So yesterday I bought an Epiphone les paul plus top along with a Peavey Vypyr 15w amp from my local Sam Ash. From my understanding these items were both new since they came all boxed up. Unfortunately the Epi turned out to be damaged after I took it home. It has two large cracks along the neck running down from the nut and based on the scratches on the pickguard I can tell that it is used. I am planning on going back today to return it. As for the amp, it looks to be new however the CD that it comes with has pieces of used scotch tape stuck to it. WTF??? Now I paid full price for both of these items since I thought they were new and I feel totally ripped off since they obviously are not. What do I do??
Bring that **** back to the store. That's a lot of money to just take damaged gear from.
-----
Currently using:
B.C. Rich NJ Deluxe Jr. V
B.C. Rich Revenge Warlock
Bugera 6262 212 120 Watt amp :

Coming soon:
B.C. Rich Pro X Mockingbird Hardtail
ask them for 50% off for used amp

make them take the guitar back. and then ask for $50 gift certificate for inconvenience
Quote by ShoeFactory

make them take the guitar back. and then ask for $50 gift certificate for inconvenience

That too lol.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
They are probably going to say that you damaged it yourself somehow
Quote by CoreysMonster
Why, my pasty danish cracker, I believe you've got it!
Quote by Gakbez
They are probably going to say that you damaged it yourself somehow

That could happen

But just be honest, persistent, and ticked off about it at the same time.

If they give you a hard time threaten that you'll take it to a higher authority (their HQ or w/e). If that doesn't do it then actually CALL their HQ and see what they can do.

Don't take anybody's ****.

You PAID for that. You shouldn't get anything less.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by ShoeFactory

This.
And you have been ripped off hellah bad.
Get your money back...if they refuse...make a scene haha. I did that at a GC store after waiting 2 hours for the manager just for him to not even hear me out. After i made a stink about how i was going to report them to the HQ and the better business bureau, they tried to shut me up real quick, walked out of there with my money back and a box full of "old" Products for the inconvenience.

Take no prisoners, take no ****.
Quote by BreeBreeMiikey
Get your money back...if they refuse...make a scene haha. I did that at a GC store after waiting 2 hours for the manager just for him to not even hear me out. After i made a stink about how i was going to report them to the HQ and the better business bureau, they tried to shut me up real quick, walked out of there with my money back and a box full of "old" Products for the inconvenience.

Amen

You ain't gotta take guff from nobody!
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by TheBodomBullet
Amen

You ain't gotta take guff from nobody!

Although, its probably best to wait till a reasonable time to make the scene, timing is key lol.
Quote by TheBodomBullet
Bring that **** back to the store. That's a lot of money to just take damaged gear from.

Indeed.
Quote by BreeBreeMiikey
Although, its probably best to wait till a reasonable time to make the scene, timing is key lol.

Absolutely.

And be genuine about it. Use what you feel.

Don't make it obvious to the other guy that "oh this guy is TRYING to make a scene"

Although even if you do come off like that there's not much the employee can do.

Wow look at me sounding like a professional a$$hole....
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Try and stay calm about it. Screaming and making a scene won't get you anywhere in my opinion althought other ppl seem to have experiences which suggest otherwise lol.
Quote by mikey_360
Try and stay calm about it. Screaming and making a scene won't get you anywhere in my opinion althought other ppl seem to have experiences which suggest otherwise lol.

Well don't scream and shout or w/e lol.

But being a LITTLE loud and assertive will go a long way as long as you back yourself up with good reason and sensibility.
-----
Currently using:

Coming soon:
Quote by TheBodomBullet
Well don't scream and shout or w/e lol.

But being a LITTLE loud and assertive will go a long way as long as you back yourself up with good reason and sensibility.

Yup yup. If you act like a pushover, then they will do exactly that, push you over lol.
tommorow`s saturday guitar stores are allways busy on a saturday, if you go 1st thing they`ll probably hear you if you go later around 11am-1pm thats when there normally too busy and probably want to deal with you quickly and might try to fob you, however ideal oppurtunity wisely so that you win. timing is absolutley critical, i would of told the store i was coming back to set a more ammeniable atmosphere as courtesy works both ways.
considering the cracks are on the back of the neck they are generally stress cracks which appear over time, now since you bought it new there is no possible way that you could have had enoug time to make perfect stress cracks. Thats all you gotta say
~Defiant~
Be calm and reasonable at first, no need to come off as a jackass at first sight, because then they won't take you seriously. If they for whatever reason, deny you a refund/whatever, then you can get a bit more serious, ask to speak the manager, etc. If he tells you to take a hike, tell him you'll report him to the BBB and the guitar center HQ, and he'll probably apologize/whatever, but if he still doesn't, call the GCHQ and inform them about this. There's really no reason to be yelling at people.
Breaking stereotypes by playing indie on a metal guitar.

Current Gear
- Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Plus Top)
- Crappy Strat Copy (Redecorated, looks snazzy)
- Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Guitar
- Ibanez RG1570 Mirage Blue
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Watt
Its an epi you should definately take it out of the box and play it before you walk out of the store anyways.
^^ Sometimes when you buy a new guitar from a store, they don't let you take the one off the wall (since that's not technically "new"). They sell you a brand new thing, in the box.
Quote by BreeBreeMiikey

lmao! your a badass!

definatly take that crap back, although it may have been played in the store, its still considered new, that explains the pick scratches, and buying an LP, you'd better just get used to neck cracks/breaks.... lol (sorry couldnt help it)

sam ash and CG are constantly ripping off people, every guitar they get is sub-par in some way to others in that series, the real dealers get the better stuff. IMO. the manufactures know this and know that GC will fire it out the door at a cheap price with some gak and it'll still turn a profit.
Quote by r0ckth3d34n
^^ Sometimes when you buy a new guitar from a store, they don't let you take the one off the wall (since that's not technically "new"). They sell you a brand new thing, in the box.

Which you should be able to play before you buy to have at least some guarantee of the product's condition. Anyway best of luck in returning back the guitar and hopefully you get something out of it for having to have a broken product when you bought a new item.
i read this then didnt bother to read everyone elses comment soo here goes

if theres cracks at the nut the whole guitar could be recked because of the nut damage it can get it to come untuned alot
Doenst matter what the stores policy might be or if they are to lazy to let you pick a good one. If they say you gotta take a guitar in a box sight unseen then you walk out. A guitar is one of those things you gotta play to find the 1 YOU like not the one they want to sell. I went with a friend to sam ash once he wanted a SG. 1/3 of the epi SGs in the rack were messed up in some way just with a look over before ever playing them. Theres no way I would have let the staff there go get a random one from the back for him to take home.

Besides the one the TS got had obviously been played and dropped at some point. We will just have to wait and see if the place gives TS any crap when he takes it back.
I agree with a lot of the posts go in be polite. If they try and give you a problem then you can get nasty but still stay calm. Threaten them with the BBB and tell them if you don't get a replacement or your money back you'll call the Ags office. It sound to me like the pulled a switch. So I would accuse them of a bait and switch scam. I am assuming you tried the guitar and amp out first! I would never except a guitar I didn't see and try first even if I tried it's twin on the wall.

At one time Epi were very inconsistent now they are almost all identical in quality and sound but I still would open up the box and try it right there in the store.

A lot of guitars get damaged in shipping I can't tell you how many guitars my local shops have to send back because of shipping damage a lot of it due to the lack of bracing or poor quality of the materials used to pack a guitar. I buy a lot of damaged guitars for parts or to repair and sell. Broken necks, cracked necks and broken head stocks are very common shipping damage returns.

John
I bet you will have no problem returning this guitar and getting a full refund. However, you should still voice your opinion on your disappointment. This should not happen. It did. Why?
If you paid with a credit card and they give you crap, tell them you are going to call credit card company and tell them to run a 'chargeback.' This is an immediate refund and the 'chargeback' is bad for their merchant rating. Trust me, they do not want a chargeback. Bring a witness and leave the gear there. Bring a video camera and if you leave it there, tape it with your friend and get the name of the employee you left it with.

But first be polite and tell them how disappointed you are first.

BTW, why did you not expect the guitar (and play it) before you left?
1999 Gibson LP R9
2006 Tele John Cruz Masterbuilt
2007 MIA Strat Sunburst
2008 PRS SC-J Thinline Black Cherry/Bigsby (for sale)
2009 Zerberus Hydra II
2009 Custom Red Strat

Traynor YCV-50 Blue
the Peavy comes with the cd in the paper case taped to the inside of the amp. and the guitar is prob used
Quote by ShredGod George
yup, he does play an ibanez
a log with 6 pieces of yarn would be solid competition for it

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']Kick it in the dick.

Snakes have dicks, right?