G'day folks. I'm not too regular here, though i did read the FAQ and its various offshoots. Alas, here is my pickup problem. ](skip to bottom if you're lazy)[/
My Jackson RR24(alder wings, maple NTB) has an awesome neck, i really love it. I just cannot make the EMG81 usable in conjunction with my other guitars (mainly the Tele, my main)
It's simply too hot, its pushes my clean channel very hard and creates unmatched volume, making live playing tricky. I considered the 18v mod, dont think it will cut it (and i'd have to actually snip some wires to do it.) So, i think i'll a moderate output passive pickup in it.
I am leaning towards SD, since i love the PG+ and '59 in my tele. And, they're fairly easy to attain in my area. I am looking for a warmer tone, not too hot. One example could be "Right Now" by Van Halen. I dig that tone. My band covers tunes by Aerosmith, Metallica, RHCP, Velvet Revolver. Our originals generally demand versatility, so I need something with acceptable cleans. I play through a Marshall TSL60 head, cab is loaded with G12-T75s. Fairly dry signal, sometimes some verb, delay. Wah is used regularly, not that it matters. Model tones would be RTL album by Metallica, Van Halen, Iron Maiden, Dream Theater, Chickenfoot (the warmth in the tone for sure) .
SUMMARY (Lazy readers, start here)[/
Jackson RR24- Maple Neck through body with alder wings.
Looking for bridge pickup to deliver warm tone.
Marshall TSL60 through G12-T75s.
Model Tones- Early Metallica, Van Halen, Chickenfoot, Iron Maiden, Dream Theater.
Looking to trade EMG for pickup BTW. Don't want to spend ****loads, please no swineshead pups or anything too expensive. Duncans are the right price range.
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
Last edited by wyldeshredder at Aug 7, 2009,
Right now im thinking Peary Gates. Anyone have any opinions on how the JB or Custom Custom would do?
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

you could try the dimarzio PAF Pro its more of a modern take on the a PAF , its medium output but cuts through gain quite well got great tone and its organic but if you have to go duncan im sure the JB will do
Gear:
Jackson SL1 !
Jackson SLS3 w/ bk warpig
ibanez RGA 121 with D sonic and paf pro
peavey triple X with JJ 6L6s and celestion G12k-100
bad monkey
mxr 10 band eq
digitech hardwire dl8
paul gilbert's airplane flanger
eh PAF pro is OK. I say 59. It's a good moderate output, warmer bridge pup. In the neck is where it's at, but the bridge model is OK too.

Ever try reducing the volume knob? And I see why, for you, EMG's have distorted cleans. You ahve a marshall and non-high gain other pickups. For me, EMG's have VERY clean cleans. More so than the JB or D Activator X. Duncan Distortion, however, is very good. Very clean cleans with great tone. kinda weird because it's their highest output passive. Got a lot of ball in OD.
Jackson RR5 ivory w/ EMG 81/85
Jackson DX6 w/ SD Distortion & Dimarzio Super Distortion
Fender Starcaster Sunburst
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Quote by wyldeshredder
Right now im thinking Peary Gates. Anyone have any opinions on how the JB or Custom Custom would do?

I am not that fond of the Custom Custom. Think a JB is hard to beat. Had a few in maple bodied guitars over the years and always liked them.

EDIT: Also as Apak said, the Super Distortion is sweet!
Last edited by halo71 at Aug 8, 2009,
Quote by halo71
I am not that fond of the Custom Custom. Think a JB is hard to beat. Had a few in maple bodied guitars over the years and always liked them.

how did they sound in maple bodies? For me, I don't even like the tone in alder. I don't know how i could bear a JB in maple. That being said, JB is a good pickup. High gain. In my experience, it doesn't clean up as well as an 81 at 9 volts. Don't take just my word for it though. Try it out. Every other guitar has one in the bridge.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
Very crisp and edgy, not warm at like in a mahogany body. Don't think I've tried them in alder.
haha. I was asking because I think the JB lacks balls and bass. Good for leads, but IMO sucks for rhythm. That's the main reason I don't like it.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
I used to have it. Didn't work for my style. EMG's are OK too. Never played on a pickup that was just absolutely great. EMG 81 and Duncan distortion are the best i've played on. TS, get a JB if you want. It's pretty versatile and does high and moderate gain things very very well. it'll lose some balls because EMG 81 has the most out of all pickups i've tried, but you might like the JB.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
RR24 is one pickup only.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack
oh yeah, duh.....I was reading too much into his liking of the Chicken Foot tone.
whew, thanks for the replys lads...first time i checked, it was 34 views, no posts.
I'm thinking the JB will be a little bright for me, and hot aswell. It's like 16.4 or something i think.
And yes, volume knob has went down. EMG's just arent the tone for me.
Thinking 59 is the top option right now. I'll check out the PAF Pro for sure though
Anybody ever tried throwing an SD Jazz in the bridge?
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

Anybody know anything good about the screamin demon?
AND, add Dream Theater tone to the list. John's clean on Hollow Years live is very nice, and its def. bridge pickup (for the electric parts, of course) and his gain tone is awesome. I think a lot of that credit can go to Mesa though... But anyways, really dig that.
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer

Quote by wyldeshredder
whew, thanks for the replys lads...first time i checked, it was 34 views, no posts.
I'm thinking the JB will be a little bright for me, and hot aswell. It's like 16.4 or something i think.
And yes, volume knob has went down. EMG's just arent the tone for me.
Thinking 59 is the top option right now. I'll check out the PAF Pro for sure though
Anybody ever tried throwing an SD Jazz in the bridge?

whoa jazz in bridge seems weird. Just go witht he 59 or the new dimarzio crunch lab. That's what petrucci uses.
Mesa/Boogie DC-3
Johnson JT50 Mirage
Ibanez TS-9
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Boss CE-5

ISP Decimator
Boss DD-6
Korg Pitchblack