I"m thinking of changing the pickups in one of my guitars and I was just wondering how much a difference do new pickups make. Is it a small difference such as turning the EQ knob a little to the left, or is it a big difference as in changing amps all together. Yes I know there's lot of pickups out there with different sounds. But I'm talking in general here, how much of a difference will any pickup make in a sound?

Thanks UG, rock on.
Quote by Phat Stud 55
I"m thinking of changing the pickups in one of my guitars and I was just wondering how much a difference do new pickups make. Is it a small difference such as turning the EQ knob a little to the left, or is it a big difference as in changing amps all together. Yes I know there's lot of pickups out there with different sounds. But I'm talking in general here, how much of a difference will any pickup make in a sound?

Thanks UG, rock on.

Pickup changes are huge. Depends on what you do though...are you replacing your "hot" bridge pup with something more extreme like an active EMG or Duncan...or replacing a single coil in the neck position? What type of guitar do you have and what type of pups are looking into- also what type of music do you play and what amp is all this running through?
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL
Well the one I'm wanting to replace pickups on the Most is My IBanez GRX20. Yes it's not the best guitar but by changing other stuff such as pickup height and pedals the sound has really improved. I"m running that into a Peavey Valveking 212, and I play Hard rock, metal, rock, pretty much anything but Country and Death Metal.

I guess what I should say, is this guitar is tuned to drop C and I'm looking for more clarity, it just sounds muddy.
Last edited by Phat Stud 55 at Aug 7, 2009,
The change of pick ups can vary in how much of a difference there is going to be. It depends on what pickups are currently in the guitar, and what you plan to switch to. Also, the amp can play an important role in how much of the pickup is brought to life.
I have a GRX 20! It is a great guitar, and I replaced the humbucker with a Seymour Duncan Distortion... it was a good upgrade for a good price...as for the muddiness, it can be the amp
http://www.youtube.com/user/RichManofAction

200,000 views and counting!

Quote by Perp8tualMotion
This man gets the big golden popcorn trophy which signifies an exceptionally accurate response.

Gear: Jackson SL2H, DX10DFS, Ibanez Prestige RG, Marshall JCM 2000 DSL