Quote by mick13
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vox-AC4TVH-Guitar-Amp-Head-4-Watt-NEW_W0QQitemZ160352206366QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2555bc7e1e&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

would i need to buy a cabinet to play? obviously i would after buying that but why does it say 4 watts and what not if you cant play without a cabinet?

That's what she said.......

you need a cabinet. a 1x12 would work fine.
I've bought, sold, and traded more gear than I care to admit.
Quote by mick13
really... really?

Very really....

Again, you do need a cabinet. A Vox 1x12 matching cab would go nicely with it.

The reason they say 4 watts....is because the output transformer....outputs 4 watts of power......

watts =/= volume.

watts = power rating.

EDIT:

Drew....running it straight into a recording interface will blow up the output transformer and likely the recording interface as well.

It needs to be hooked to a load, and then if it has a line out, then it is safe....but ONLY while its connected to a load such as a cab.
Last edited by Brendan.Clace at Aug 7, 2009,
What everyone else said, plus most heads will be damaged not hooked up to a cab

Quote by MightyAl
How do you physically download an album? Like run your computer off a dynamo on an exercise bike?
well than whats the difference in what amp head you get? if i got a bigger one it would be more expensive, but im still gonna hook the head up to the cabinet..
Last edited by mick13 at Aug 7, 2009,
Quote by mick13
well than whats the difference in what amo head you get? if i got a bigger one it would be more expensive, but im still gonna hook the head up to the cabinet..

Yeah.

I mean, 4 and 5 watt amps have their niches among the community, however, I mean, if you are buying a cabinet anyways, you just have to keep the cab wattage above the head wattage.
Quote by mick13
what does getting a combo amp mean?

A combo amp is essentially an amplifier and a speaker (or 2 or 3 or 4) in one enclosure.

For example, the Vox AC30 comes in combo and head/cabinet form. They certainly have their differences and pros/cons, but the final decision is up to you.

For example, one of the pros of a combo is that they are lighter (usually) than a head/cab version, and are smaller, and therfore more portable. However, a con of a combo is that you sacrifice bass response and some low end.
oh, thanks a lot guys (especially Brendan.Clace) your helping a lot.

so more expensive heads are usually just better tones? or what?

and how do you tell how loud the amp will go if wattage does not mean volume?
^Generally. But, a SPider 3 or MG head may be more expensive, but it will probably sound shiitier than any other cheaper amp you put it against.

But those are just the "bad" amps in the guitar world. If you avoid those then usually, yes The greater the price, the better tone/quality you get. Remember, tone is subjective though

EDIT^ you really can't tell all that much until you try it. For example, 100 watts will be barely any different from a 120 watt, but a 100 watt will be only twice as loud as a 10 watt. Kinda confusing, I don't really understand it eiter. Anyone feel free to correct me.
My Setup
Epiphone SG
Ibanez RG2EX1

Line 6 Vetta
Peavey Vypyr 15 for teh lulz

Check my clips out

Click foar epic clipz
Last edited by DiSTuRBeD -26- at Aug 7, 2009,
Sometimes I wish amps didnt have speaker grills on them. It leads to these questions.

Cue the mic'd Marshall head picture!
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
it says that VOX amp head has these controls:

Tone, Volume, OP Level Controls

how would you turn distortion on/off, up/down?
Quote by mick13
oh, thanks a lot guys (especially Brendan.Clace) your helping a lot.

so more expensive heads are usually just better tones? or what?

and how do you tell how loud the amp will go if wattage does not mean volume?

More expensive heads are usually high gain heads or a well known brand. Not necessarily better tones, just usually tube heads with more channels, features etc.

Wattage is a measurement of the power that the amp outputs. You can only tell "how loud the amp goes" by trying it out. I mean, wattage can be used as a GAUGE for volume...but its usually best to judge for yourself. For example, There is little volume difference between a 50 and 100 watt head, however, the difference comes in how long the amp will stay clean as the volume is increased, and how much low end response the amp has.

I mean, obviously a 50 watt head is louder than a 5 watt head...but how much louder can only be measured by dB.

EDIT:

As tube amps increase in volume, the tubes "saturate" with power and start to "clip" causing a natural very musical sounding distortion. This is how distortion is created. Most tube amps dont have a "distortion" knob like most digital amps do...however they will have a "gain" control. Increasing the gain control causes more preamp clipping and causes distortion earlier. This is not always as musical as power tube clipping however.
Last edited by Brendan.Clace at Aug 7, 2009,
Quote by Brendan.Clace
More expensive heads are usually high gain heads or a well known brand. Not necessarily better tones, just usually tube heads with more channels, features etc.

Wattage is a measurement of the power that the amp outputs. You can only tell "how loud the amp goes" by trying it out. I mean, wattage can be used as a GAUGE for volume...but its usually best to judge for yourself. For example, There is little volume difference between a 50 and 100 watt head, however, the difference comes in how long the amp will stay clean as the volume is increased.

I mean, obviously a 50 watt head is louder than a 5 watt head...but how much louder can only be measured by dB.

EDIT:

As tube amps increase in volume, the tubes "saturate" with power and start to "clip" causing a natural very musical sounding distortion. This is how distortion is created. Most tube amps dont have a "distortion" knob like most digital amps do...however they will have a "gain" control. Increasing the gain control causes more preamp clipping and causes distortion earlier. This is not always as musical as power tube clipping however.

okay thanks i get it now
so like i said, what would control distortion ?
Quote by mick13
okay thanks i get it now
so like i said, what would control distortion ?

Increasing the volume would give you distortion, and its likely that the tone control has something to do with the midrange of the amp.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
Increasing the volume would give you distortion, and its likely that the tone control has something to do with the midrange of the amp.

so would it be possible to play loud and clean ?
Quote by mick13
so would it be possible to play loud and clean ?

That's where headroom comes in. That's the problem with lower wattage amps. They don't stay clean as long. How loud is loud? I mean, nowadays the only reason people go with 100W amps is headroom and low end response.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
That's where headroom comes in. That's the problem with lower wattage amps. They don't stay clean as long. How loud is loud? I mean, nowadays the only reason people go with 100W amps is headroom and low end response.

one last question

I found a nice combo VOX amp but its only 30 watts, can you make it any louder? If I wanted to do more gigs I would want a louder one. can you do anything to make combo amps louder? you can't connect them to a cabinet can you?

thanks for all the help
Quote by mick13
one last question

I found a nice combo VOX amp but its only 30 watts, can you make it any louder? If I wanted to do more gigs I would want a louder one. can you do anything to make combo amps louder? you can't connect them to a cabinet can you?

thanks for all the help

Dude, if it's an AC30, they are loud as HELL! Loudest 30 watt amp I have ever played. I certainly think they are more than loud enough to gig with, and I am sure that Brian May and The Edge agree with me

Also, for most gigs... your amp will be mic'd through a PA system, and yeah, you can always connect it to more cabinets

The only reason I use a 100W head is so that I get very little power tube saturation. It sounds better for the genres I play.
Quote by mick13

This is a whole other thread and discussion lol.

This amp is what people like to call a "hybrid" amp.

There is a preamp tube in the preamp (durr...), but it has a solid state power amp. These amps actually sound very good for what it tries to do....but it will sound very different from an all tube amplifier, and also, will be about as loud as a 15 watt all tube amp.
Quote by Brendan.Clace
This is a whole other thread and discussion lol.

This amp is what people like to call a "hybrid" amp.

There is a preamp tube in the preamp (durr...), but it has a solid state power amp. These amps actually sound very good for what it tries to do....but it will sound very different from an all tube amplifier, and also, will be about as loud as a 15 watt all tube amp.

well I really don't want to start a new thread, so I'll ask here
can anyone tell what amp this is?

Quote by mick13
well I really don't want to start a new thread, so I'll ask here
can anyone tell what amp this is?

That is a VOX AC30
Quote by mick13
now i definitely want to get one

haha, glad I could be of help! They are amazing amps....and loud as hell. They have a really great sweet spot where it is just tone heaven. Just don't expect br00talz out of it.
br00talz?
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
Thanks! Saw that somewhere else here, too.
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
If you play a head without a cab, you'll damage the amp.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad
Quote by angusfan16
I got my sister pregnant once. Yeah, that was awkward, but mostly because she's 6 years younger than me.