I play pretty heavy music, anything metal really. I'm not looking to buy anything at the moment. but i know that somewhere on the line, i prolly won't be wanting to play on my 75-watt combo amp in a croud of 100 or so (crossing my fingers). i've done some research in a guitarworld buyers guide, but i'd also like some human input as well.

I'm looking for an amp head - about 100watts or so. Something with a good clean tone, maybe even crisp. Not worried about a whole lot of gain cuz i'll just add it with a boss metal zone or something. looking for about 500$ or less here

I'm also looking for a single decent effects processer. needs to be footswitchable and great mod effects and the ability to combine effects. I know line6 has some great ones, but i also want to know some others as well. looking at under 400$ or so.

I'm also looking for a few 4x12 cabs that might handle a beating, since i might be using quite a bit of gain. i was also thinking of making one myself with a few Eminence speakers and some plywood, just as a project i'd like to do. if you think of any links that might help me with that or if you think it's a bad idea, tell me now.

I might be looking at some gain sources myself tho. there's a Scott Ian Black pedal that has the old thrashy sound i like. Plus anthrax just kicks ass, lol.
You should put most of your money toward your amp head, that's where you're gonna shape your tone. If you're playing metal you probably shouldn't need $400 worth of effects. Maybe grab a delay, a boost, and a chorus or something. And what's with the "few 4x12 cabs"? That will just be annoying. I'd just get one if I were you.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE ARCHITECT σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

drone/doom/post-metal: http://theygrieve.bandcamp.com
Bugera is the only good-sounding metal new amp youll be able to get at that price range (that I can think of). Either go used or get a Bugera and follow the instructions somewhere on this site abot how to fix the reliability issues.
The world doesn't revolve around you. If it does, beware. You're probably about to pass out drunk.

The 19 year old who knows his stuff. Most of the time.
Quote by Zakkcd
Bugera is the only good-sounding metal new amp youll be able to get at that price range (that I can think of). Either go used or get a Bugera and follow the instructions somewhere on this site abot how to fix the reliability issues.

That's about what I would say. Also like it was mentioned, put most of the money to your amp head, that's what really builds the tone. Maybe some Phaser on that pedal along with the other things mentioned. Good luck.
RIP Terje (Valfar) Bakken
Quote by xwearesinking
You should put most of your money toward your amp head, that's where you're gonna shape your tone. If you're playing metal you probably shouldn't need $400 worth of effects. Maybe grab a delay, a boost, and a chorus or something. And what's with the "few 4x12 cabs"? That will just be annoying. I'd just get one if I were you.

well, i'm not looking for anything too big in effects. i only use two effects combinations in my line6, and just in my intros anyway. i just want one cheap processor that won't f*ck up my tone.

the goal i want in my rig is pretty much simplicity.

and i was thinking of just getting a single cab for economic reasons
and i'm not looking for a real high-gain amp like bugeras; if i want gain, i'd use a pedal. i just want an amp with a crisp, clean tone.
First of all, the Boss Metal Zone really sucks. It's sound really harsh and fizzy. Sell it for like $40-60 and that will raise your budget a little. Also, sell the current amp you have right now and you will a budget of like $600 or so. And don't look into effects right now, as that will make your budget tight. Focus on a new amp.

Second, you don't need 100 watts. 100 watts tube is overkill unless your playing large venues. And do you need a stack? Finding a stack in your price range will be tough unless you get lucky going used.

Third, go used and look on your Craigslist. Where do you live? I can possibly help you.
Last edited by DIMEBAGLIVEDON at Aug 7, 2009,
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
First of all, the Boss Metal Zone really sucks. It's sound really harsh and fizzy. Sell it for like $40-60 and that will raise your budget a little. Also, sell the current amp you have right now and you will a budget of like $600 or so. And don't look into effects right now, as that will make your budget tight. Focus on a new amp.

Second, you don't need 100 watts. 100 watts tube is overkill unless your playing large venues. And do you need a stack? Finding a stack in your price range will be tough unless you get lucky going used.

Third, go used and look on your Craigslist. Where do you live? I can possibly help you.

Well there's an all tube peavy amp that just caught my eye and is in my price range. and if i get one of those dual-output-switcheroos, i could change between logain and higain inputs.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Windsor-Tube-Amp-Head-104003298-i1166254.gc

And i think i might sell my stompbox for an Alexi Laiho EMG pickup for my boost. i love my stompbox tho; if i shape the tone right, i get this Dimebaggy sound i like.

Oh and i live near Sioux Falls SD
Quote by Kear Bear
Well there's an all tube peavy amp that just caught my eye and is in my price range. and if i get one of those dual-output-switcheroos, i could change between logain and higain inputs.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Peavey-Windsor-Tube-Amp-Head-104003298-i1166254.gc

And i think i might sell my stompbox for an Alexi Laiho EMG pickup for my boost. i love my stompbox tho; if i shape the tone right, i get this Dimebaggy sound i like.

Oh and i live near Sioux Falls SD
The Peavey Windsor is a british voiced amp. Won't work well with the music your playing.

I'd still sell the stompbox. Honestly, in most cases Amp's Distortion>Stompboxes. And IMO, Dimebag's tone sucks. A pickup change you shouldn't worry about right now, you should focus all your money and everything to a new amp. Your tone will be much better, as the amp IMO makes up 70% of your tone, the rest is pickups, the guitar, and the player. And by the way, 50 Watts and up is good enough for gigs if it's a tube amp, and I'd say 60 watts and up is good enough it's it's a solid state amp.

Here's some amps to look at near your area. If you get a little more cash by selling the Metalzone and your current amp and putting money to just the amp, you can get the Peavey 6505 head and possibly a cabinet (Vader, Avatar)

http://sd.craigslist.org/msg/1300952324.html
http://sd.craigslist.org/msg/1273914203.html

And what's your current guitar? If it has actives, I wouldn't get the Vypyr.
Last edited by DIMEBAGLIVEDON at Aug 8, 2009,
Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON
The Peavey Windsor is a british voiced amp. Won't work well with the music your playing.

I'd still sell the stompbox. Honestly, in most cases Amp's Distortion>Stompboxes. And IMO, Dimebag's tone sucks. A pickup change you shouldn't worry about right now, you should focus all your money and everything to a new amp. Your tone will be much better, as the amp IMO makes up 70% of your tone, the rest is pickups, the guitar, and the player. And by the way, 50 Watts and up is good enough for gigs if it's a tube amp, and I'd say 60 watts and up is good enough it's it's a solid state amp.

Here's some amps to look at near your area. If you get a little more cash by selling the Metalzone and your current amp and putting money to just the amp, you can get the Peavey 6505 head and possibly a cabinet (Vader, Avatar)

http://sd.craigslist.org/msg/1300952324.html
http://sd.craigslist.org/msg/1273914203.html

And what's your current guitar? If it has actives, I wouldn't get the Vypyr.

i have an epiphone SG. mahogany body i believe. and the humbuckers are passive.
and i thought that getting the new pickup might boost the light british inv. tone into something a little more heavier - and it's not a synthetic stompbox tone.

how's the lowatt vox amps? i hear they have a great heavy metal tone.

and would it be a good idea to get like 4 Eminence speakers and some plywood and make a cab? from what i read, the Texas Heat speakers give quite a bite. and it's nonexpensive to do so.
Quote by Kear Bear
i have an epiphone SG. mahogany body i believe. and the humbuckers are passive.
and i thought that getting the new pickup might boost the light british inv. tone into something a little more heavier - and it's not a synthetic stompbox tone.

how's the lowatt vox amps? i hear they have a great heavy metal tone.

and would it be a good idea to get like 4 Eminence speakers and some plywood and make a cab? from what i read, the Texas Heat speakers give quite a bite. and it's nonexpensive to do so.
The Vox Valvetronix series of amps can do lots of styles of metal, but the Vox AD series when I tried it had a loose low end and when I played thrash on it it didn't sound like I wanted it too.

Pickups are for tweaking the tone, they don't drastically change the tone.

Your idea can be done. Many people have done it. Texas Heat's are great when I tried them in a modded cabinet. I'm currently saving up for one as well.

But In your situation, I would

1. Sell Metalzone and current amp.
2. Put all money towards the amp.
3. Buy the 6505 from Craigslist.
4. Leftover money to buy a cab or make your own.

And do you really need a 4x12? A halfstack is really not needed until you play large venues (like sold out crowds, etc.)It would be more economical (and IMO worth it a lot more then buying a 4x12) to just buy/make a 2x12 cabinet.

And your 75 watt (guessing solid state) can easily do a gig of 100 people. A gig of that size will have a PA system, and even without one would likely fare well. But I'm also guessing that it's a Line 6 Spider? Either that or a Peavey Vypyr.
Last edited by DIMEBAGLIVEDON at Aug 8, 2009,
it's a spider3, and it's pretty good now. just wondering what i'd do when i graduate, get out of the house, and move to Cali. i figured by then, i'd be on a tight budget by then =/

but my bassist/backingvox is stressing about getting a PA system at the moment. the thing is that they are nasty expensive, and we're pretty much flat-ass broke. i think just a few speakers for vox (and maybe drums, haven't experimented with those outdoors yet.) would be just fine. idk, you have any advice on that?

and thanks for the help, dude. the 6505 seems really kickass x] might have to get a noise gate tho....
Buy the 5150, you won't regret it! I know I don't. Noisegate is needed if you cba to turn your volume off on your guitar. It's still a pretty noise-y amp, though. Just an fyi the cleans aren't very good. Usable, but not great.

I too am interested in this diy cab.
Quote by Kear Bear
it's a spider3, and it's pretty good now. just wondering what i'd do when i graduate, get out of the house, and move to Cali. i figured by then, i'd be on a tight budget by then =/

but my bassist/backingvox is stressing about getting a PA system at the moment. the thing is that they are nasty expensive, and we're pretty much flat-ass broke. i think just a few speakers for vox (and maybe drums, haven't experimented with those outdoors yet.) would be just fine. idk, you have any advice on that?

and thanks for the help, dude. the 6505 seems really kickass x] might have to get a noise gate tho....
The Spider 3 sucks IMO. Sell it to get more money is what I would do.

A PA system is always nice to have, but like you said, they are expensive. You'll also need a mixer and mics as well which will cost a lot. If you're playing gigs like bars, clubs, etc., they will usually have a PA system. No need to get one, though it's nice to have in case the odd time a club won't have one.

You will need a noise gate, it's a pretty noisy amp.
Quote by uncreativelolol

I too am interested in this diy cab.

Well i was reading an interview with Nigel Tufnel (Spinal Tap) and he was talking about experimenting with woods in cabinetry. he talked about using different wood (which i completely forgot about) he even used fruits and vegetibles. what woods would one recommend.

Quote by DIMEBAGLIVEDON

A PA system is always nice to have, but like you said, they are expensive. You'll also need a mixer and mics as well which will cost a lot. If you're playing gigs like bars, clubs, etc., they will usually have a PA system. No need to get one, though it's nice to have in case the odd time a club won't have one.

well we plan to play at the local park, which would prolly need our own PA sys.