Page 1 of 2
So, i go to my grandparents and find a guitar in their attic. It is old, it says fender stratocaster on the headstock. When i found this i had no idea what that meant so i played it for a while and its intonation was crap and the pots were worn out. So i decided id take it home and pay somone to fix it.

That was 3 years ago, i went to a boarding school and forgot about the guitar it sat in my room at my parents house until recently.

I got the serial number checked it out it was made in the mid to late 50's in the us plant.

Being done with my other strat project and seeing a thread that had a guitar that looked similar to mine i call my parents to get them to drop it off at my house so i can work on it. I am then told that my parents proceeded to take it out of the closet, let my sister play with it , who left it on the floor, my father stepped on it and broke the neck clean off so they decided it was crap and threw it out. Yes, my parents threw out my 50's usa stratocaster. What would you do?
~Defiant~
Omg! That story scared me.

*hugs strat*

You should have PUNCHED THE CRAP OUT OF EVERYONE INVOLVED!
Quote by SlackerBabbath

I also have hairy butt cheeks, I once shaved a letter 'W' on each cheek, so that when I bent over it spelled WoW.

warning, some of the contents of this post may not necessarily be completely true.
Set yourself on fire and start tackling your family members through plate glass windows.

Repeat this process until you feel better.

WARNING!: THIS USER HAS BEEN KNOWN TO BE AN OPINIONATED ASS. ALWAYS USE CAUTION WHEN READING POSTS AND NEVER USE NEAR AN OPEN FLAME.USE ONLY AS DIRECTED.KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

That is the worst thing in the world!! I am actually shcoked and speechless, an original of the worlds best guitar broken and binned, brings a tear to my eye.
Falcon............... PUUUUUUUUUNCH!!!!

Honestly, 50's strat? DDDD:
Quote by BobDetroit
Directions:
Unplug keyboard.
Place it in your butt so you can't post anymore.

Quote by Fadetoblack5:03
You deserve some form of awesome reward, but I'm to lazy. Imagine the rest of these:

ouch! I guess you should have taken it a long time ago.
You probably should have told them it was worth more than $10,000
Last edited by Tempoe at Aug 7, 2009,
i wasnt even gonna sell it i was gonna make sweet sweet love to it. :'(

when my mom told me she threw it out i was like, you are aware you just threw out 2 peices of broken wood worth more than your car right?
~Defiant~
So, i go to my grandparents and find a guitar in their attic. It is old, it says fender stratocaster on the headstock. When i found this i had no idea what that meant so i played it for a while and its intonation was crap and the pots were worn out. So i decided id take it home and pay somone to fix it.

Knows enough about guitars to know intonation was off, but didn't know enough that an OLD Fender Stratocaster might be worth something???

Anyone else notice that??

2001 Ernie Ball Music Man Axis Super Sport
2001 MIM Standard Strat
Peavey Classic 30 112 Combo.
My Gear
Quote by jonmo1
Knows enough about guitars to know intonation was off, but didn't know enough that an OLD Fender Stratocaster might be worth something???

Maybe didn't know much about vintage guitars :P
Quote by Hotpress
Maybe didn't know much about vintage guitars :P

I don't know crap about cars, but I know an OLD Mustang just MIGHT be worth investigating to see if it's worth taking care of and not just leaving in the garage at my parents house where kids live...

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
I... I think I'm going to need anti-depressants now.

**** you op. **** you.

In all seriousness, I think it would be the worst day of my life.

|_|0|_|
|_|_|0|
|0|0|0|
▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄
Quote by jonmo1

This.
I call BS. Everyone knows about Strats. Even people who've never touched a guitar. Let alone someone who can tell when the intonation's off.
My name is Danny. Call me that.
i know now that the intonation was off, that was three years ago, the first guitar i ever played. I knew that it was old so probobly worth money hence me bringining it home and hiding it. And god no i didnt leave it in the garage, it was in a temperature and humidity controlled closet, seeing as my grandfather was a carpenter i know a thing or 2 about wood.

I only recently figured out it was from the 50s as i took it to a guy at a shop here in town and he checked the serial number for me.

edit: and any retard could have seen that the intonation was off, the neck was so warped i could stick my full hand under the strings at parts
~Defiant~
Last edited by Aurex at Aug 7, 2009,
Wow, a truly sad story. I'm sorry to hear that. It really is like stomping through the Mona Lisa and tossing it out. Just some old canvas, right? Right.

I hate when my parents mess up my stuff, so I emphasize to them constantly to take the utmost care of them and basically just avoid them. I'm always worried though. Carpet cleaners come through and ruin everything.
Quote by Perp8tualMotion
Thank you, Red Comet, for restoring a bit of my faith in human kind.

That statement indicates you DID know about it's problems at the time.

This is 1 of 2 things.

1. Story is BS
2. You have no one but yourself to blame for not researching a potentially valuable item.

Edit:

edit: and any retard could have seen that the intonation was off, the neck was so warped i could stick my full hand under the strings at parts

This story is getting better and better...

the neck is warped, and you can put your hand under the strings, that is not intonation problem...

If you could put your hand under the strings, how on earth did you "Play it for a while" ??

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
Last edited by jonmo1 at Aug 7, 2009,
Quote by jonmo1
That statement indicates you DID know about it's problems at the time.

This is 1 of 2 things.

1. Story is BS
2. You have no one but yourself to blame for not researching a potentially valuable item.

Edit:

This story is getting better and better...

the neck is warped, and you can put your hand under the strings, that is not intonation problem...

If you could put your hand under the strings, how on earth did you "Play it for a while" ??

(i compressed your quote a bit, took a few spaces out)

Now First; i did know there were problems, hence why i took it home to get fixed as i previously stated. Second Yes i have no one to blame but me for not taking care of it sooner. Third, just because the strings are an inch to an inch and a half off the frets it is not impossible to play especially for somone who does not know what its supposed to sound like, somone like a complete begginner holding their first guitar with no one to show them, like i was as i stated. Lastly, any typographical or spelling, grammaticall or vocabularical errors (yes i make up words deal with it) are caused by me posting this from work as i attempt to work at the same time. So please dont insult me by saying its fake without asking questions to clarify first. I have proven myself not a troll especially recently by helping in the EG forums the GG&A, AG forums and GB&C forums. The problems you notice are par for the course when alt tabbing between this and what im supposed to be working on.
~Defiant~
That's a good $35,000 out the window. Darn.

But how could anyone be dumb enough to throw away a guitar, even if it was broken?

an INCH to a HALF INCH of the neck!?!!?! Good lord, I can't even get my action to be that high, and I have a tune-o-matic bridge.

I'm not sure what I think about this story. Tragic, but sketchy.
I honestly can't see a neck being SO BAD, that the strings are 1 1/2 inches off the fretboard. Really, especially a Fender Neck, but any guitar neck. I don't care how poorly cared for the guitar is, that is just rediculous.

If the problem was that the strings were that far off the fretboard, and the neck extremely warped, why would you only say the Intonation is out of wack, with no mention of the warped neck?? I don't care that you're working and typing at the same time, I call that BS.

And yes, if the neck is that bad and strings that high it would be impossible to play. Even someone who knows nothing about guitars would know something is seriousely wrong with the guitar and would not be sitting around playing on it. Just like someone who knows nothing about cars would know that if the tire is flat, I probably shouldn't be driving it.

Now, why would your father just assume it's garbage and throw it away? Especially after breaking it. You would think he would have kept the pieces for you and said "Sorry" or something. (this is not an insult on your father, because I don't believe it actually happened).

So I stick to it, I call BS.

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
Quote by jonmo1
I honestly can't see a neck being SO BAD, that the strings are 1 1/2 inches off the fretboard. Really, especially a Fender Neck, but any guitar neck. I don't care how poorly cared for the guitar is, that is just rediculous.

If the problem was that the strings were that far off the fretboard, and the neck extremely warped, why would you only say the Intonation is out of wack, with no mention of the warped neck?? I don't care that you're working and typing at the same time, I call that BS.

And yes, if the neck is that bad and strings that high it would be impossible to play. Even someone who knows nothing about guitars would know something is seriousely wrong with the guitar and would not be sitting around playing on it. Just like someone who knows nothing about cars would know that if the tire is flat, I probably shouldn't be driving it.

Now, why would your father (a Carpenter who knows stuff about wood) just assume it's garbage and throw it away? Especially after breaking it. You would think he would have kept the pieces for you and said "Sorry" or something. (this is not an insult on your father, because I don't believe it actually happened).

So I stick to it, I call BS.

First things first, learn to read; "MY GRANDFATHER" was a carpenter; and i spent time helping him. My father is fat, retarded and a computer nerd. Second I call intonation problems anything that has to do with action or tension of the string. Sorry if i use the wrong word, its just how i think of it. Also, my family thought it was crap, because i told them it wasnt working properly. So they assumed it was broken and like many of my other projects i would never get back to it so they threw it out. Lastly; i knew something was wrong with it as i was playing it. I stated that now 3 times in my previous posts, but alas your reading skills are not as high as your flaming skills. It wasnt impossible to play, it was difficult and i never said otherwise.
~Defiant~
I just saw that about the grandfather is a carpenter, my bad, I withdraw that part of my statement..

And this is not flaming, this is calling your bluff on a BS story.
Flaming is insulting you or your gear.

2001 MIM Standard Strat
My Gear
You state you were a complete beginner and it was the first time you had held a guitar, but you knew the intonation was off. No mention of the tuning after sitting that long. You stated you had no idea what it was supposed to sound like, so how did you get it in tune to notice the intonation was off?
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Swart STR Tweed
Quilter 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Quote by Aurex
First things first, learn to read; "MY GRANDFATHER" was a carpenter; and i spent time helping him. My father is fat, retarded and a computer nerd. Second I call intonation problems anything that has to do with action or tension of the string. Sorry if i use the wrong word, its just how i think of it. Also, my family thought it was crap, because i told them it wasnt working properly. So they assumed it was broken and like many of my other projects i would never get back to it so they threw it out. Lastly; i knew something was wrong with it as i was playing it. I stated that now 3 times in my previous posts, but alas your reading skills are not as high as your flaming skills. It wasnt impossible to play, it was difficult and i never said otherwise.

Reading is quite a useful skill.
I'd fall to the ground weeping... sobbing... No guitar should have to go through that, much less a 50's stratocaster!

That story, no lie, made tears well up in my eyes... outside the internetz.
Quote by jonmo1
I just saw that about the grandfather is a carpenter, my bad, I withdraw that part of my statement..

And this is not flaming, this is calling your bluff on a BS story.
Flaming is insulting you or your gear.

TS, this guy's got you.

Also, i don't believe that you could have any idea how a guitar should feel or how the intonation should be (seeing as that is knowing something about guitars) without having heard of a Fender Strat. It's one of the most famous machines in the world.
Once more, I call BS.
My name is Danny. Call me that.
I am not taking a side, but maybe the TS is just someone who does not know much about guitars, but knows enough to know when one is not how it should be. Maybe he did not know what intonation actually meant, and mistook it for something else. And why would someone make this up? It does not seem like there would be any satisfaction in making up a story so that people on a forum feel bad for you...

EDIT: And before I started playing guitar, I had no clue what a Stratocaster was... I did not even know what a Les Paul was!
Last edited by The3818919 at Aug 7, 2009,
Quote by The3818919
I am not taking a side, but maybe the TS is just someone who does not know much about guitars, but knows enough to know when one is not how it should be. Maybe he did not know what intonation actually meant, and mistook it for something else. And why would someone make this up? It does not seem like there would be any satisfaction in making up a story so that people on a forum feel bad for you...

EDIT: And before I started playing guitar, I had no clue what a Stratocaster was... I did not even know what a Les Paul was!

He's gaining the benefit of people feeling the following:

A) Jealousy because he supposedly acquired a vintage stratocaster that if it was in good condition (aside from the supposed warped neck and other issues) would be worth over $30,000.

B) People being upset that his supposed horrible parents broke his guitar.

C) When people call his bluff he tries to justify his claims even when people have pointed out the flaws in his posts. The people who started flaming had a reaction to his post just like people who weren't flaming him had a reaction. That is the definition of 'trolling' if I recall. A troll on a forum is someone who makes up a really big story to get any type of reaction.

Going back to my reason of B. I highly doubt your parents would let your sister play with the guitar. Even if they thought it was a piece of junk. Also, from the sound of it, it appears your sister might be under the age of 8. Even my parents know to not let my brothers play with my guitar. It's just common sense because, cheap or not, it's still a musical instrument.

Also, if he's not a troll, then according to one of the definitions of Narcissism, he has a personality disorder.

Narcissistic
Narcissistic personality disorder is characterized by self-centeredness. Like histrionic disorder, people with this disorder seek attention and praise. They exaggerate their achievements, expecting others to recongize them as being superior. They tend to be choosy about picking friends, since they believe that not just anyone is worthy of being their friend. They tend to make good first impressions, yet have difficulty maintaining long-lasting relationships. They are generally uninterested in the feelings of others and may take advantage of them.

Also, TS. I call this a bluff too. If I stumbled upon an old guitar, I'd get it appraised or look up the serial number even before getting it fixed up. Even some older people on those auction shows know to do that and they actually inherited the guitar and knew nothing about it.
Quote by Aurex
I only recently figured out it was from the 50s as i took it to a guy at a shop here in town and he checked the serial number for me.

how did you take it to a shop if your parents threw it out?

TS, if this story is true, i am very sorry and i feel your pain.
i myself would probably cry if this happened to me.
but youve seem to messed up some of your words, and kinda told a crooked story, leading some of us to believe its BS.

if you just clear this stuff up for us no one will say BS.

but seriously, if the story is true THAT F***ING SUCKS.
i would cry
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
IF that happened to my guitar, and it's not even as valuable as a 50's strat, my face would be on the news in about twenty minute.
OP is a retard for not having the guitar appraised and insurance put on it.

You have no one to blame but yourself.
Quote by Zamorak
OP is a retard for not having the guitar appraised and insurance put on it.

You have no one to blame but yourself.

What if he's not old enough to buy the insurance yet? If he's still in college and doesn't have a steady income to pay for the insurance, I don't think they'd let you get it
Ibanez S540

MXR EVH Phaser
Ibanez TS-9
Ibanez WD-7
Electro Harmonix LPB-1

Traynor YCS 50 Blue
hmm actually I doubt he could've made a claim on it anyway, still OP's fault.
I believe that anyone who had found out the value of such a possession would have immediately informed those entrusted with its safekeeping. If not, he's a moron.
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Swart STR Tweed
Quilter 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Sketchy stuff here to me as well. If I were a n00b to guitar, I wouldn't think I would know the terminology of what intonation IS to a guitar and NOT know what a Fender Strat was. And why would your parents throw it away, even though they broke it, knowing that you wanted it? Even if it was broken, it's still something that belonged to a loved one in the family right? Sentimental value baby!

I mean if the neck was bowed that bad, yet you played it for a while and knew the intonation was the culprit but didnt know how famous the Fender brand/name was?

Tooo many inconsistencies here, I must jump on the BS wagon as well.
Page 1 of 2