I'm fairly new to this site so I apologise if this is in the wrong section.

What is the best gear for Home recording.

I'm wondering what gear would be best for me to make solo stuff. What is best for recording vocals, acoustic and electric guitar, and maybe some percussion stuff.

Any suggestions, recomendations and general advice is all welcome.

thanks
Budget?
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
I recommend a Shure SM57 mic for guitar recording. Also works well with certain drum applications (not bass drum though). These are cheap and well made, and they sound pretty decent for the price.

Having some sort of mixer is also a great idea for level control, EQ, etc. Beringher makes very cheap ones that get the job done. Also, many recording programs have a built in mixer.

You will probably need both a USB connector for the mic as well as some sort of recording software. I used Reason 4, which is fantastic but the learning curve is pretty high. Garage Band is very popular, and very easy to use. Pro Tools is another popular one. I've never used it personally, but the producers that I have worked with love it.

I hope this helps!
Quote by I am wet
Budget?

Not sure, say about 350 pounds for the primary recording stuff and I would be willing to pay more for decent mics and stuff
Last edited by Jon ROS at Aug 7, 2009,
Well for guitar micing get an SM57, and for vocals alot of people use SM58's
Lets jump in a pool

Last edited by I am wet : Today at 03:26 XM.
there are really cheap knock offs of SM57, there called GLS ES-57. i have one and from what i can tell there's not a difference. they run about $29 new on ebay.
your not going to be a pro at the SM57 recording anyways, you'll need a really great expensive mic preamp to get great tones. so you might as well test your micing skills with a knockoff that really does sound the same. ive been recording guitar for 5 years solid.
get a good sound card that can record at 24 bit 96 hkz resolution. i have a echo mia midi.
that runs for about a $100. or you can go the DI route. which i recommend the Ultra-G DI box. that runs about $50.

i record all my signal straight into sony acid.
lines it up perfect to whatever you play to. then you can pan and add effects super easy from that point. i would hate making music without it.
Last edited by surface54 at Aug 7, 2009,
all this infoirmaton is fantastic and Im already looking about on the internet at some of the stuff suggested and I thank you, looks like recording my solo stuff at home could soon be a reality.

I'm new however to home recording what else is needed, could someone help me out by listing what is needed, so I can have some type of a checklist.

and thanks again guys
Echo mia midi sound card 24/96
Sony acid
GLS ES-57
"if you dont want to mic a cab then get this" Ultra-G DI box
good balanced cables going into the sound card

sony acid for me is just for the recording aspect of it all.
i use fruityloops to make the drums and other artificial stuff and import that into acid.

this is with all the software and hardware i mentioned
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/surface54/music/all/play628546
Last edited by surface54 at Aug 7, 2009,
Quote by surface54
Echo mia midi sound card 24/96
Sony acid
GLS ES-57
"if you dont want to mic a cab then get this" Ultra-G DI box
good balanced cables going into the sound card

sony acid for me is just for the recording aspect of it all.
i use fruityloops to make the drums and other artificial stuff and import that into acid.

this is with all the software and hardware i mentioned
http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/surface54/music/all/play628546

sounds awesome and have you a rough idea how much that will all cost.
By the way thanks for the help mate
Sorry to be a dick...but we have a forum for this. It's called the Riffs & Recording forum.... please read the rules.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
Sorry to be a dick...but we have a forum for this. It's called the Riffs & Recording forum.... please read the rules.

I apologise I thought that section was just for showing off things you recorded, not asking about recording gear.
Quote by Jon ROS
I apologise I thought that section was just for showing off things you recorded, not asking about recording gear.

Yeah, at first I thought that too. If you scroll down though, there is a massive forum located underneath the forum sections.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
yeah you may get more help in the correct forum.

but here is what i do. and my signal chain to pc.
GLS ES-57 $29.99 new
Art mic preamp $29.99 new
Echo mia midi sound card $179
http://www.zzounds.com/item--ECHMIAMIDI
OR
the echo mia is alot of money so try your own sound card first.
get the proper 1/4 to 1/8 and it will work.
you may want to see if any of your friends have a older version of acid to see if you like it first before you go and buy it.

i do NOT have alot of software experience cause ive found what i like to use and i dont anything else anymore.