I just got my first microphone, the Shure SM57, to start recording my songs I've written without having to deal with crappy Direct In tones.

Right now, I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, but no matter where I put the mic, it sounds garbage, and nothing close to how the amp actually sounds.

I'm running it through my Line 6 UX1 to my computer if that helps.

Could someone explain to me how to get it to sound better, like where to place it and such?

I'm trying to go for an 80s Thrash Metal tone like Megadeth, Forbidden, Uncle Slam, Vio-Lence, etc.

Thanks, I really appreciate it.
about 1 inch in front of the center of the speaker cone facing straight on
Quote by flashmdg
about 1 inch in front of the center of the speaker cone facing straight on

I know this is nooby, but what's the speaker cone? I imagine the center part of the speaker, correct?
k, thanks alot. It does sound a little better actually.

I guess I just need a better amp because when I strum fast, it sounds like crap.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Have you remembered to turn the gain and EQ down on your amplifier?

I didn't know I had to do that lol

How low should I put everything?
Quote by merkalos666
hey i got my first microphone today, too! i just need to find an outlet for it!

just go buy a good pre-amp like the Line 6 UX1, and something by M-Audio.
Basically with gain, it needs to be lower than you would use live. Remember that your mic isn't picking up what you hear, it's picking up what you would hear if your head was next to the speaker cone, so adjust EQ accordingly. This usually means less gain, less treble & more mids.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by ChadHasADD
I didn't know I had to do that lol

How low should I put everything?

Quote by Sonny_sam
Basically with gain, it needs to be lower than you would use live. Remember that your mic isn't picking up what you hear, it's picking up what you would hear if your head was next to the speaker cone, so adjust EQ accordingly. This usually means less gain, less treble & more mids.

Well explained!
Hey all I'm back, actually got a real mic and a mic stand for Christmas 2 years ago. It's a Shure SV-100W mic and it can be plugged into my Johnson 10 watt amp perfectly! Other than that, I also got a recording type cable with it too.
Normally I'd be annoyed by a necrobump, but thanks for helping me find a multi (ChadHasADD = ChadLikesGuitar)
Hey, look. Sigs are back.