Basicly when i do pull ups on my floyd rose it only goes back about 1/4th of a CM. I am using drop C tuning with Gauge 11strings, how do i get it to pull right back, i was thinking of lower gauge strings.
Guitar - Music Man John Petrucci X

Amp - Ronald cube 60, willing be getting a Mark V soon
Sounds like the combined dynamics of dropped C tuning and heavy string gauge really are doing on a number on that trem- is it a real Floyd Rose or a Licensed varient? I'd go back up to standard and see how it works there...

if that doesn't work I'd take it to a tech- something about that setup just doesnt seem right
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
Quote by Richmanofaction
Sounds like the combined dynamics of dropped C tuning and heavy string gauge really are doing on a number on that trem- is it a real Floyd Rose or a Licensed varient? I'd go back up to standard and see how it works there...

if that doesn't work I'd take it to a tech- something about that setup just doesnt seem right

Licensed ESP LTD Basicly everytime i pull back it feels like my strings are gona snap

Quote by sgany
Licensed ESP LTD Basicly everytime i pull back it feels like my strings are gona snap

Don't pull back on a cheaper trem. I have a Licensed Floyd on my Import Jackson, and pulling back was always a bad idea. On the more expensive Jackson with the real Floyd Rose it just feels better and more secure. You will snap a string (probably the G) if you abuse a licensed trem too much, plus your tuning will go out of whack...since youre in dropped C I dunno how much worse it can get

haha sorry, couldnt help myself
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
Quote by Phat Stud 55
You could loosen the screws in the back that control the tension of the springs, right now it sounds like the bridge is too close to the body.

It looks balanced atm tension wise

if it only moves back partially it's definitely not balanced tension-wise. It's supposed to be paralell with the body when up to tune and all that i assume you know. if it only drops back 1 4th of a cm, that means that the strings are loosing tension. check your tuners/locking nut ect for slips, and the spring tension in the back of the cavity.
Would pictures of floyd parts help?

I guarantee your bridge is not level and that is why it won't pull back anymore.

You need to loosen the spring tension and add more tension to the strings so it pulls the bridge up some.
Quote by srob7001
I guarantee your bridge is not level and that is why it won't pull back anymore.

You need to loosen the spring tension and add more tension to the strings so it pulls the bridge up some.

How do i add more tension to the strings without tuning higher?

It won't tune it higher if you loosen the springs.

Loosen the springs and start tightening the tunners (just a little at a time).

With a floyde if you tighten one string another loosens a little so it won't all the sudden by in E standard.

Turn all tunners a little until bridge is pulled up to the proper level, then re tune the strings. You may need to adjust the springs more to get it right. It may take you some time but it can be done.

Once you do it once and figure it all out it will be very easy for you next time
Not going back all the way is one of two problems.

If the bridge was correctly set up (Parallel etc.) Then either the Knife-edges are dulled or you need to lube the trem posts.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by biga29
Not going back all the way is one of two problems.

If the bridge was correctly set up (Parallel etc.) Then either the Knife-edges are dulled or you need to lube the trem posts.

How do i check if the Knife-edges are dulled and what do i use to lube trem posts?

Quote by sgany
How do i check if the Knife-edges are dulled and what do i use to lube trem posts?

I'm not really sure how you check if they're dull.

To lube the trem posts just put some type of lube on a q tip, hold it to the place on the post that touches the bridge, And while someone dumps the bridge, slightly turn the trem post until he lube is all the way around the post.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Quote by biga29

I'm not really sure how you check if they're dull.

To lube the trem posts just put some type of lube on a q tip, hold it to the place on the post that touches the bridge, And while someone dumps the bridge, slightly turn the trem post until he lube is all the way around the post.

Tbh i don't think its something to do with the trem itself more of the strings it feels that way

you know pictures would really help, of the floyd at level and the springs in the back we could figure it out in 30 seconds if we had that
~Defiant~
Quote by sgany
Tbh i don't think its something to do with the trem itself more of the strings it feels that way

I'm pretty sure strings wouldn't do that.
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Just off the first pic its tipped back too far, I dont know why you have so many springs 3 seem to work just fine, The first locking nut is crooked.

Reset up your FR. I would suggest this method it makes setup not seem as hard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPCtZN80L64
Last edited by DimeLvR at Aug 8, 2009,