Ok so I went to intonate my Strat (well it's a copy) and I am confused cause I watched video tutorial on how to intonate and I know what I'm doing but when I loosen the screws corresponding to each string on the saddle nothing happens like the thing doesn't go back or forth maybe I'm being stupid but any help would be appreciated
Try Loosening the string first, then loosen the saddle screw, then retune.

When loosening the saddle screw, The tension of the string may be holding the saddle in place...

When tightening the saddle screw, if you don't loosen the string first, you'll over tighten the string and possibly break it.

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Last edited by jonmo1 at Aug 7, 2009,
Yeah I did, the best I can is like take the screw out altogether and then the saddle piece is totally free, but when I move it up a little its hard to screw the screw back in and its just the same, I don't get it. It doesn't move by itself if you get me
don't expect the saddle to move much. The total distance the saddle can move front to back is about 1/2 inch or so.

With 1 full turn of the screw, it will only move like 1/16 of an inch. Probably not even that much.

Best way to tell if it's moving is...

Tune string to perfect pitch.
Turn screw a little, like 1 turn at most.
Check the tuning of the string, did it change? If yes, then the saddle moved.

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
Ok I'll try but what's odd is I was looking at pictures of a Strat saddle and they all look nothing like mine, maybe mine is just a little odd

Also little question : Do you compare an open string and a fretted 12th or a fretted 12th with a harmonic on the 12th fret, when intonating?
either you play a fretted 12th into a tuner, or you compare the fretted 12th with the 12th fret harmonic
i would just use a tuner
Quote by Ramza126
Ok I'll try but what's odd is I was looking at pictures of a Strat saddle and they all look nothing like mine, maybe mine is just a little odd

Also little question : Do you compare an open string and a fretted 12th or a fretted 12th with a harmonic on the 12th fret, when intonating?

Post some pics. Maybe previous owner put a different type of bridge or saddles on it.
Circle the screw you've been adjusting, maybe you're adjusting wrong screw

And you compare 12th fretted with 12th harmonic.

If the 12th fretted is Sharp above the 12th harmonic, lengthen string (tighten screw)
If the 12th fretted is Flat below the 12th harmonic, shorten string (loosen screw)

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
DO NOT TOUCH Screw #1 !!!!!!!!!

Screw #2 is for intonation (makes string longer or shorter)
Screw #3 is for action, changes the HEIGHT of the string (how close to the fretboard the string is)

Hope that helps..

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
Last edited by jonmo1 at Aug 7, 2009,
Ok but when I screw two and even I can't see it moving nothing happens, it's stupid :S
Well, those saddles do look kinda old and beat up.
Perhaps the screws or screw holes are stripped..

Loosen the string (REALLY loose, like speghetti).
Remove the string from the tuning peg (don't pull it all the way out through the bridge, you'll never get it back through).
Unscrew the saddle all the way and remove it from the guitar.

Can you screw/unscrew the screw then, with saddle and screw just sitting in your hand?

You can get replacement saddles at a guitar shop pretty cheap.

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
Wait a second...

Are any of those pictures of YOUR ACTUAL GUITAR?
I just noticed they are not all of the same bridge...

The one that you actually linked to in the thread, that you can see without clicking on it. That is the one I was referring to that they looked old and beat up.

The 3 that you have as attacments, they are of a different guitar.

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
no that's not his guitar. it's a copy paste of a guitar i use to help identify guitar parts.

if the saddle is stuck you need to release the string tension and move the saddle with your hand. then change the screw if it's stripped.

i think we went over this in the setup thread.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011