So i love to play fast lead guitar but im not that into listening to it. It seems there are a zillion guys on youtube doing the fast leads but when you go to local gigs there are rarely any shredders.

Is it old or overdone? Do you detest shred playing? I guess wanking is an appropriate name for it.
Quote by Serg1
So i love to play fast lead guitar but im not that into listening to it. It seems there are a zillion guys on youtube doing the fast leads but when you go to local gigs there are rarely any shredders.

Is it old or overdone? Do you detest shred playing? I guess wanking is an appropriate name for it.

Not really.
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by Serg1

i love to wank.....

i wank alot

i wank realy realy fast

faster than the guys on youtube

once my mom saw me wank...she was amazed at how fast i wanked

my mom loves to listen to me wank
Quote by Valid12891
I wish I had an extra sensitive third nipple, and a girl who was into that sort of thing.

Quote by _Ixnay_
In Russia, Winter Cold + Vodka + Big-Chested Women = No problem.

Book of shadows 2?
O_o
i enjoy seeing fast players as everyone in this area is **** apart from me
IAMREALLYCOOL
Quote by zckdion
...wank.....heheh

Seems you´re the only one who sawwathedidere
Quote by Holy Katana
Your last job only paid you $7.00 AUD an hour? That's like $6.05 in the US. What the hell is the minimum wage over there?

Quote by titsmcgee852
$0 for volunteer work

ollollolollol

^
Quote by angusfan16
Not really.

Wanking is defined in my area as playing obnoxiously, just to show off, noodling, soloing where there is no solo in a song, totally flipping the solo of a song around (say we're listening to "Every breath you take" by the police, someone adding whammy's and "shredding" in it is a no no). It is frowned upon in most societies.

Pentetonic wanking is frowned upon ten times more.
I prefer melodic solos. I can't stand players who can't lay down a decent lead line, and ones who use wah for every single solo. So, yes, I dislike seeing people publically wanking.
Quote by IAMREALLYCOOL
i enjoy seeing fast players as everyone in this area is **** apart from me

How are you not banned yet?
I've said it before and I'll say it again (Actually I've never said it before but it's more rhetorically effective to pretend I have) - 'Oh god not another thread about how there's no soul in shred and how awesome teh s0ulz is'
Quote by wizards?
Wanking is defined in my area as playing obnoxiously, just to show off, noodling, soloing where there is no solo in a song, totally flipping the solo of a song around (say we're listening to "Every breath you take" by the police, someone adding whammy's and "shredding" in it is a no no). It is frowned upon in most societies.

Pentetonic wanking is frowned upon ten times more.

Hm....good point. We'll have to add that one to Urban Dictionary.
Sail upon the open skies
Quote by DieGarbageMan
since when is wank not censored?

I don't but I'm not complaining.

wank
Quote by guitarhero_764
I think you need to stop caring what people think about it. I stayed home all day today and masturbated like 5 times. Fucking blast.

Ibanez ATK300 ◈ Sansamp VT Bass ◈ EHX Nano Small Stone ◈ Hartke LH500 ◈ Ashdown/Celestion 115
Quote by wizards?
Trust me, I know the definition of wank pretty well.

Bet ya do!

Wait.....
Quote by Holy Katana
Your last job only paid you $7.00 AUD an hour? That's like $6.05 in the US. What the hell is the minimum wage over there?

Quote by titsmcgee852
$0 for volunteer work

ollollolollol

^
Quote by Stormx
How are you not banned yet?

i have not done anything wrong and everyone here likes me
IAMREALLYCOOL
wanking wankers, yeah, drives me nuts when they don't have any emotion or clue how to be melodic. This is the case with 90% of shred and many other genres as well. I hate blues rockers who play the same stupid generic licks over and over and think they are godly. Cobain had more soul than most of em.
Quote by Tempoe
wanking wankers, yeah, drives me nuts when they don't have any emotion or clue how to be melodic. This is the case with 90% of shred and many other genres as well. I hate blues rockers who play the same stupid generic licks over and over and think they are godly. Cobain had more soul than most of em.

Well that may be true, but the one with real soul would be, TOM DELONGE, ditching friends for music. that takes balls and soul.

Nvm, that isnt true
Quote by Holy Katana

Quote by titsmcgee852
$0 for volunteer work

ollollolollol

^
Quote by Nilpferdkoenig
There is a difference.

Zakk Wylde wanks, Paul Gilbert shreds.

And another case is closed
Your mother likes it ruff, Trebeck.
Why does everybody hate the pentonic scale? IT"s all you freaking need, unless you suck. If you need a certain sound, ADD MORE NOTES. It's an easy scale to add notes to. As long as you know your way around the fretboard, and you don't just play the scale straight, it's great.

Anyway, if you play fast just to play fast, I'm not going to listen to you. If playing fast fits what you're doing/mixes with other kinds of playing in a solo, so be it. But don't play fast just to be fast.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Quote by Pencil Man
Why does everybody hate the pentonic scale? IT"s all you freaking need, unless you suck. If you need a certain sound, ADD MORE NOTES. It's an easy scale to add notes to. As long as you know your way around the fretboard, and you don't just play the scale straight, it's great.

Anyway, if you play fast just to play fast, I'm not going to listen to you. If playing fast fits what you're doing/mixes with other kinds of playing in a solo, so be it. But don't play fast just to be fast.

If you add more notes to the pentatonic scale, then it isn't the pentatonic scale anymore.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
No one likes to be in a band with a wanker. That's why you never seem them live.
Hey Meg.
Proud of you.
Quote by BobMarleysGhost
If you add more notes to the pentatonic scale, then it isn't the pentatonic scale anymore.

So? I'm not some kind of music theory person who prefers everything prefecto and stuff. I like things to sound good, and if they don't, I change the way they are played.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Quote by Pencil Man
So? I'm not some kind of music theory person who prefers everything prefecto and stuff. I like things to sound good, and if they don't, I change the way they are played.

Dude, just no.

Don't go there.
Quote by Pencil Man

Then don't say that the pentatonic is "all you freaking need, unless you suck".

I wasn't arguing that any solo that uses pentatonic scale is instantly bad. I think the pentatonic is a great scale to start with, and makes learning the major scale and major scale modes far easier. I like many solos that use the pentatonic scale, and I think it is a great choice for when you want to go for that definitive "rock" sound.

I was just saying that you seem to have inadvertently used lots of different scales in your musical career, so shouldn't say that only one scale is the only one anyone needs.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
Quote by jetfuel495
I only wank when I can't remember what I'm supposed to be doing.

I only wank my guitar when I can't remember how to play something.

Woah ho ho, that's pretty clever.
Quote by In The Mist

I'm paying for the

Debtklok [x2]

Ben Bernanke, taller than a tree.
Hilary Clinton, not a bumblebee.
Nancy Pelosi, Pelosi, Pelosi.
Joe Bidan, doodily doo. (Ding-dong, doodily, doodily, doo.)
Barak Obama.

Debtklok [x4]

Quote by BobMarleysGhost
Then don't say that the pentatonic is "all you freaking need, unless you suck".

I wasn't arguing that any solo that uses pentatonic scale is instantly bad. I think the pentatonic is a great scale to start with, and makes learning the major scale and major scale modes far easier. I like many solos that use the pentatonic scale, and I think it is a great choice for when you want to go for that definitive "rock" sound.

I was just saying that you seem to have inadvertently used lots of different scales in your musical career, so shouldn't say that only one scale is the only one anyone needs.

Sure, but the penatonic scale is definately for more than a 'rock sound'. Tat makes is sound like it's for retards who can't play anything and aren't sophisticated.

edit: But I agree.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Quote by Pencil Man
Sure, but the penatonic scale is definately for more than a 'rock sound'. Tat makes is sound like it's for retards who can't play anything and aren't sophisticated

.......Are you drunk?
Quote by aaciseric
I prefer melodic solos. I can't stand players who can't lay down a decent lead line, and ones who use wah for every single solo. So, yes, I dislike seeing people publically wanking.

+1
Quote by Nietsche
.......Are you drunk?

No, I just misspell things sometimes.
Quote by SlackerBabbath

Quote by IAMREALLYCOOL
i have not done anything wrong and everyone here likes me

Nope. You're a douche.
Quote by Ed Hunter
The only time I'd want to touch a 500 degrees frying pan is to set my hand on fire and punch someone in the face.

Quote by Captain Insano
Soulja boy! They stole his gold.
Robbed his Jacket now he's cold!

YOU! Steal from Soulja boy.

*sings over crank that*