if you had a tube amp yeah but not with a solid state amp like your mg
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
active pickups are not high output, they are low output with a preamp. With a solid state amp most times results in solid state clipping, which depending on the person can be good or bad.
Quote by Ghold125
active pickups are not high output, they are low output with a preamp. With a solid state amp most times results in solid state clipping, which depending on the person can be good or bad.

In layman's terms?
I won't be using amp distortion, only pedals. The MG's OD is rubbish.
You will probably get better distortion through a pedal than the MG has. But still not very nice. Everything about the MG is designed for beginners who don't know what a good sound is when they haul their folks to the shop to get a starter pack. Alright, the cleans are better than starter pack amps can do but still not great.
I pick up my guitar and play
Just like Yesterday

T C Ellis Series 2 LP w/Skatterbrane Quiescence pups
Cort EVL-K6
Yamaha RGX211 modded
H&S Electric 12-string
Shaftsbury Ricki 4001
'84 Fender Yale
Roland Cube 15x

Quote by Lurcher
You will probably get better distortion through a pedal than the MG has. But still not very nice. Everything about the MG is designed for beginners who don't know what a good sound is when they haul their folks to the shop to get a starter pack. Alright, the cleans are better than starter pack amps can do but still not great.

Which is why I bought a pedal. I took an MG cause it's the cheapest amp I ould find which sounded OK. The only other option was a locally made amp with 6 inch speakers. Took the lesser evil. Spent the bulk of my money on the pedal and guitar. Didnt have enough left over for a cube 30, so got this.
tbh you should have got the better amp.

the pedal wont make the mg sound any better and the emgs wont make a bit of difference.
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by rancidryan
tbh you should have got the better amp.

the pedal wont make the mg sound any better and the emgs wont make a bit of difference.

No dostortion footswitch on cube30. I need to switch between cleans and dist a lot. And ack to the topic, will active pups do anything for pedals?
EDIT:^ Reason why it won't make a difference?
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Aug 7, 2009,
Pedals generally need a strong foundation to increase the quality of the sound. The same pedal doesn't sound the same on two different amps. It'd be like trying to build a skyscraper on top of trailer. The skyscraper could be absolutely amazing, but it's still gonna gonna suffer from it's Trailer foundation. (amp = trailer, pickups/pedal = skyscraper....)

However, running active pickups shouldn't be an issue, because you probably already have solid state clipping and it's not like a little bit more would hurt if that's the kind of sound you dig .
Gear:
-Saga strat, modded with guitarfetish p/ups
-epiphone abomination (don't know what it's called) with scalloped neck and power rails gfs p/up
-Fender Twin Reverb
-Blues screamer pedal
-Boss Turbo overdrive
TBH you shouldn't even have actives unless you have a tube amp. Actives were designed to drive the front-end (preamp section) of tube amps. I've played 'em thru SS amps, but they're much better suited to tube amps. If your only source of OD/Distortion is a pedal, you'd prolly want low-DCR (resistance) pups, since low-DCR pups aren't as prone to noise.

My two cents.
Quote by Invader Jim
TBH you shouldn't even have actives unless you have a tube amp. Actives were designed to drive the front-end (preamp section) of tube amps. I've played 'em thru SS amps, but they're much better suited to tube amps. If your only source of OD/Distortion is a pedal, you'd prolly want low-DCR (resistance) pups, since low-DCR pups aren't as prone to noise.

My two cents.

Examples of low DCR pups?
I believe any pickup that uses alnico x<5 pickups where x is a number between 1 and 3
Pain is an illusion.
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz Combo
Pitchblack | Bad Horsie 2 | DS-1 | BF-2 | ISP Decimator | DD6
YouTube Channel
Actives pickups are typically less noisy, but the muddyness you mention could well be (and probably is) down to your amp. Shielding your current guitars would also reduce the noise.

Might be irrelavent to you, but the cost of a decent set of active pickups is much larger than the cost of your amp. And your probably not asking for this, but I'd say get a new amp way before you even think of replacing pickups. Your current amp is, as biased as I am, really awful.
Last edited by supergerbil at Aug 8, 2009,
Quote by supergerbil
Actives pickups are typically less noisy, but the muddyness you mention could well be (and probably is) down to your amp. Shielding your current guitars would also reduce the noise.

Might be irrelavent to you, but the cost of a decent set of active pickups is much larger than the cost of your amp...

Actually.....no. The amp cost USD 220, thanks to wierd import laws. My ESP LTD MH-100QM set me back by USD 560. My entire rig put together came close to USD 1000. On the other hand, an EMG 85/81 combo costs USD 260. Not that much more than the amp.
Active pickups need a battery... how's the battery?

You can affect the sound of those pickups by adjusting their height... Have you checked to see how they are set up? Too close to the strings they get too loud and muddy and too far they get quite and much less defined.

Have you experimented with the volume knob on the guitar? Rolling off a bit on the volume helps some too...

And slightly off topic:

Do you know what unity gain is?
Quote by irnmadn88
Active pickups need a battery... how's the battery?

You can affect the sound of those pickups by adjusting their height... Have you checked to see how they are set up? Too close to the strings they get too loud and muddy and too far they get quite and much less defined.

Have you experimented with the volume knob on the guitar? Rolling off a bit on the volume helps some too...

And slightly off topic:

Do you know what unity gain is?

Yeah, fiddledwith the heights. Power chords are distinct, and so long as gain is maxed, palm mutes are good. Prolem is the sound of the pick scraping against the strings, also if I dont mute the3 thickest strings when not playing them, I get enough feedback to wake the dead.
EDIT: It doesnt have a battery. Passive ESP LH 150 humbuckers. want to switch them for an EMG 81/85 combo with 18v mod.
And no this is the first time I've heard of unity gain.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Aug 8, 2009,