HI guys i was thinkinng actually about going to a uni.. you know... i am a hard rock/metal guitarist and i wanted a good music uni in LA to go... Im interested may be in studying guitar (im sure noone will teach me more then i know.. but) or may be composition stuff

hmm open for suggesion

also im just in a hurry for some reason which i may not state but I need to be able to go there this year.. you know... may be not a uni but a major studying structure

hmm i guess that doesnt make any sence.. anywayz THNX in advance
Git is in La. THey do music theory, chops classes, classes by genre and recording /production courses as well. I also believe they help with getting you session work after you graduate. Oh and there are guest teachers all the time from what ive read paul gilbert and steve vai show up like once a year atleast
*lust list*
Vox tone lab
Vox ac50
satchurator
satches time machine
vintage phase 90
Money towards this gear = $0.00

Quote by Doctor Matthews
Yeah I dreamt I was fighting Master Hand, but then I woke up to realize I was jackin' it in my sleep.
Quote by vigenharutyunya
(im sure noone will teach me more then i know.. but)

Well that sounds self-absorbed..
Quote by God
I'm Omnipotent, which is to say that my dick eats both meat and plants

Ronnie and Steele, Rockstars today aint half as real.

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio & Peter Steele
If you are interested in composition check out USC or UCLA
frog_friend and WGP: UG's Kramer brotherhood

Ug's 4th ENGL endorser
Randy Rhoads is god
founder of the "ENGL amps" fanclub. PM me to join
Quote by vigenharutyunya
im sure noone will teach me more then i know
hmm open for suggesion

I'll suggest that whatever music school will go to will have to teach you how to bend to the right note and play smoothly, because that's something that's definitely lacking on your recordings.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
here is the link http://www.mi.edu/
it is called musicians institute now .... and is very serious....be prepared to work your butt off...

of course its $$$...

play well

wolf
At this point I'd be concerned whether you'd meet the entry requirements. It looks like you'll have to call them to ask about fees and requirements. There's an open day on the 29th for you to check out.

And "quarter" has the same use all over the world. It means that if you divided one thing into 4 parts, one of those parts would be one quarter. In an academic way it may refer to a term at school.

Is there any reason it has to be something with a "major studying structure"?

And the "Laid Down Blues" demonstrates the same flaws as the others, just being played faster.

Edit: Hey if you go to music school you will DEFINATELY learn how to spell "quarter".
Soundcloud
Last edited by AlanHB at Aug 8, 2009,
Some universities in that area (that weren't listed thus far) are: CSUF, CSULB, UCB, Whittier College, UCI. That is just to name more, look them up.
Quote by vigenharutyunya
(im sure noone will teach me more then i know.. but)
Are you serious?
Quote by rockinrider55
Are you serious?

This guy is an idiot for sure.

TS, maybe you wanna try a community college? 'Cos I don't think you will survive a day on a decent curriculum. And yeah, English is a part of it.
Most places take auditions around march. You aren't going to get admitted to any major program for the current year. You might be able to get into the intro courses like rudiments or musicianship, and do the basic English and whatever that all students have to do. Maybe they will bend over backwards for you though, you are a genius after all
Last edited by Loves Me Trike at Aug 9, 2009,
well ok what i mean by I aint sure they will teach me more than I know... means like I know pretty much but that doesnt mean i do them all in right way...
other wise why practice???

and also... the Laid Down Blues is blues.. i doing some outtta tune bends...

well i need a Studio Visa... I hope toget there.. idk....

ok the point is that my eng aint bad... but I just always write fast and dont check... as my Internet costs too much... and yeah well for exams it aint a prob for me...
Quote by vigenharutyunya
well ok what i mean by I aint sure they will teach me more than I know... means like I know pretty much but that doesnt mean i do them all in right way...

and also... the Laid Down Blues is blues.. i doing some outtta tune bends...

well i need a Studio Visa... I hope toget there.. idk....

ok the point is that my eng aint bad... but I just always write fast and dont check... as my Internet costs too much... and yeah well for exams it aint a prob for me...

If you can't afford dial up internet I don't think you should be thinking about music college lmao
Quote by vigenharutyunya
What?
I think this is what's happened;

- OP has dropped out of school
- Mum has told him to get a job or go to uni, anything to get him out of the house

This explains the lack of English skills, why there has to be something with a "major studying structure" and why there was a question about "quorters" despite not knowing what they were or how they are spelt. His mum asked how much they cost.

Advice: Go back to school or learn a trade.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
I think this is what's happened;

- OP has dropped out of school
- Mum has told him to get a job or go to uni, anything to get him out of the house

This explains the lack of English skills, why there has to be something with a "major studying structure" and why there was a question about "quorters" despite not knowing what they were or how they are spelt. His mum asked how much they cost.

Advice: Go back to school or learn a trade.

Yeah go back and get a degree that is useful. Since you already live in squalor (can't afford dial up internet (LMFAO)) so getting a big debt for a music degree is would ruin your life.
Oh yeah.. u ****ty morons.. yo ujust dont want to help and starrt bashing for a single word??

Yeah i cant afford the dial up cause it costs too much here... I dont live at my home.. tho.. im away from my family.... Why?? because you selfish bastards have never known what means a ****ed up life....

When yo u do nothing and just wait for your lucky day to come... and suddenly some bastards from your governement (not my government but the country's I yet live in) turn your life into ****s... When they take your passport away.. and yo ucan do nothing.. it's illegal but your ****ing government is not against... when you have to go out of home.... not to be cought, couse if you are, you go to jail... Why?? I donno why.... because of this ****ing country.. it's already two monthes im hiding... you know what that means?? icant sleep at nights.. i donno what will happen.. i hear a police sirene some where round.. .and my heart starts beattin... so ****ig fast you cant breath....
and then you come here and say Your mom told you.... I had to celebrate my birthday.. all alone... all alone.,. without knowing what will happen... when you are just floating around... like walking on the edge and beoing about to fall!!! when you are helpless

And yes Im stil in that ****.... newspapers wrote about me.. .my embasy tries to help me but no luck yet....
and getting into a major uni would help me a lot to get my passport back....

And I finished school .... the full degree... and if you think then everybody who finishes the school gotta speak english really well then your just screwed up... Im from anothercountry and English is not my native....
and why i was asking about quorter is becouse in this ****ing country they say 4 yearse... not 8 quorters.....

Satisfied???!!
I literally don't believe anything you've said in this thread. I'm going to *report* this before it turns into a complete mess.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Oh well then read my blog.. it's grammar sux but ...

seriously you think i'd make up all the thing??

I could proove what i say if you knew armenian/russian... may be.. i even wrote messages to some Human Rights structures but had no reply.. and even wrote a mail to Medvedev - the president of my country... russian federation....
Yikes....

I'll keep the thread open for now, as there are some people who are genuinely willing to help out in a productive and constructive manner.

Please remember to review the UG rules if you're not sure. It should go without saying that personal attacks and name-calling (aka 'flaming') are against those rules and are an automatic warning.

I read the blog which was posted well over a month ago.... could well be true. I'm not about to go around asking people for proof.

Yes, TS rubbed some feathers the wrong way when he said that anything any teacher would tell him, he already knew, so he kind of asked to get some gear grinding, but not flaming.

Outside of the obviously unhelpful posts, there are some good suggestions. At this point, you really need to find out directly from them:
-what each school's audition requirements are
-what their timelines are for application

A quick phone call will do the trick there.... or even an email to their admissions department if getting to a phone is an obstacle. Surely, they will also be able to tell you about fees.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
I quickly looked at the blog too, I have a better feeling for this now.

The problem, if the story is true is that OP has been drafted into the Armenian Army. Armenia is a province in Russia. According to the blog, if students in Armenia fail the tests to get into university, or straight-out fail school they get drafted into the army for two years.

So the OP thinks that if he gets into a university, he will avoid the draft. Unfortunately, he hasn't.

I have no way of verifying any of the claims, or furthering the subject matter in the thread.

I'd ask though;

- Your parents must be relatively wealthy to get out of Russia, can't you just come to an agreement?

- Are you living in or close to LA? If you are still in Russia, why don't you apply to a closer university, and if you are in LA I'd be wondering why exactly the army has gone to this trouble to track you down specifically.

- If you have already been drafted, would getting accepted by a university help? I'd get off UG and check out the technicalities associated with drafting.
Soundcloud
The problem, if the story is true is that OP has been drafted into the Armenian Army. Armenia is a province in Russia. According to the blog, if students in Armenia fail the tests to get into university, or straight-out fail school they get drafted into the army for two years.

So the OP thinks that if he gets into a university, he will avoid the draft. Unfortunately, he hasn't.

I thought it was that that the OP is a Russian living in Armenia, so he technically isn't Armenian, but the Armenian army still want him.
Call me Batman.
OK first things first guys!

First my thanx to axemanchris

thank you man not for closing this thread...

To AlanHB

The story is true BUT! A. the Armenia aint a province in Russia.. It's another independet country! Armenia and Russia are just alies... So me and my family were living in Armenia for awhile actualy... i was not going to any of the local unis couse they suck....
Yes if you dont go to the Uni you are being drafted to the army.. But that's only for armenian Citizens...
I am not armenian citizen, just a resident in here... so my passport is russian and they have no rights to take my pass away from me... the same thing says my council..!!!
My own country's rules differ.. if i have the passport kind that lets me to live out of Russian Federation all the time... I can go to Russian Army by a contract... meaning by a desire and get money per month.. but i dont want...!

And i dont have anything to do with that lwa in armenia as im here just like a tourist!

Ok the questions are that
- me and my family are living in Armenia now... (for more then years)
- I dont want to apply for russian unis as they aint good much... and I want to USA as it is the only place with rich music industry
- they couldnt draft me.. couse what they do is illegal.. they had to give my passport back.. as all the facts are against it and they know that! They are just acting like dickheads like "If we didnt win, then you won't win either" and just trying to give up on me so easily

It's just safer for me to get out of this country and if i have a strong structure waiting for me on the other side of the earth, it'll be WAY more easy!

to the J.A.M...
ok batman.. your complitely right! they were just complaining about me being also an armenian citizen as i was born in Armenian and blah blah blah... my embassy contacted the armenian OVIR (visa and pasport section) and recieved a negative answer about having an armenian citizen of 1991th year and with my name... but even after that.. they wanted to sue me up but.. now they stay quiet.. as are afraid...

hmm this country is complitely totalitar... you know if you are interested.. then you can read my other blog about March the first... read what the current government has done to innocent people... women and children... and the police have killed more then 16 peoples... armless peoples...

It's just safer for me to get out of this country and if i have a strong structure waiting for me on the other side of the earth, it'll be WAY more easy!

In that case I don't see why you have to go to L.A, think about Universities all over America and the UK too.
Call me Batman.
Am I right in thinking that you'd prefer to be drafted into the army than go to a local university?

You should just go to a local one and apply for transfers to overseas.
Soundcloud
Well the only thing why i want the LA is that Ive got some good really good friends and well i wont be out htere all alone.. you know..
hmm as for local unis.. no way.. couse I'll have togo sto some [places where i can be easily drafted to army.. illegally .. or to the jail till my sueing process ends...
how long have you been playing? one of my friends, whos attending musicians institute, has only been playing 5 years, but he is beyond belief awesome. listening to your playing, im not saying its bad, but it could be better. i asked him if i would be able to fit in, and he claimed he had trouble with some of the material. you just need to be a little more cleaner in your playing is all
This thread is silly. I could go on and on about the different universities and different courses available in a multitude of countries all over the world that are easier to get into than a specific music school in LA, or the pluses and minuses of studying anything anywhere vs being drafted in the Armenian army, but it would be no use.

I don't think the situation is as serious as the OP states.
Soundcloud
Rather than discussing it here, it might actually be more efficient to email their admissions departments for more info?

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

I contacted them and not onlythem./. too...

but im not working one just one way.... :/

hmm well my recordings aint good much.. the best one is the last one but anyways it's not that good...

Ive been playing about 10 or more years.. (though got deeper into this thing around 5 or 6 years... ago) but Im one of the best rock solo guitarists in my city and country .. haha

EDIT: Im not actually worrying about being chosen by the MI...
It's not that much hard for me i think... (Imena Im just quiet sure on my self... being sure is good ) and also it just depends on you.. if you are worth, you are accepted
but I dont have the money to finance the study in there... or may be any other University...

I was looking for a financial aid from Armenia (Im armenian born so it applies to me)
the thing is that they have their list of top 25 unis all over the world.. and it says if you want to apply to a uni that is not written there you'l lhave to meet and prove them that it's a really good university in it's Area (in this case in Music)... any help doing it??
Couse im gonna call em tmaro and shedule a meet...
Last edited by vigenharutyunya at Aug 12, 2009,
Quote by vigenharutyunya

but Im one of the best rock solo guitarists in my city and country .. haha

I'm hoping that this is just a bad translation.
Soundcloud
I don't really know anything about MI, but I listened to your blues and it seems you're a little bit full of yourself.

You're rhythm playing and soling are both really rough. Try practicing your parts slower to get everything smooth.

Now with your soloing, I suggest listening to some blues players and how they put soul into their playing. Right now you're sounding a bit like Nigel Tufnel attempting blues...
You simply think you're better than you are. That's ok, it's a mark of a beginner. Once you play on stage enough you'll finally get some abuse and be put in your place.
Soundcloud
Or better... play with musicians who are more experienced/advanced/accomplished than you so that you have a higher bar to compare yourself to.

All players, regardless of ability level, do well to find someone or some group of people where you feel like, "man, I have to work to keep up here."

CT