I haven't been a UG member long but I've been avidly reading posts, comments and suggestions throughout the entire forum. I've noticed a confusing trend...there are a lot of conflicting remarks.

As an example I see the phrase "if it sounds good it's right". When I read discussions in the technique threads I see questions about whether a specific style is "correct" or if a guitar's sound is "high quality". The responses I read are almost entirely "if it sounds good it's right".

Then I read posts in the music threads of people praising a band, song or style and people jump on and say that it all sucks. I'm confused. If I think something sounds good how can it suck when by the very definition of something sounding good is personal taste?

So, if it sounds good it's right but at the same time it sucks. What?!?

There are genres of music I like, some I don't and a few that I can't understand. (i.e. I don't understand how anyone can consider grunting a viable vocal talent.) What is with the constant flaming I see in the music thread?
Guiter: Affinity Strat HSS
Amp: Fender Bullet 150

Preferred Style:
Buckethead
Synyster Gates
John Petrucci
Life-Spoiler: People are opiniated assholes.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai

like me
YOU WILL REMEMBER THIS SIG

8/7/09 man, the pear broke loose.

Rule #1 - I'm the Boss
Rule #2 - The Boss is always right
Rule #3 - When the boss is wrong see rule #2
Quote by Kensai

This...sorry to say. Plus, you're in the Pit.
ಠ_ಠ

Notice how I have not quoted anyone, you could be the first! Make me lol!

198th person with a llama in a sig!

I unfortunately witnessed The Night of The Pear II
confusing contradictions

"if you fall off your skateboard and break your legs, don't come running to me"

"look at the dirt behind your ears"

"shut your mouth and eat your dinner"
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
You sigged me, AND had an idea the same as mine!
I like you.

About my Lady Gaga/Pokemon parody
Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!
I understand that people are opinionated. I highly doubt so many people are assholes. I've been interacting with people for 28 years. If I were to make an educated guess as to the number of assholes I've encountered based off empirical data I would guess less than 5% of people are assholes. Generally speaking people are rather courteous and civil under normal circumstances.

Now, if I look at my interactions on the Internet (via forums, BBs etc.) I would say the empirical data is closer to 75% assholes. What is with the huge discrepancy?

Do people think that spouting off makes them look cool to a bunch of people who they will likely never meet?

Preferred Style:
Buckethead
Synyster Gates
John Petrucci
Quote by ricomoss
I would guess less than 5% of people are assholes.

guys whats the pit doing wrong

Rule #1 - I'm the Boss
Quote by ricomoss
I understand that people are opinionated. I highly doubt so many people are assholes. I've been interacting with people for 28 years. If I were to make an educated guess as to the number of assholes I've encountered based off empirical data I would guess less than 5% of people are assholes. Generally speaking people are rather courteous and civil under normal circumstances.

Now, if I look at my interactions on the Internet (via forums, BBs etc.) I would say the empirical data is closer to 75% assholes. What is with the huge discrepancy?

Do people think that spouting off makes them look cool to a bunch of people who they will likely never meet?

It's because you probably don't have too much contact with 14 year old boys in real life, which is most of the internet forum population. And because most people know they will get their ass beat in real life if they act like a jerk.
Gear:

Ibanez RG3EXFM1
Agile AL 3100
Yamaha G-40
Roland Microcube
Roland Cube 30X
its all about the anonymity of the internet. its basically like having a giant suit of body armor on because no one can get to you. the internet is the ultimate form of free speech.
Quote by WattsyBoy97
guys whats the pit doing wrong

...I'm a bit more confused here. So, what you are telling me is that members of "The Pit" are deliberately trying to be assholes? To what end? What possible outcome is so rewarding that requires asshattery as means to accomplish it?

My guess is that it's almost entirely ignorance fueling the fire.

...just a guess.

Preferred Style:
Buckethead
Synyster Gates
John Petrucci
Quote by guitar-guy01
confusing contradictions

"if you fall off your skateboard and break your legs, don't come running to me"

"look at the dirt behind your ears"

"shut your mouth and eat your dinner"

Amen to this!

Small writing in the middle of big sig.

Quote by ricomoss
What possible outcome is so rewarding that requires asshattery as means to accomplish it?

quite a few laughs for me

Rule #1 - I'm the Boss
Quote by menace-623
It's because you probably don't have too much contact with 14 year old boys in real life, which is most of the internet forum population. And because most people know they will get their ass beat in real life if they act like a jerk.

I think I've found my answer. haha

Sometimes I wish I could reach through the screen and choke the mofo on the other end simply because they are formally relieving society of any potential hope for the future.

Preferred Style:
Buckethead
Synyster Gates
John Petrucci
Quote by ricomoss

Sometimes I wish I could reach through the screen and choke the mofo on the other end simply because they are formally relieving society of any potential hope for the future.

im an asshole because its funny, its the pit too, there has never been or ever will be any hope for the future.

Rule #1 - I'm the Boss
Quote by ricomoss
I think I've found my answer. haha

Shut your mouth and eat you dinner.
Quote by Beserker

I would join in and make it an orgy, f*cking my father up the ass while he gives it hard to my sweet little pumpkin, culminating in me cumming all over his bearded face.

...is that what you wanted to hear?

jesus is the son of god. and IS god.
Quote by edge11
yeah im not at gc dude, i dont live there.

||=(|''''|''''|''''|''''|)>-----
Quote by EEE_ELLL_OHH
Amen to this!

at least one of them has been said by every irish mother at one point in her life
My Deviantart

Great Minds Think Alike
Quote by Son.Of.TheViper
You sigged me, AND had an idea the same as mine!
I like you.

About my Lady Gaga/Pokemon parody
Quote by Mike50227
XD not bad

Quote by ExOblivione
You're my hero.

Quote by myevilside
I must say, i love it!