Long story short, I'm planning on building a 2x12 extension cab. Got a line 6 spider 3 75w, and the 12" celestion just doesn't cut it. Tired of running through a PA with another guitar, keyboard, and vocals, everything gets all freakin' muddy.

Amp is 8 ohms, planning on running two 12" Eminence Man-o-War's, both at 16 ohms in parallel to match the 8 ohm "head" (if you wanna call it that.) just don't have the money for a 4x12. That and I'd like to start off with something simple and easy, first time getting my fingers into this kind of thing.

Question lies in materials. Do the speakers I've got picked out need separate drivers or are they already built in? I know this has most likely been asked before but I searched and couldn't find anything on it, correct me if I'm blind here.

Also, just want to run by the rough draft schematics I've got so far.

Dimensions are 26.4"L x 21.0"H x 14.75"D, pretty much stole the dimensions from the spider 3 150W plus an extra 4 inches of depth to easily hold the bulky friggin' 75W I'll be using for a head. Will be using 1" thick MDF sheet wood, 16 gauge wiring, have no idea where I'll be going for a grille but I'll figure that out as I get there, and I'm informed a standard 1/4th phone jack will work just fine as an input.

Before I go and spend the $220 or so it'll cost for all this, I'd rather get an opinion first if it'll even work or not.

I appreciate the help. Any constructive critism would be great.
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Quote by Ishiga

Question lies in materials. Do the speakers I've got picked out need separate drivers or are they already built in? I know this has most likely been asked before but I searched and couldn't find anything on it, correct me if I'm blind here.

You don't need drivers... I would recommend something other than MDF. It's heavy as hell and not your best option. Believe it or not Pine would be better.
Some 3\4 decent plywood will do the job perfectly, have it nicely braced though. Mdy is heavy, troublesome and i've heard it poisonous.
has no-one hear heard of speakon.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Quote by Vikingx
You don't need drivers... I would recommend something other than MDF. It's heavy as hell and not your best option. Believe it or not Pine would be better.

True. Really a lot of cabs are built out of "marine grade" birch ply because of it's strength and that.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by fatgoogle
Some 3\4 decent plywood will do the job perfectly, have it nicely braced though. Mdy is heavy, troublesome and i've heard it poisonous.

Speakon connectors are a god-send.... It's all I use for DJ systems because of the locking mechanism. Listen to this man... if you're building it, use good parts. Since your head would be "locked" to your cab, it's one less thing to worry about.
Last edited by Vikingx at Aug 7, 2009,
I would be interested in how it sounds when you are done, those cheap celestions are crap, it will probably make the spider sound much better.
Yes I've heard of speakons, my bassists' rig uses them. If it really makes that much of a difference, then a few extra bucks isn't much for a sturdier setup. As for the MDF, I read it would handle the vibrations well without falling apart, Pine and Fir were also brought up, but who trusts e-guides anymore? lol.

Other than the speakons and wood materials, anything else I'm potentially screwing up here?
Quote by fly135
Great list Rutch. On re-reading this one I'd have to say Solid State means not liquid or gas.

I figured it out.
Much appreciated Viking.

&&Will do Tempoe. Unfortunately this may not come for a couple of months, piss broke at the moment, waiting on a bit of money to come in here. Hopefully in the next couple months. Those cheap celestions truly are garbage, and running from the output of the spider straight to a PA, sounds much better, but still not quite the sound I'm looking for.

Running two EQ's through a Spider, it just overprocesses the tone of it and makes it sound even more digital. Anyone else who owns one should know exactly what I'm talking about. I play mostly progressive/experimental metal, so I naturally use a good bit of distortion. I keep my mids somewhat scooped for rhythm and switch to a mid-boosted channel for lead, and it sounds pretty damn thin on my rhythm channel.

It'll never be a tube amp, but right now all I'm getting is an over-sampled thin feedback-nightmare. It sounds fine to me when playing at a normal talking volume, but I can't exactly gig with that. Hell, can't even practice with my drummer with that. Hoping some speakers with a bit more girth to em can actually bring the spider to its' true potential.
Quote by fly135

I figured it out.
Might help, but I bought my kid a spider and in my honest opinion:
"bring the spider to its' true potential" is contradiction in terms... like jumbo shrimp, or military intelligence.
They are what they are...
Think of it this way: worst case scenario is that you'll have a cab for your next amp.
That was my point exactly, worst case is cab for next amp. At the very least I'll get some hands-on experience here, and hopefully begin to really peak my interest into gear customization.

The spider is and always will be a modelling amp. Very few modelling amps actually sound alright, the cube being the only one I've heard. The Spider is a very digital amp, and it sure as hell sounds like it, but on a budget it gets the job done. It seems to handle my RR3 pretty well, and I've come to terms with the fact that I don't need the most amazing tone in the world, I'm not ready for that kind of godliness yet. That'll come in time, when I can actually afford a Diezel.
Quote by fly135

I figured it out.
Well, good luck bud. It'll be a fun project, I'm sure. I've built a few and was always pleased with the results. Look me up if you need anything else.
Will do, much obliged. Notes taken, bookmarks saved, it's gonna be fun. Thanks for the help.
Quote by fly135

I figured it out.
Quote by fatgoogle

I think the dust from MDF is bad for your lungs and ****. Also speakons are a gr8 idea but you might need a special adaptor cable as very few guitar amps have speakon connectors, they're mostly used for high power applications like PA systems and some top end bass amps.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Monster Cables makes a 1/4th to speakon cable. That wouldn't be a problem at all. The dust from MDF, looked it up, contains formaldehyde which is very bad for your lungs, but it's in trace amounts that can be filtered out, making it just as bad as any other wood dust. Problem with MDF dust is it's very fine, making it easy to pass through nasal cavities and straight into your lungs. The dust is the only real issue, after it's all cut down and the dust is vacuumed up, it's just wood.
Quote by fly135

I figured it out.