Hey MT, I'm 16 and about to be a senior in high school. I play piano, bass, and guitar, in my opinion, fairly well, and I also play tenor sax and harmonica(if it really matters check my Youtube account, and also know I haven't uploaded anything in a while). I started off classically on piano, had a 2-year or so "metal" phase during which I picked up some tech-death stuff on guitar, and have since played mostly jazz. I'd like to think, in the least arrogant way possible, that I am pretty damn knowledgeable as far as music theory goes, particularly for someone my age. I can read fairly well. In all honesty, I'm not THAT worried about getting "good enough" to gig or do whatever it is I'm going to do. I think I'm on the right track already and I am damn well going to keep working on it.

Anyway, what I'm REALLY freaking out about, plain and simple, is my adult life I guess. I'm thinking essentially giving private lessons, gigging as often as possible in whatever setting I can get my hands on, and maybe working at a music store. MAYBE session work, but that's not the kind of thing I'm gonna count on. As far as I know, this doesn't sound entirely unreasonable, but the whole game of networking is entirely foreign to me. I need to get gigs somehow, right? How hard is it to establish yourself? How (un)comfortably will I live?

Also, college. I've been thinking about going to Berklee, and am in fact, heading up there in 2 weeks for their summer guitar session thing, but is it really worth the investment(my goals considered)? There are plenty of schools around where I live with good music programs, including the local community college I was thinking of going to to get my GE's out of the way and transfer from. Do I get significantly more credibility from going to Berklee, and does that credibility even matter in my line of proposed work? What do y'all think?
A piece of paper will only get you so far. Assuming it was in a resume you were mailing to a studio or something a deggree from berklee might help you stand out. BUt your crowd isnt going to care what school you graduated from if they dont like your playing. For getting gigs record a demo and hand it around to bars/ clubs place that offer live music. I also encourage you to take your guitar with you and go watch live music often your self if your a good improviser or know cover tunes. you can "sit in" with other live bands and play a couple songs with them. THat wont make you money but it will get you noticed and on the track to getting gigs there.
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
You'll get the most gigs as an upright player, and a lot of schools throw money at good bass players because there aren't as many of them and they are always needed in big bands, small groups, duos, ect.
12 fret fury
Thanks Techno, never really thought about just going into places to get noticed like that, I'll keep it in mind.

Great, I play upright.
No problem!
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.