and they can catch up some nosie (even though i aint sure)

but you can do the following.. like spilt the signal with a cable adapter or Y cable instead of the AB switcher... and the END-Jacks of both chains (like the jack that go to the Amp inpuit 1 and 2) connect to the A/B switcher... A>>amp1 B>>amp2 and the only out put take to either of the inputs of your amp..
this way you can use wether the Hi gain or low gain.. and also when the One channel is selected the other one is muted...

I think I understand what you're saying, split the signal before I get to the two seperate signal chains, and from there run the two into the a/b box. Where can I get something that will split my signal like that?

Edit: ok I've found Y cables for sell, do you lose a lot of tone by using these?
Last edited by Beebo at Aug 7, 2009,
Bumping this to ask a new question, going by vigenharutyunya's advice I made a new setup showing how I could do it (thanks a lot for the idea man I think it'll work better) but I wanted to know if using the Y splitter cable will make me lose a lot of tone or any at all? If so, would using some kind of booster pedal help to prevent that? That's a dynacomp right before the signal splits just for the record. But yeah can anyone answer that for me I'd be most appreciative.

just buy a looper pedal like the Boss LS 2 or the radial Loopbone
Quote by Sguit
just buy a looper pedal like the Boss LS 2 or the radial Loopbone

My only problem with the LS 2 is that it doesn't have a way to play both at the same time in case I ever feel the need to unless I'm mistaken.

Edit: Well after looking into it, I think I can deal with that because I didn't realize the Boss did exactly what I needed to, plus it's cheaper than the Whirlwind line selector I was going to buy. I just wish there was an easier way to use both A+B at the same time without having to bend over to select it. But either way thanks for the heads up I should have researched it further from the beginning.
Last edited by Beebo at Aug 11, 2009,
Well...that one's even better haha. I really appreciate it man, between these different pedals you showed I'll definitely be able to get this set up just like I need too.