I am just wondering, I have been playing guitar for almost a year now, and I have only cleaned it twice. Hopefully I have cleaned it the right way . I wettened a rag and then squeezed the water out in the sink until just damp. Then wiped my wooden
acoustic guitar with a rag, then dried it with another dry rag. Hopefully I did it right . It had a few nicks through the finish hopefully the water didn't absorb through there.
Last edited by B.Rainwater at Aug 7, 2009,
umm, i don't think it's a goood idea to clean with water. i may be wrong, but i've heard it can warp it, etc. use just a little windex or pinesol. or get special guitar cleaner spray. but windex is cheaper. just be gentle and don't let it dry. also, don't use wax. it'll cake up and get nasty.
METALLICA!!!
___________ ____________

Epiphone Les Paul
Epiphone Sunburst
Ibanez V70CENT
LINE 6 Spider III 15
Peavey Bandit 112
Jim Dunlop, Dava, First Act Picks
Look for a product called Lizard Spit. It's a white-ish clear-ish liquid in a squirt-bottle that you can clean both electric and acoustic guitars with, it gets out stains and bad smells and such really well. Don't use it on your fretboard though, because it can stain or discolor it. I've used it on different guitars from basswood to mahogany, it works really well. They sell a different product specifically for fretboards. Wipe it down with a microfiber cloth (like a glasses-cleaning cloth), or I have a couple cloths made by different companies made specifically for wiping down guitars.
Quote by santa_man99
Look for a product called Lizard Spit. It's a white-ish clear-ish liquid in a squirt-bottle that you can clean both electric and acoustic guitars with, it gets out stains and bad smells and such really well.

It doesn't cake up or anything does it? Gorilla Snot cakes up real bad and can damage your guitar.
METALLICA!!!
___________ ____________

Epiphone Les Paul
Epiphone Sunburst
Ibanez V70CENT
LINE 6 Spider III 15
Peavey Bandit 112
Quote by SaiNt adEL #13
umm, i don't think it's a goood idea to clean with water. i may be wrong, but i've heard it can warp it, etc. use just a little windex or pinesol. or get special guitar cleaner spray. but windex is cheaper. just be gentle and don't let it dry. also, don't use wax. it'll cake up and get nasty.

Say what?!?! Windex is a definite no-no since it contains ammonia, which is a caustic chemical with a high pH. What the TS did is the preferred way of cleaning guitars. Also there are waxes made just for acoustic guitars.
Quote by B.Rainwater
I am just wondering, I have been playing guitar for almost a year now, and I have only cleaned it twice. Hopefully I have cleaned it the right way . I wettened a rag and then squeezed the water out in the sink until just damp. Then wiped my wooden
acoustic guitar with a rag, then dried it with another dry rag. Hopefully I did it right . It had a few nicks through the finish hopefully the water didn't absorb through there.

Yep, you did good. Water is the ONLY thing some guitar mfr's recommend to use on their instruments. The use of anything else can void the warranty and could ruin the finish.
Quote by LeftyDave
Say what?!?! Windex is a definite no-no since it contains ammonia, which is a caustic chemical with a high pH. What the TS did is the preferred way of cleaning guitars. Also there are waxes made just for acoustic guitars.

sorry, tht's just wat my guitar teacher said. i've never used windex. i always use Martin guitar cleaner. but waxes cake up. i wouldn't recommend using a wax, cuz it'll get all nasty to touch, plus dirt, etc. will stick in the wax.
METALLICA!!!
___________ ____________

Epiphone Les Paul
Epiphone Sunburst
Ibanez V70CENT
LINE 6 Spider III 15
Peavey Bandit 112
Quote by SaiNt adEL #13
sorry, tht's just wat my guitar teacher said. i've never used windex. i always use Martin guitar cleaner. but waxes cake up. i wouldn't recommend using a wax, cuz it'll get all nasty to touch, plus dirt, etc. will stick in the wax.

If they were normal waxes like turtle wax that you'd use for your car then yes, you would be correct. However, there are some special waxes that won't get buildup designed for acoustic guitars. Of course, this only works on acoustic guitars with gloss finishes. If you used a wax on a matte or satin finish, it would probably stick.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Quote by captivate
If they were normal waxes like turtle wax that you'd use for your car then yes, you would be correct. However, there are some special waxes that won't get buildup designed for acoustic guitars. Of course, this only works on acoustic guitars with gloss finishes. If you used a wax on a matte or satin finish, it would probably stick.

idk. all i know, my dad used to use Gorilla Snot on his Epiphone and it f*cked it up. So he quit and after I took at it with some spray cleaner it's begun to get better.
METALLICA!!!
___________ ____________

Epiphone Les Paul
Epiphone Sunburst
Ibanez V70CENT
LINE 6 Spider III 15
Peavey Bandit 112
Just go to GuitarCenter, if theres one where ever your at.
or a local guitar shop.
they should have cleaner.
tnx you all 4 help i have a same problem like some on this forum and its gone tnx...
Quote by SaiNt adEL #13
idk. all i know, my dad used to use Gorilla Snot on his Epiphone and it f*cked it up. So he quit and after I took at it with some spray cleaner it's begun to get better.

I thought gorilla snot was for putting on your pick to stop it from slipping?
Go to a store and buy actual cleaner for it.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
The easiest thing to do is buy a proper one from your local guitar store, this way, your 100% sure nothing will be ruined
Wait.

Roger Waters - 12th May!